Upgrading Mobo and Processor

bishbashboss

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

My motherboard is old and it has stopped working, instead of repairing it, I am planning to upgrade both, my processor and motherboard. The following is my current configuration.

ProcessorIntel Core i5 3570K - 3.4 GHz LGA 1155
MotherboardASUS H61M
RAMG.Skill Ripjaw 8GB *2
GPUNVIDIA GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 (Zotac)
Power SupplyCorsair VS450
CabinetCorsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower
HDDSeagate barracuda 1tb HDD
SSDIntel speed Demon 730 series - 240gb

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Casual gaming, Civ6, Aoe, Destiny 2, Skyrim, Dota, COD

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40k +/- 5k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Using the current SSD and HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: RAM, GPU, Power supply, Cabinet, HDD, SSD

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: June 2020

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will call and assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Whatever is cheaper, will get a quotation from local dealers.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Inbuilt Wifi and Bluetooth would be nice, it's not a must-have but nice to have.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Times have changed & AMD has left intel behind after the release of ryzen processors so better go with amd ryzen based system.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy Online AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3rd Gen Desktop Processor 100-100000031BOX - in India 16500

Buy Online Asrock B450 Pro4 AMD AM4 Socket Motherboard lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com 7200

Buy Online G.SKILL Sniper X Series 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 Memory F4-3600C19D-16GSXWB - in India 7600

CORSAIR CX SERIES CX550 — 550 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED ATX PSU 4700

Buy Asus RX 580 Dual OC 4GB at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in 13500

@SaiyanGoku @omega44-xt may know better as I am not a gamer so not sure about whether you need a better graphics card/the above suggested card.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will suggest sticking with nVidia for the GPU unless you want to use Linux seamlessly.

For CPU, Ryzen 5 3600 should be the choice.

OP
B

bishbashboss

Buy Online AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3rd Gen Desktop Processor 100-100000031BOX - in India 16500

Buy Online Asrock B450 Pro4 AMD AM4 Socket Motherboard lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com 7200

Buy Online G.SKILL Sniper X Series 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 Memory F4-3600C19D-16GSXWB - in India 7600

CORSAIR CX SERIES CX550 — 550 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED ATX PSU 4700

Buy Asus RX 580 Dual OC 4GB at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in 13500

@SaiyanGoku @omega44-xt may know better as I am not a gamer so not sure about whether you need a better graphics card/the above suggested card.
Do I have to buy the RAM and PSU?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
RAM? Definitely. Current generation processors use DDR4 RAM, not DDR3.

PSU? You can give it a pass if you are really short of budget. Otherwise, VS450 didn't receive stellar reviews when it was released.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ram is must because your system use ddr3 ram while current standard is ddr4 ram. As for psu you may delay but I won't suggest to use VS450 to run a RX580 card. VS450 might have been ok if the card is something like nvidia 1050Ti/1650 but RX580 is a power hungry card.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Casual gaming, Civ6, Aoe, Destiny 2, Skyrim, Dota, COD
At this point, there are 19 different COD games for PC within a span of 16 years. Please be specific about which CoD game you'd be playing the most. CIV 6 is a CPU heavy game (I haven't played it yet but coming from CIV 5, it needs a good CPU depending on the map and turn times, ). Try to find used RX580/570 or GTX 1060 6GB for like 6-7k and save money.

Current gen doesn't supports DDR3. How old is your PSU?

OP, do mention resolution & refresh rate of your current monitor.

I agree with the build whitestar suggested, just stating it again in a nice format :p

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 16.5k

Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 7.2k*

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 7.6k

GPU - Asus RX580 4GB - 13k**

SSD - Yours

HDD - Yours

PSU - Corsair CX550 - 4.5k (VS series ain't good for a mid-range gaming PC)

Cabinet - Yours

Monitor - Which one do you have?

Total - 48.8k

*ASUS TUF B450M Pro Gaming at 8k is another great option, both need the latest BIOS to run 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs though.

If you really want to cut cost, downgrading CPU to R3 3300X (11.5k) will save you money, but since you play Civ6, as stated earlier, it is a pretty CPU demanding title. RX580 is still a good GPU.

OP
B

bishbashboss

At this point, there are 19 different COD games for PC within a span of 16 years. Please be specific about which CoD game you'd be playing the most. CIV 6 is a CPU heavy game (I haven't played it yet but coming from CIV 5, it needs a good CPU depending on the map and turn times, ). Try to find used RX580/570 or GTX 1060 6GB for like 6-7k and save money.

Current gen doesn't supports DDR3. How old is your PSU?
Ok. Thanks. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is what I play, it works fine on GTX660.

PSU is 26 October 2016 old.

Last edited:
OP
B

bishbashboss

OP, do mention resolution & refresh rate of your current monitor.

I agree with the build whitestar suggested, just stating it again in a nice format :p

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 16.5k

Mobo - Asrock B450 Pro4 ATX - 7.2k*

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 7.6k

GPU - Asus RX580 4GB - 13k**

SSD - Yours

HDD - Yours

PSU - Corsair CX550 - 4.5k (VS series ain't good for a mid-range gaming PC)

Cabinet - Yours

Monitor - Which one do you have?

Total - 48.8k

*ASUS TUF B450M Pro Gaming at 8k is another great option, both need the latest BIOS to run 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs though.

If you really want to cut cost, downgrading CPU to R3 3300X (11.5k) will save you money, but since you play Civ6, as stated earlier, it is a pretty CPU demanding title. RX580 is still a good GPU.

I got Dell S2240L 21.5 inch. Is Nvidia GTX660 not compatible with the suggested system? I'd like to keep it for a few months if it is compatible.

I got Dell S2240L 21.5 inch. Is Nvidia GTX660 not compatible with the suggested system? I'd like to keep it for a few months if it is compatible.
It is compatible. Remove the suggested GPU if you want to use current GPU, the uplift in gaming performance won't be huge though as GTX 660 is barely the min requirements of games these days. Maybe use it till early next year & save money for upcoming new GPUs from AMD & Nvidia. Save like 20k to get a good new GPU or good discount on older ones.

Top Bottom