Upgrade to Dad's Gingerbread(Android Smartphone)

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
My Dad is a Land developer.
His current phone is HTC Chacha which is on it's last few days!

His primary use will be compassing,
Video recording, a bit of photography,Excessive use of Googlr Earth, etc.

1. Budget?

2. Display type and size?
<5" and a good balanced screen!

3. Form Factor?
Bar, Physical Keyboard types.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Like: Sony, Motorola, Google.
Dislike: LG, Samsung.

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). He is familiar with touch now.
QWERTY will also do.

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Both with decent resolutions.
Rear facing with good video capturing ability.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc)
Android: He his through with the OS.
He will be just needing Smart Tools and Google Earth.

Windows Lumia: Good Nokia Services.

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
LTE+Wifi

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)
Google earth, Smart Tools, Social Networking, Skype.

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)
Photograghy, Mails, Internet,GPS.

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Moto X, Lumia 925

12. Any other info that you want to share
A small form factor of 4.7". Will be great.
Great Battery backup.
Good sound output.
He is a bit careless with phone as he operates while travelling a lot.
Good camera and a good GPS

PS: Thanks to <font color="SeaGreen"><b>Sam</b></font> for providing the questionnaire<br/>

Your suggestions and recommedations are highly welcome!

Samsung galaxy S4?? Great android phone, has got kitkat upgrade, good camera(not as good as 925 though), due to thin bezels its almost same size as any 4.7" device, just a bit longer(as compared to my Nexus 4), good battery life

Xperia ZR is also a great device due to its battery life & size(although screen is nowhere when compared to S4 & S4 has better camera)

Xperia Z1C is a great device @ 31k(if it doesn't feel too small), good battery life, good camera, waterproof......

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Get a Lumia 925 or a nexus 5 , Samsung has terrible build and after sales
I'd say xperia but its not worth the price(overpriced) otherwise its ok-ok
The nexus is the only android device series worth the money and is smoother than any other droid I've seen
If his priority is battery life,the Lumia series have slightly better battery life than a nexus 5(nexus 5 s battery life beats any other droid)
I've tested all the phones I just spoke abt :D(galaxy s3 and s5,note 2,nexus 5,lumias -720,820,925)

$hadow

Geek in making
If size is this important than you can check out s3. Or else I suggest you to get a Windows phone. Your Dad will love it. :-D

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
The nexus is the only android device series worth the money and is smoother than any other droid I've seen
If his priority is battery life,the Lumia series have slightly better battery life than a nexus 5(nexus 5 s battery life beats any other droid)
I've tested all the phones I just spoke abt :D(galaxy s3 and s5,note 2,nexus 5,lumias -720,820,925)

Thanks for suggestion!
I am too leaning towards N5.He has learnt android better in 2 years and now Lumia may take him more time!
Moreover Google Earth and Smart Tools like primarily apps are unavailable on L925(Correct me if I am wrong as I am not that through with Windows App Store).

Moreover he will like L925 as he would be able to download his fav songs (Ovi music store)and it's camera is better!

As he operates while travelling(driving mainly) I am considering N5 due to Google Now as it is far superior than Cortana & Siri for Indian accents!

Can you comment on sound output of both of these phones?

He will be using it for next 3 years.

If size is this important than you can check out s3. Or else I suggest you to get a Windows phone. Your Dad will love it. :-D

Thanks for suggestion but he hates over saturated displays! So S3 is out of question!

I will take him to nearest retail to let him try L925.Lets see if he likes.

Are you serious? Samsung has bad after sales? Nexus 5's battery life beats other droids?

OP don't listen to him

Correct facts : Samsung has good after sales. People just don't like its design. Build quality is not so high due to plastic(most people feel that way)

Nexus phones are more performance oriented than multimedia oriented. It has poor battery life and camera when compared to other droids at same price range ( S4, Z, Z1C to name a few)

Sony phones are not overpriced. Most of its phones are sensibly priced when compared to other manufacturers ( ZR is great @ 25k, Z1C is great @ 32k, M @ 10k, Z1 @ 35k)

According to GSMarena, endurance rating of Lumia 920 is 44h(both have same battery n specs), nexus 5 - 40h,whereas S4 & Z1C have 60h+

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Are you serious? Samsung has bad after sales? Nexus 5's battery life beats other droids?

