Upgrading old computer ( 7 yr. old) - Budget 35k (+/- 5 k)

ybav223

Right off the assembly line
Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade my very old PC which was built using suggestions from this forum ( :-D Thanks). Its been a while and I am hoping to upgrade it... Unfortunately, I have not kept myself updated with current trends and technologies in the market. Hence please consider me as a "Rookie".

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans:
Standard usage - Internet, Music, Occasional movies through OTT
Office related - Word, Powerpoint and Excel
CAD Modelling - Solid Edge 2020
Scientific - GNU Octave scripts (Decent mathematical calculations involving high order matrix manipulation), OpenFOAM ( Fluid dynamics simulation)
Gaming-
I am looking to leverage my XBox Game pass here. So games can really span across different types. Primarily following would be accessed -

First Person Shooter (Okay with Medium settings, prefer smooth gameplay over visual candy) - Call of duty
Simulation- Cities Skyline, Flight Sim 2020 (This is the main reason I am upgrading this PC. I am okay with Medium settings. Prefer smoother FPS than visual fidelity)
Open word - GTA V (Offline/ Online) - Okay with Medium settings

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: Rs. 35,000 (Can extend max of 5k if really required)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 ( Will need a new key, can you please suggest any places where I can obtain a good discount on Home edition) or Can I use Windows 10 without plugging the license key in un-activated mode to stay within budget ?

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 Tb preferred on non-SSD (already have this and would like to carry forward to new config.). Please suggest a good Value for money SSD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No, Have a BENQ 22 inc Full HD 1920x1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
I have a old NZXT cabinet which I would like to carry forward if possible. (dont remember the exact model number)
Keyboard/Mouse
Monitor
HDD
I have an Antec PSU 450 W which I would like to carry forward if possible

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ~ 1 Month
9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I haven't built before myself but I would want to this time around.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bengaluru. Will prefer local purchase but inclined towards online shopping due to pandemic issues. Which is the best place to procure parts in Bengaluru if buying on street ? Do they take old parts for exchange?

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

1- I would prefer balancing number of CPU's vs CPU Speed for my scientific computation purposes. For ex. higher n cpu's with low clock speed and vice versa is not beneficial.

2- My current configuration is (derived from cmd commands, DXDiag and hazy memory) -

CPU - AMD FX 6300 3.5 GHz (6 core)
Mobo - Gigabyte 970A-DS3
RAM - 4 Gb
Graphics - Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7700 ( Memory reported - 2778 MB)
Current display resolution - Full HD 1080p
HDD - non-ssd 1 Tb (Seagate)
PSU - Antec 450 W

Looking for a configuration with which I carry on for 3-5 years atleast as Flight Sim does tend to have a long lifespan.

Thanks for the help in advance ...

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If Antec 450w is also 7yrs old, it's better to get a new one.
And don't think you have good enough budget. With this budget all you can get is probably iGPU set up.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Even to get 1080p30 on medium settings in Flight Simulator 2020, you'd need a GTX 1650 and CPU which doesn't bottlenecks it.

Given you want longevity, you need to increase your budget. :|

OP
Y

ybav223

Right off the assembly line
Thanks both ... How about 40k ? I may push my purchase timeline to 2 months in that case ...

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks both ... How about 40k ? I may push my purchase timeline to 2 months in that case ...
That should be more than enough for GPU alone. I don't think anybody should torture themselves by playing at <60 fps.
Getting a R5 3600 + B550 mobo + 16GB DDR4 3200 Mhz ram + at least 250 GB ssd + a decent >500W PSU would need another ~50k :(

nac

Aspiring Novelist
They are suggesting min/recommended system requirements RX570/RX590 for flight sim. There goes about half your budget for GPU alone.

For other purpose, config with rough pricing.
Guess CAD and the other ones are not GPU intensive.
Ryzen 3100 / 3500X / 3600 - 9000 / 14000 / 19000 (Pick which one you can afford)
Asrock B450 Pro4 - 8500
3200mhz 2x8GB DDR4 - 6500
Corsair CV450/CX450 - 3500 / 4000
Crucial MX500 250GB - 4000
Since you're planning not to game in this PC, you can use your existing GPU or you can get a basic one like GT 1030 for about 6500/-

There is always a better PC if you can spend more. Try and get the best possible rig your budget allows.

Top Bottom