Upgrading Old Desktop

kapil21682

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Internet, Browsing, MSO 365, AutoCAD, Photoshop and similar Photo/Video Softwares only for learning purpose.

2. What is your overall budget?
Ans: 20-22K to be precise as otherwise the desktop is lying unused at home with no takers for 15K in its current state despite being fully functional.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Mostly No, maybe sparingly when running high Rendering/ Processing Stuff.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Windows 11 Home/ Professional (Will buy off-shelf outside this budget)

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB should be good enough. Plan to use current HDD: WD 5400RPM SATA (1TB+250GB) for more storage.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: Already have an AOC 22" Monitor with 2 HDMI Ports.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyb-Mouse Combo, Deepcool Tesseract Full Tower Case, GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Currently used on Intel CPU), Seasonic SMPS.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans. Only have time on weekends, once frozen, I can set this up in a month's time.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: DIY, I have been doing is sparingly for 20+ Years now.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Gurgaon/ Delhi (Nehru Place) is required.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Current Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 v3, Current MoBo: Gigabyte H97M-D3H, Current RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz (I would look at reselling these items).

Need suggestions for cheapest, value for money up-gradations on my PC which I built myself courtesy this forum around 9 years ago! Shall be happy to know your views on this for best purchase and from where...

Last edited:
What's the specs of your laptop?

These parts should be good for a basic rig to last for many years:
pcpricetracker.in/b/s/44ff427d-738f-4f91-bf9a-6a7770c84365

OP
K

kapil21682

Specs of my Desktop:
CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 v3
MoBo: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
HDD: WD 5400RPM SATA (1TB+250GB)

If there is a way to run juice out of this machine with much lesser cost? Currently this is damn slow, obviously being more than 8-9 years old. I run Windows 11 on this.

One more question, will I be able to run my Graphic Card on the new MoBo?

OP
K

kapil21682

Thanks SG, I think I will go for a mini upgrade,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MoBo: Asrock B450-HDV / MSI B450M-A PRO MAX/ Asus Prime B450M-A II
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (16GBx1) DDR4 3200MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB (If this still works in new MoBo, will be a bonus)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Can this be reused on the AMD Processor or they are different?)
HDD: WD Blue SN570 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD

I think MoBo is the only thing I am slightly confused about... but need to run this for next 5-6 years within same Cabinet/ Monitor/ KeyB-Mouse etc. so min. upgrade will do the trick. Final words??

That R9 270X will work on the new rig. Honestly all of them are budget barebones mobo, nothing great. Check for number of RAM slots, M.2 slots, SATA ports, USB ports while comparing them.

OP
K

kapil21682

Gee.... Thx Omega44... will finalize soon... yeah, these days its about being on budget and seeing how much it can last!

Where are you buying the parts from?

If locally, no issues. IF online, old stock of B450 mobo might not support R5 5600G out of the box & will need a support CPU (like Ryzen 3000) to update its BIOS to support newer Ryzen 5000.

Can consider a cheap B550 mobo like Gigabyte B550M DS3H for 8.8k to avoid this issue. Also, I think MSI's Max series has Ryzen 5000 support, so just confirm once with the seller.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks SG, I think I will go for a mini upgrade,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MoBo: Asrock B450-HDV / MSI B450M-A PRO MAX/ Asus Prime B450M-A II
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (16GBx1) DDR4 3200MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270x 2GB (If this still works in new MoBo, will be a bonus)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Can this be reused on the AMD Processor or they are different?)
HDD: WD Blue SN570 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD

I think MoBo is the only thing I am slightly confused about... but need to run this for next 5-6 years within same Cabinet/ Monitor/ KeyB-Mouse etc. so min. upgrade will do the trick. Final words??

Hyper 212 Evo Old model won't support 5600G.

Get DEEPCOOL AG400.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Friends how about buying a new mini PC from Minisforum or Beelink?
With AMD Ryzen 7000 series CPU and 16GB of RAM. 500GB ~ 1TB NVME M.2 2280 SSD.

What are your suggestions,If I want to upgrade?

Friends how about buying a new mini PC from Minisforum or Beelink?
With AMD Ryzen 7000 series CPU and 16GB of RAM. 500GB ~ 1TB NVME M.2 2280 SSD.

What are your suggestions,If I want to upgrade?
Cost? Seller?

Mini PCs are good for normal usage, usually expensive or not available here.

Top Bottom