Unique / Interesting stuff discussion thread

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I got refund for one. Didn't bother with the others, as I expected them to come eventually , even after 2 months and/or they cost too low to bother

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Elderly needles: US $0.61 20% OFF| Hot Elderly Needle side Hole Blind Needless threading hand household Sewing Manual DIY Home Sewing Needle Tools Supply-in Sewing Needles from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Looking to buy / build / outsource a
Mini Air Conditioner that can cool a server rack cabinet.(well its in a closet now)
that can run 24x7 like a refrigerator(maybe add in a evaporator to the fridge and throw in some fan)
with less power, < 500W maximum.

I cant keep a 1/1.5 ton as running always or spending a bomb like 20k for a portable ac(flipkart/bluestar etc) which are of 1.5t and use >1000w power.

equipment to be cooled:
16 x 2 HikVision 5MP dvrs with 4tb hdd's ( unbearable to touch , that hot due to h265 pro + compression tech)
16 x 2 ERD 12v Power supplies
Cisco 16 port Gigabit Switch
CCL 16 port EPABX
a normal PC.

*i.imgur.com/8hz0uOy.jpg
*i.imgur.com/KTL7Snx.jpg
*i.imgur.com/BGvevy4.jpg
*i.imgur.com/UDoFZBj.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Difficult to buy as getting such item from aliexpress/abroad will surely attract the attention of customs officer resulting in a levying of extra customs duty large enough to make the product not worth its price anymore. I just thought of this casually but how about installing/keeping a small refrigerator with its door open towards the direction of cabinet/setup.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Thermoelectric plates based coolers are an option. There will be some ready made solutions, but don't know about availability /cost. Building is also an option: But it will a fairly involved process. youtube has several videos.

The thermoelectric plate - peltier module is itself very cheap. Rs. 150. Costs add with heatsinks and fans and power supply. Also theoretically these plates are less efficient than the compressor based cooling solutions, like our typical AC's. One small peltier plate can consume 12v * 5A = 60W. but if the the cooling requirements are not extensive, a couple or more plates may do the job. I don't have practical experience with these btw, so can't comment on cooling capacity of one plate. My source of info is youtube. If serious I suggest asking for help in more technical/electrical forums

Links :
Amazon.in: peltier
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Thermoelectric plates based coolers are an option. There will be some ready made solutions, but don't know about availability /cost. Building is also an option: But it will a fairly involved process. youtube has several videos.

The thermoelectric plate - peltier module is itself very cheap. Rs. 150. Costs add with heatsinks and fans and power supply. Also theoretically these plates are less efficient than the compressor based cooling solutions, like our typical AC's. One small peltier plate can consume 12v * 5A = 60W. but if the the cooling requirements are not extensive, a couple or more plates may do the job. I don't have practical experience with these btw, so can't comment on cooling capacity of one plate. My source of info is youtube. If serious I suggest asking for help in more technical/electrical forums

Links :
Amazon.in: peltier
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
already considered but efficiency is real bad for such space

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
^^Difficult to buy as getting such item from aliexpress/abroad will surely attract the attention of customs officer resulting in a levying of extra customs duty large enough to make the product not worth its price anymore. I just thought of this casually but how about installing/keeping a small refrigerator with its door open towards the direction of cabinet/setup.
how about condensation? will destroy the electronics! need ac with dry mode imo

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought fridge needs special features to add moisture(all those moisture feature to keep fruits/veggies fresh) A Comprehensive Guide to Your Fridge's Humidity Drawers | Bosch Home Appliances

As for humidity,I think that is only an issue if your local climate has high moisture to begin with.Fridge by itself does not produce moisture & condensation needs water vapour present in air.You can try these for extra safety *www.amazon.in/Desiccants-Packets-moisture-Cameras-Electronics/dp/B00GXKVLPE Of course I suggest doing a trial run for few days/week with some other appliances to see if it is feasible before trying it out with actual setup.

I have seen some switches in 2U rack running with lots of inverter batteries in a small room(no hdd though) with no AC(office has them but server room door usually closed/half open) so still avg temps ~30-35C. I think just providing proper ventilation & some cool surrounding atmosphere(say a single water cooler cooling the entire room in a direction away from setup) with a ceiling fan should be enough to keep hdd temps below 50C. This is assuming that your area local temps are not too high(say crossing 45C routinely) & your room is not the top floor.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I thought fridge needs special features to add moisture(all those moisture feature to keep fruits/veggies fresh) A Comprehensive Guide to Your Fridge's Humidity Drawers | Bosch Home Appliances

As for humidity,I think that is only an issue if your local climate has high moisture to begin with.Fridge by itself does not produce moisture & condensation needs water vapour present in air.You can try these for extra safety *www.amazon.in/Desiccants-Packets-moisture-Cameras-Electronics/dp/B00GXKVLPE Of course I suggest doing a trial run for few days/week with some other appliances to see if it is feasible before trying it out with actual setup.

I have seen some switches in 2U rack running with lots of inverter batteries in a small room(no hdd though) with no AC(office has them but server room door usually closed/half open) so still avg temps ~30-35C. I think just providing proper ventilation & some cool surrounding atmosphere(say a single water cooler cooling the entire room in a direction away from setup) with a ceiling fan should be enough to keep hdd temps below 50C. This is assuming that your area local temps are not too high(say crossing 45C routinely) & your room is not the top floor.

here tomorrow 43 deg. today 42. no other ac except Fujitsu General 52 deg ones (og has them since ages) works for this climate.

hdd was 50 degrees when i saw 2 days back.
dvr body where the motherboard resides, i am sure can boil a egg. it has extreme compression tech, that 1 cam 5mp @ 2k is only 1gb per day.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try placing a small fan blowing air directly over the dvr body+some more ventilation around the setup & hopefully it should bring down hdd temps to below 50C.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Try placing a small fan blowing air directly over the dvr body+some more ventilation around the setup & hopefully it should bring down hdd temps to below 50C.

i avoid fans because of dust. a closed cabinet with a small aircon and a air intake filter for that would be perfect.

how about getting a used frost dree double door refrigerator, and making it barebones with the compressor, evaporator and condenser with a temperature control circuit?
using a powerful fan for the evaporator (like a window ac) seems promising. will keep condenser separately out of the cabinet / drill a vent hole on the wall for hot air to get out of the room

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems possible but like I said,do a trial run with some other equipment first. Also not sure but compressor has some safety guidelines so not sure how much you can/should modify it.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Seems possible but like I said,do a trial run with some other equipment first. Also not sure but compressor has some safety guidelines so not sure how much you can/should modify it.
after seeing videos on youtube, explosion during gas charge i will not do any experiments, especially with the new r32/r410a gases. these are high pressure and flammable compared to r22 which is low pressure(half of r32/r410a) and not that explosive nature.

Top Bottom