OP don't listen to him

Correct facts : Samsung has good after sales. People just don't like its design. Build quality is not so high due to plastic(most people feel that way)

Nexus phones are more performance oriented than multimedia oriented. It has poor battery life and camera when compared to other droids at same price range ( S4, Z, Z1C to name a few)

Sony phones are not overpriced. Most of its phones are sensibly priced when compared to other manufacturers ( ZR is great @ 25k, Z1C is great @ 32k, M @ 10k, Z1 @ 35k)

According to GSMarena, endurance rating of Lumia 920 is 44h(both have same battery n specs), nexus 5 - 40h,whereas S4 & Z1C have 60h+

fyi read my post ive tried the phones mentioned myself
s4 has bad battery life compared to the others
samsung has terrible after sales, after alot of samsung appliances and devices ive learned my lesson
samsung is one of the worst unless u compare it with indian brands or lenovo etc which are far far worse
sony makes great phones but in mid range, id get a lumia or a nexus 4 over a xperia in the same category as they feel more premium and are sleeker than xperia
its my opinion and experience u cannot change that as ive spoke only abt what ive owned or own :)
- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for suggestion!
I am too leaning towards N5.He has learnt android better in 2 years and now Lumia may take him more time!
Moreover Google Earth and Smart Tools like primarily apps are unavailable on L925(Correct me if I am wrong as I am not that through with Windows App Store).

Moreover he will like L925 as he would be able to download his fav songs �� (Ovi music store)and it's camera is better!

As he operates while travelling(driving mainly) I am considering N5 due to Google Now as it is far superior than Cortana & Siri for Indian accents!

Can you comment on sound output of both of these phones?

He will be using it for next 3 years.

Thanks for suggestion but he hates over saturated displays! So S3 is out of question!

I will take him to nearest retail to let him try L925.Lets see if he likes.

the others may boo my comments but they may not own the phones i just spoke about
the nexus 5 and lumias are very safe buys, the others people seem to be stuck in one brand or something
i like variety so i happen to own many phones and other gadgets so i speak only what ive experienced
samsung has mistreated me before and id be safer off without them
i know someone in samsung so its easy for me now to get service otherwise earlier it was wayy worse trust me on that
sound quality is excellent on nexus 5,sometimes clearer than my lumias(multimedia wise)
for calls,the lumias speaker(not loudspeaker) is louder
hope i helped :)
ps , others ignore my comments if u dont agree but i only post based on my experiences so u cannot alter that if u havent owned one and are generalising or something :)

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
But considering the usage I on't know why you people are suggesting developer phone like n5. Better get Lumia any one you feel like good to use and can be put in pocket easily.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
But considering the usage I on't know why you people are suggesting developer phone like n5. Better get Lumia any one you feel like good to use and can be put in pocket easily.

its got stock android and is easy to use etc, the only andoid phone worth buying imho
lumia is also good but op mentioned google earth and smart tools(dunno what that is) which arent on wp8 otherwise since he mentioned photography, the lumia is a better option if by google earth u meant google maps, wp8 has google maps(ported unnofficially) which works perfectly

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Go for Nexus 5 if you want a super fragile device. Otherwise Moto X is a good option. And by hTC I meant One M7 obviously.

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
its got stock android and is easy to use etc, the only andoid phone worth buying imho
lumia is also good but op mentioned google earth and smart tools(dunno what that is) which arent on wp8 otherwise since he mentioned photography, the lumia is a better option if by google earth u meant google maps, wp8 has google maps(ported unnofficially) which works perfectly

Google Earth-
*www.google.com/earth/

If he visits a land.By geo positioning google earth gives the Coordinates,accuracy,terrains,wells,water bodies,high tension lines(electricity lines),etc
Everything in coordinates !

It's a GIS Software!

Smart Tools-
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.aboy.tools

Description
Smart Tools® is a complete package of 5 app sets. It includes 5 Pro sets for a total of 15 tools. In a word, All-in-One.
Set 1: Length, Angle, Slope, Level, Thread - Smart Ruler Pro
Set 2: Distance, Height, Width, Area - Smart Measure Pro
Set 3: Compass, Metal detector, GPS - Smart Compass Pro
Set 4: Sound level meter, Vibrometer - Sound Meter Pro
Set 5: Flashlight, Magnifier, Mirror - Smart Light Pro

Come on guys I want him to be a modern developer right!He doesn't need to carry surveying equipment !

$hadow

Geek in making
Well it depends if you give N5 who haven't used android than that person can go insane in starting. But that is not a case in this situation.
I guess Nokia camera technology is by far the best of all these in this price range. But yes as you said. Google maps are already ported unofficially will serve on well.

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Well it depends if you give N5 who haven't used android than that person can go insane in starting. But that is not a case in this situation.
I guess Nokia camera technology is by far the best of all these in this price range. But yes as you said. Google maps are already ported unofficially will serve on well.
Guys I have explained you.
There is hell lot of difference between Google Earth & Google maps.

To sum it up Google Earth is a GIS(Geographical Information Software) & Google Maps is a GPS(Global positioning system) derivative.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Guys I have explained you.
There is hell lot of difference between Google Earth & Google maps.

To sum it up Google Earth is a GIS(Geographical Information Software) & Google Maps is a GPS(Global positioning system) derivative.

ohh okk
if u want an awesome camera-lumia any day trust me
if u want google earth-nexus 5
or for the price of either- get a lumia 720 or something + a nexus 7(like me) best of both worlds and both work fine

.DMG

Broken In
Buy the Moto X. It fits perfectly for your Dad's needs. If you can spurlge more, get the Z ultra :D

Top Bottom