Unusual XP problem! Help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
I have a P4 3.0 Ghz PC with an Intel original 865G motherboard, 80 GB HDD, 512 MBs of RAM and an Iomega DVD writer. I have only Windows XP Pro + SP2 installed on the C drive of the disk. Since about 2 weeks, i'm facing an unusual problem...
At times when i start my PC, no matter what shortcut or program i click on, only one warning gets displayed - "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access them."
I get this message even when i click on 'Help' or 'Run'... I checked and verified if i am logged on as the Administrator. But still it shows the same message. All i can access is Explorer. I can just browse through my drives and documents...
The only solution out is scheduling a Scandisk check of C drive on the next system startup. The PC boots as ok the next time. But after a couple of restarts, the same problem arises again!
It is getting really frustrating... Please help!

G

gxsaurav

it could bea avurus or that something screqed with the shell, better run an antivirus scan or reinstall windows

May be u should try by another login name,if u are not logged as administrator,then try access it,if u are then instead of logged as administrator,logged by someother name like "ABC"
try and tell me if ur problem got solved!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
I'm logged in as Admin by default. And i'm the only one using the PC... There are no other user accounts.

And it is not a virus i guess. I have my antivirus updated and scanned the entire computer...
:roll:

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
This could well be a virus!! .... & one more thing tht i need to tell ya is : make one more account with admin priviledge & login through tht account try doing tht ..... if it happens there also ( i mean in the other new account) then for sure this is a virus ... & mr. ..sth this can well be a virus ...

enjoy :lol:

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I guess it is not a virus // the problem is solved after a chkdsk, at least temporarily. I don't think chkdsk fixes viruses, does it?

What ever you do, better a create a System Restore point after chkdsk completes, that way you could return to a safe point after what ever experiment you do.

OP
A

akash_bhavsar

Broken In
Nope! I tried creating a new admin account too! But after probably a cpl of boots, the same prob arises again!

And lywyre is right! I'm sure it's not a virus!

And my partitions are not NTFS... They're FAT32.

I don't wanna go through that tiresome process of installing WinXP and then SP2 and then all my softwares again! Any way out???

chetansota

Broken In
akash_bhavsar said:
I have a P4 3.0 Ghz PC with an Intel original 865G motherboard, 80 GB HDD, 512 MBs of RAM and an Iomega DVD writer. I have only Windows XP Pro + SP2 installed on the C drive of the disk. Since about 2 weeks, i'm facing an unusual problem...
At times when i start my PC, no matter what shortcut or program i click on, only one warning gets displayed - "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access them."
I get this message even when i click on 'Help' or 'Run'... I checked and verified if i am logged on as the Administrator. But still it shows the same message. All i can access is Explorer. I can just browse through my drives and documents...
The only solution out is scheduling a Scandisk check of C drive on the next system startup. The PC boots as ok the next time. But after a couple of restarts, the same problem arises again!
It is getting really frustrating... Please help!

HI Akash
Try and load your original Winows XP cd and when the menu shows install or repair , select repair and go ahead with the repair process. Should solve any problems related to installation. Also update the dirvers from Microsoft site.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hey Akash,
Check out the following:
1. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the Processes running on your computer: Sometimes, u may be able to detect processes that look suspicious - see if u can stop those processes thru services.msc or msconfig and running again...
2. If u are comfortable with working with administrative tools, run services.msc and look thru the list of services to check if any service has been disabled that should not be...
3. It is always a good idea to create 2 extra accounts - one with admin priveldges, and one with user priviledges. Use the user account for day to day use and for installing software, etc, use the admin account...
4. BTW, what Anti-virus software are u using? If u have a dsl connection, try running free anti-virus checks available thru a different vendor just to be safe. Also, do u have a good spyware detection software such as Ad-aware or Spybot Search & Destroy? Make sure the adware definitions of those are also updated.

When all else fails, try a repair install, but try to back up your data - either when programs are working, or by installing as slave to your friends comp and transferring to it....

Best of luck,
Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom