Upgrade of old I5 to Ryzen 3600

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just format & fresh install windows & then use your ms account for login but not without first making a local admin account(I am assuming you already did this for current system).

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I was having a ms account. After changing motherboard and cpu, I am getting an activation error "Windows not activated".
Microsoft has loosely tied windows 10 activation to the motherboard. Also, please use Snipping Tool instead of taking a pic using your phone :|.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Just format & fresh install windows & then use your ms account for login but not without first making a local admin account(I am assuming you already did this for current system).
Means I don't have to make a local account. Directly make a admin account on new installations.?

moltenskull

Journeyman
I faced this problem recently. I was also getting activation error for Windows 10 ,when I changed my motherboard+CPU+RAM+GPU. I had originally bought Windows 8.Try using the activation key that came with your copy of Windows.In my case , the Windows 8 key worked for my digitally licensed copy of Windows 10 on my new configuration. I did not reinstall Windows,but you can do it .

Edit: I also had an MS account but that was showing not linked to any devices. So I activated it on my local account only.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I faced this problem recently. I was also getting activation error for Windows 10 ,when I changed my motherboard+CPU+RAM+GPU. I had originally bought Windows 8.Try using the activation key that came with your copy of Windows.In my case , the Windows 8 key worked for my digitally licensed copy of Windows 10 on my new configuration. I did not reinstall Windows,but you can do it .

Edit: I also had a MS account but that was showing not linked to any devices. So I activated it on my local account only.
One key is binded to one motherboard. When you try to install the same key on another motherboard it says activation error unless you have formatted the other computer and used another key in it.

Or
You should call the customer care and ask their help.
They will help you in activating via the phone method.

I used it in case of both MS office and OS as well.

Since I started using legit keys from Windows 8.1 days I too am facing same problem.

PS: Microsoft will not allow one key for more than 1 PC unless they are Volume license keys.

See here:Activation Center Phone Numbers | Microsoft Volume Licensing

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

moltenskull

Journeyman
I don't know for sure but here's the scenario:
I bought a Windows 8 key and activated it on my Asrock Motherboard .Then I upgraded to an MSI motherboard and here's the grey part : I don't remember but I guess I used phone activation for it. Then Windows 10 arrived and I upgraded to it for a digital license.
Here's the interesting part:
Apart from my CPU Cooler+HDDs+ PSU+Case, I changed all components due to a Motherboard failure (MSI Motherboard). Now I am using a Gigabyte Motherboard and the Windows 8 key that I purchased originally activated my copy of Windows 10 on the Gigabyte Motherboard without any issues. Windows 10 is activated on my local account on my new configuration.

If the OP is facing issues with Windows 10 activation and no other method is working, there's no harm in trying to activate with the old key , is there? At max, it will be rejected.Then the OP can purchase a fresh copy of Windows 10,if need arises.

Edit: I purchased system builder OEM Windows 8, if that is what you mean by Volume licensing keys.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I don't know for sure but here's the scenario:
I bought a Windows 8 key and activated it on my Asrock Motherboard .Then I upgraded to an MSI motherboard and here's the grey part : I don't remember but I guess I used phone activation for it. Then Windows 10 arrived and I upgraded to it for a digital license.
Here's the interesting part:
Apart from my CPU Cooler+HDDs+ PSU+Case, I changed all components due to a Motherboard failure (MSI Motherboard). Now I am using a Gigabyte Motherboard and the Windows 8 key that I purchased originally activated my copy of Windows 10 on the Gigabyte Motherboard without any issues. Windows 10 is activated on my local account on my new configuration.

If the OP is facing issues with Windows 10 activation and no other method is working, there's no harm in trying to activate with the old key , is there? At max, it will be rejected.Then the OP can purchase a fresh copy of Windows 10,if need arises.

Edit: I purchased system builder OEM Windows 8, if that is what you mean by Volume licensing keys.
I too purchased MSI Laptop upon which I used my old key because the key with which it comes is for Windows 10 Chinese language only since I got it from Singapore.
Later I used the upgraded key from 8.1 to 10 and activated my MSI Laptop.

Nowadays all keys are activated as digitally.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Thanks for the help. I will first try whitestar method.

Just found an advertisement at YouTube. Is this site genuine? Windows app store showing price around 14k and here..

Screenshot_20191224_055419_com.android.chrome.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are volume license keys(for companies) not meant to sold to public,they will work but legally you are not supposed to use them.In any case the money you pay for such keys will not be going to Microsoft anyway so it isn't that much different from using "ahem" version.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I too purchased MSI Laptop upon which I used my old key because the key with which it comes is for Windows 10 Chinese language only since I got it from Singapore.
I don't think Windows keys are tied to language packs. IIRC, Linus clean installed windows 10 en-us on either Huawei Matebook or Mi Notebook using the same key it came with zh-cn version.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Windows keys are tied to language packs. IIRC, Linus clean installed windows 10 en-us on either Huawei Matebook or Mi Notebook using the same key it came with zh-cn version.
It may be possible in case of chinese specific oem versions.The versions used by linus were typical retail versions.

moltenskull

Journeyman
Those are volume license keys(for companies) not meant to sold to public,they will work but legally you are not supposed to use them.In any case the money you pay for such keys will not be going to Microsoft anyway so it isn't that much different from using "ahem" version.

Thanks a lot for this information. The thing is , I purchased this version of Windows (Windows 8) from a Microsoft Authorised Reseller (Which was listed on Microsoft Website). What amazes me is that they obviously knew and made no reference to it. :/

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a lot for this information. The thing is , I purchased this version of Windows (Windows 8) from a Microsoft Authorised Reseller (Which was listed on Microsoft Website). What amazes me is that they obviously knew and made no reference to it. :/
That's surprising. In any case they can always make the excuse of selling under wrong impression(if somebody claim to be working in some company then they are not going to ask for id proof anyway).

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Not keys "Windows 10 Chinese Language" comes as default with MSI Laptops purchased in Singapore.
We need to install English Language Windows 10 Pro which does not accept the original key. So need to buy another key.
This is how I have done in spite of repeated attempts to learn Chinese Windows 10 Installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom