Upgrade options within 20-25k

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any ideas as to what might be causing the power cycling issue occasionally during boot?
Upgrade your BIOS and check again.

Typical reason of power cycling during boot is RAM related configuration issues.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I have never attempted a bios update before, is it a good idea to try it? Can it possibly brick the mobo or void warranty?

Should it be updated from the q flash utility that's built into the bios itself?

Should i disable xmp and check if the problem persists?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never attempted a bios update before, is it a good idea to try it? Can it possibly brick the mobo or void warranty?

Should it be updated from the q flash utility that's built into the bios itself?

Should i disable xmp and check if the problem persists?
It will not void the warranty.

The procedure these days is to copy the extracted BIOS ROM (download only for your model) to a FAT32 formatted pen drive. Connect pen drive to your computer. And, upgrade from the BIOS itself using the Q Flash utility.

Yes, disable XMP and check. But ideally, there should not be any problem even with XMP.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
before attempting to update the bios or make any other changes,i just decided to load optimized defaults in the bios and run the system for a while.

i will observe it for a few days and if the power cycling occurs again,i may have to take other steps to rectify it(really worried about updating bios as its quite a risky process).

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
It will not void the warranty.

The procedure these days is to copy the extracted BIOS ROM (download only for your model) to a FAT32 formatted pen drive. Connect pen drive to your computer. And, upgrade from the BIOS itself using the Q Flash utility.

Yes, disable XMP and check. But ideally, there should not be any problem even with XMP.

i checked gigabyte's website and found 2 available bios versions,namely F3 and F4.The version that my motherboard has is F2-can i update to F4 directly or do i need to install bios F3 first,then update it to F4?Gigabyte's website says F3 is the first official release,whereas my mobo has F2 which appears to be even older,and that is strange indeed.

I downloaded the zip file containing bios F4 and extracted its contents and found that there is a file called b460md3h.F4 and 3 other files and another folder named "BOOT"(see screenshot).In order to update bios,do i need to copy all of these files to a fat 32 pen drive or only the file called B460md3h.F4?

if by any chance bios update fails,will it leave the mobo permanently bricked?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 99
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
an update albeit a late one:I updated the bios to F4 recently but it hasn't solved my problem.

The pc still continues to power cycle during cold boot occasionally.I disabled XMP in the bios ,but to no avail-even turning off fast startup in windows didn't work out.

This is a really annoying problem and i cant seem to figure out whats causing it-i wrote to gigabyte about this issue and they suggested trying with different ram sticks to check whether that solves it or not.

I currently have no extra ddr4 memory lying around-so cant check that right now.I even ran memtest on these modules but that didn't detect any errors.

Strangely however,once the pc boots into windows,it continues to work normally and i haven't run into any issues like crashes/freezes etc at all.

What could be causing this power cycling issue?Could the mobo be faulty?

@ico @whitestar_999 and others,please advise.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Can a weak cmos battery cause power cycling at start up? It happens especially when the pc has been off for over 12 hrs.

However the typical signs of a weak battery like wrong date/time etc after starting up are not seen. Shall I try to replace the mobo's battery with a new one?

Although i find it strange that a battery on a new motherboard would deplete so quickly.

Please suggest what i should do-this is becoming really frustrating for me!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I missed your earlier message.

You have already eliminated out problem with memory by running memtest. CMOS battery is not the problem.

Power cycling at start-up is definitely the motherboard trying to adjust RAM's speed. See if you can borrow a set of RAM sticks from a friend, or just try one stick at a time.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
The weird thing about the pc is during a cold boot,it doesn't start instantly when i press the power button on the cabinet-this happens especially when the system has been off for some time and the ac mains supply to the system has been switched off.Previously it happened once in a while,but nowadays it happens almost everytime a cold boot is done.

usually it starts when i press the power button the second time,and its only then that the power cycling occurs-it cycles just once and then proceeds to boot into windows.Sometimes it turns on at the second attempt and then boots into windows without power cycling at all.

The power cycling issue only occurs when the pc has been off for long periods and the system doesn't start after pressing the power button at the 1st attempt,but on the second one.

If its a memory compatibility issue,would it prevent my computer from turning on at the first try during a cold boot?Is it possible the power button on the cabinet itself is bad or malfunctioning?the cabinet is a spec 01 from corsair.

a friend of mine has 2400 mhz corsair ddr4 memory that he may be willing to give to me-should i check once again using these ram sticks?

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If its a memory compatibility issue,would it prevent my computer from turning on at the first try during a cold boot?Is it possible the power button on the cabinet itself is bad or malfunctioning?the cabinet is a spec 01 from corsair.

a friend of mine has 2400 mhz corsair ddr4 memory that he may be willing to give to me-should i check once again using these ram sticks?
Good point about the power button. You can experiment by shorting motherboard's power pins to turn on the system.

Also, try with your friend's RAAM sticks.

Top Bottom