Upgrading OS X

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I currently have OS X 10.5.8 installed on a MacBook Aluminium Unibody late 2008. I want to upgrade my mac, especially because i have stopped receiving updates, and things like Java, flash etc no longer work.

There is one option to upgrade to OS X 10.6, which requires a $29 upgrade, but I fear it will be outdated soon, and my mac does support the latest, 10.8, so why not take that?

But, 10.6 is a requirement for 10.8 (the installer needs to run under 10.6), and purchasing them both at the same time would mean costs of $29 + $19 .

Also, i run XP / Ubuntu in virtual machined (not both at same time), so does getting the latest OS without a RAM upgrade make sense ( I have currently 2 X 1 GB of RAM, both slots are full, so will need to buy new RAM sticks also, computer supports maximum of 4 GB RAM officially, but 8 GB works according to this ) ?

Please help ASAP, as most services are not usable anymore on my mac.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@aaruni how about getting a Dvd from Apple store and format it like a windows PC? If not I don‘t think there‘s much of a work around.

Offtopic:
@pratyush997 Google the word “vaibhavtek“
You seem to remind me of him. He was a TDF legend BTW.

Neo

Your Mac is pretty old. I don't think much can be done without spending money. Install Ubuntu/Mint and remove OSX, that would be good.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@doomgiver : serves me right for what?

@neo : obviously upgrades can't be bought without spending money. I am looking for the cheapest way to make it working again. can not remove os x and install linux because sister *needs* to use os x. check siggy for my laptop. mac is sister's

i asked imagine store the same query through mail.

they are asking for serial number and phone number....

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
imagine store replied by telling me that my mac is too old for lagless operation of lion or mountain lion. They advised me to opt for Snow Leopard.

If I go to the store for the upgrade, then they will take 1500 + tax, format my drive, install OS X 10.6 . The downside, i will not get a retail disk. Also, they say that they will not provide any software warranty.

As for the ram, they say that they will not upgrade it beyond 4 GB, as is the max specified in the official documentation. They say that a 2 GB module from apple will cost about 10,000 :shock: and a 2 GB module from a third party source will cost about 3,000...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, I could have mailed you a bootable pen drive with the Mountain Lion installer if I was in Delhi. Sadli, I'm not. :(

Does your Macbook have nVidia 9400M? If yes, then it's fine for Mountain Lion.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
yes, i do have 9400 M, but i mentioned running VM in my requirements. Also, your Mountain Lion installer, wouldn't it be install on one system only ? And i read that Snow Leopard is a requirement for lion or mountain lion, as the installer runs under a booted up snow leopard or later.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
not a chance. only online services have stopped working, and i have stopped receiving software updates. The things which are already present on my system still work pretty nice (iLife, iWork).

hdsk.23

~ Harshdeep ~
upgrading to Lion I wont recommend.
It will slow down your laptop for sure. I did the same for my MBP late 2010 with 4 gigs ram model. It went very slow. Then I upgraded it with 8gigs to make it back to normal for mountain lion.

And yes u need to install snow leopard first for mountain lion.....

Top Bottom