Upgrading RAM and HDD

guru_urug

iGoogle
My config is in my siggy. I am rocking a pretty old 500GB HDD Seagate SATA HDD as my sole primary HDD for years now. Its serving me well and still running perfectly cool, but Im in the need for more internal storage. And I have waited a year for HDD prices to normalize again to pre-flood rates. While I am at it, I also want to upgrade my RAM capacity, since RAM prices are beginning to increase. I want to jump on the opportunity to get RAM at an acceptable price while I can.

Budget: 6-8k. Though capping it at 6k will be preferable.
Buying sources: Online only. Since I am in Mumbai (Flipkart,Primeabgb,TheItwares)
When am I buying: At the earliest, may post order today evening itself.

HDD:
capacity: atleast 1TB, I don't think I really need 2TB but its currently the sweet spot for GB/Rs

Below are the options I am considering:

WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB Internal Hard Drive - WD: Flipkart.com

and

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM001) - Seagate: Flipkart.com

I am leaning towards the 1TB WD blue since I save money which I can use to upgrade later and also since Ive heard WD is very good with its service.

RAM
I have 4GB RAM (2GB+2GB). It is basic corsair 1333Mhz value RAM. I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM. I have a few options here. My motherboard has 4 DIMM slots, 2 of each channel. Should I sell off my 2x2GB RAM and get a 4x2 GB RAM kit? Or should I just buy 1x4GB RAM and run it like this: 2GB + 2GB on one channel and the 4GB on the second channel? AFAIK its the amount of RAM on each channel that classifies as dual channel as opposed to the number of sticks on each channel. Please advice here and suggest me the best RAM option.

The WD Blue is enough if you don't mind 1tb. WD service is better than Seagate's from what I've been hearing. Wait for other member's opinions on the ram.

Shiva

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
1TB HDD is available for ~4k at FK, locally you will be able to get for 3800.

Hmm I understand your point bro. But bro, for me to travel to Lamington will cost atleast 100/- and some more cash if I grab a bite to eat. Plus I lose half a day walking in this hot weather. I may save 50 bucks for my effort and lost time. I go to Lamington only if I have to buy more than 2-3 parts, then I incur substantial savings.
Im finalizing on the WD 1TB blue. Will wait for 30 mins for anyone else's views.

Also please help me decide on my RAM config.

Hmm I understand your point bro. But bro, for me to travel to Lamington will cost atleast 100/- and some more cash if I grab a bite to eat. Plus I lose half a day walking in this hot weather. I may save 50 bucks for my effort and lost time. I go to Lamington only if I have to buy more than 2-3 parts, then I incur substantial savings.
Im finalizing on the WD 1TB blue. Will wait for 30 mins for anyone else's views.

Also please help me decide on my RAM config.
> Got your point. Buy online.

> For RAm, you can use 2Gb + 2GB + 4GB, however, if you can sell off the two 2 GB sticks, than 2x4 GB would be better. Running identical rams is always better.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Thanks Harshil, Placed order for 1TB WD Blue :)

I can wait for a few days for RAM. HDD was urgent since I was running out of space.

How much can I get for 2x2GB RAM? one is 3 years old and the other is 2 years old. I too realised that it will be better to keep identical RAM sticks. I dont mind selling it on this forum.
But in the future again 8GB sticks will become cheaper and then I will probably think of selling off my 4GB sticks.
Instead I am now thinking of keeping 4+2+2 and then later on when I need more RAM I can switch to 12GB by 4+4+2+2

Last edited:
Top Bottom