Upgrade build - Ryzen or Cofeelake @ 50k

I am looking to upgrade my years old i7-2600k system.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Video/image editing like illustrator, after effects. Streaming. CPU heavy games like arma 3, dcs.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Budget is 50,000. Can extend to 60k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not unless required (i.e. not satisfied with stock speeds)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 home

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Gonna reuse my 256GB ssd and 2tb WD blue

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Have 24" DELL IPS monitor, but a good 27" monitor recommendation will be appreciated. can be excluded from overall budget for now.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Have a GTX 970, which I will reuse. GFX prices too high now. HDD and SSD. PSU (although mine is 4+ years old now i think and maybe i should get new one).

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: this month (dec 2017)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I will build it.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bengaluru

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am torn between ryzen vs coffeelake. was looking at r7-1700, but i7-8700 is at almost the same range. Please focus on cpu, mb, ram suggestion first. I can get rest of the components later.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Ans: I am torn between ryzen vs coffeelake. was looking at r7-1700, but i7-8700 is at almost the same range..

Ryzen 2nd gen( pinnacle ridge 12nm ) is reportedly launching by march , waiting for that could be better if you can..

plus cheaper B360 motherboards will be available as well if you aren't looking to overclock

also hold onto your GPU , buy new when gtx 2xxx volta series releases

PSU (although mine is 4+ years old now i think and maybe i should get new one).

what is your current PSU ?

Last edited:
Currently, Coffee Lake seems a better choice but waiting till Q1 2018 might be wise as you can see what new AMD CPUs bring.

For your reference, your GTX 970 is better than GTX 1050Ti even though by not a big margin. Better to use it for a year or more & wait for next-gen GPU.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -61K

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X-39000,
Asus Prime B350 Plus -8000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(2x8GB) 3000Mhz -14000.
TOTAL -61,000.

vivek g delhi

Broken In
Having similar quandry, i ended up with CoffeLake. The performance of 8700k blows all current CPUs away and since I was not planning on OCing, i went with 8700 at rs 25000. Add in a Mobo for 15k. Mines a Asus Strix Z370-G mATX. Add another 16k for 16 GIgs of RAM. Cosrair Vengeance LPX is good. Total 54k.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

vivek g delhi

Broken In
And yes, you already have a working system with frankly a great processor. Are you OCibg it yet? If no, then try to wring a few extra months from it. March is going to be exciting

vivek g delhi

Broken In
The AMD will launch with a more mature 12nm process and higher clock speeds that may bring better performance at lower price points. In fact Ryzen 7 2000 series is expected end Feb. New 400 series AmD chipset are also expected.
On Intel side, Cannon Lake which is the 9th Gen processor on 10nm process (probably) is expected June this year with 8-Core CPUs on i7 and 6 core hyperthreaded CPUs on i5.

OP
U

Ultra_Bloodshed

Broken In
I actually have given my i7 n MB to a friend, as I was sure I was going to upgrade :D

Can't really wait till february to see if the wait was worth it since I will need to start using my system from january first week.

I actually have given my i7 n MB to a friend, as I was sure I was going to upgrade :D

Can't really wait till february to see if the wait was worth it since I will need to start using my system from january first week.
Get Intel then, i7 8700 is a great CPU. Not everyone overclocks their CPU, so 8700K might not be required.
Did you ever overclock your 2600K?

Top Bottom