Upgrading old pc - Suggest CPU Mobo RAM

dexterz

Journeyman
Planning to upgrade from my 10year old i5 2500K, Z77 Extreme4 motherboard due to frequent BSOD while playing games. No particular pref for Intel or AMD. Suggest good combo that will not bottleneck future upgrades if I want to switch from 1080p to 4k gaming.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Gaming - World of Warcraft, League, Diablo3, Totalwar Warhammer

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 40~50k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win10/11

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: Reusing current.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Will continue to use my Benq 27inch 1080p monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: only planning to upgrade Cpu, Mobo, RAM. Reusing all other components (gtx1060, corsair hx650, 850evo and crucial ssd, wd 2tb drives)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 1~2months

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai. Either is fine.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

4K gaming is actually less demanding. High fps, like 100+, taxes CPU more than 4K resolution. Obviously, CPU usage varies from game to game.

CPU - Intel i7 10700F - 25.5k
Mobo - MSI Z490 A Pro - 15.5k
RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 8k
Total - 49k

Good budget cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 34 Esports Duo - 4.4k

Reason for i7 10700F? You already have a dGPU + this is still a good 8 core CPU for gaming esp at that price. Just make sure you unlock its power limits from BIOS to use its full performance (4.6GHz all core freq) otherwise it gets capped to 65W power draw with lower all core freq. I think it draws over 150W w/o limits at full load on all 8 cores, so make sure you have the cooling. Stock cooler is good for 65W. Check reviews for i7 10700K, the i7 10700 is just a bit slower.

CPU mid range (1).png
CPU mid range (2).png

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
4K gaming is actually less demanding. High fps, like 100+, taxes CPU more than 4K resolution. Obviously, CPU usage varies from game to game.

Total - 49k

Reason for i7 10700F? You already have a dGPU + this is still a good 8 core CPU for gaming esp at that price. Just make sure you unlock its power limits from BIOS to use its full performance (4.6GHz all core freq) otherwise it gets capped to 65W power draw with lower all core freq. I think it draws over 150W w/o limits at full load on all 8 cores, so make sure you have the cooling. Stock cooler is good for 65W. Check reviews for i7 10700K, the i7 10700 is just a bit slower.
I'm currently using a TRU120E cooler. Wonder if I can get a compatible bracket and reuse it. I'll check the local pricing for the above combo. Anything on AMD side of things worth looking at?

K_akash_i

Journeyman
ryzen 5 5600x -28k online or lower (good option if u have a gpu)
GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO-12k online(i dont know if it needs a bios update,which is not a big problem imo,there might be better options too)
3200mhz 8gb*2 _8 to 9k

I'm currently using a TRU120E cooler. Wonder if I can get a compatible bracket and reuse it. I'll check the local pricing for the above combo. Anything on AMD side of things worth looking at?
R5 5600X + MSI B550 Gaming Plus is a good combo for pure gaming. It's similar to i7 in gaming performance, but i7 has a lead on productivity. I don't usually recommend Intel, but after price cuts, a few CPUs are a good value. 5600X draws like 90W or so, I think, with some OC potential, great CPU for gamers.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
R5 5600X + MSI B550 Gaming Plus ///
Total - 49k

do these suggestions still hold good? or has there been any other recent change? Got caught up with work and had to postpone the upgrade I had planned then to now.

R5 5600X + MSI B550 Gaming Plus ///
Total - 49k

do these suggestions still hold good? or has there been any other recent change? Got caught up with work and had to postpone the upgrade I had planned then to now.
Yes

Cooler alternative - Deepcool AS500 (2x140mm) - 5.1k
Heard some brackets are missing for the Arctic one, do find more about it.

OP
D

dexterz

Journeyman
Yes

Cooler alternative - Deepcool AS500 (2x140mm) - 5.1k
Heard some brackets are missing for the Arctic one, do find more about it.
Will the TRUE120 be able to handle cooling a ryzen 5600x? Thermalright support said they'll check and ship out a mounting bracket if possible. I'm planning to visit ritchie street this week to get the parts (R5 5600X + MSI B550 Gaming Plus+2x8GB DDR4 ).

any new cpu release in next couple of months?

Last edited:
Will the TRUE120 be able to handle cooling a ryzen 5600x? Thermalright support said they'll check and ship out a mounting bracket if possible. I'm planning to visit ritchie street this week to get the parts (R5 5600X + MSI B550 Gaming Plus+2x8GB DDR4 ).

any new cpu release in next couple of months?
Why experiment? Get Deepcool Gammax Pro (has 2 fans) for something cheaper. For something even cheaper, just use the stock cooler that comes with it.

Top Bottom