TV Box

vindance1

Journeyman
Hello Friends,

I am using old LCD TV. It has an USB but does not play most of the movies. I want to purchase a device / TV Box which would allow me to play movies from my external 4TB HDD. I dont need any wifi capability.

Please suggest. Thank you.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
If it were 2015, I would have recommended you a media player.
I've WD. Media Player but the product and support for them are very rare now-a-days.

Something like this.

*www.amazon.in/Cubetek-Media-Player...&qid=1579086165&sprefix=media+,aps,356&sr=8-1

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Mi Box should work. There are tons of lesser-known brands on Amazon and Flipkart. Check review before buying.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Thank you so much guys. Can you please suggest me anything which seems good on Amazon or flipkart or anywhere else?

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Mi Box is great. Can get it eyes closed if in budget. *www.gearbest.com/sale/mi-box/
I was planning for this:
*www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009941072044.html?wid=1349303
Is there any option available in Indian site like amazon etc?

Last edited:

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I think Chromecast is better for mirroring. But OP will have to put required files to his phone or browse through LAN on file manager ( in phone ) to play movies from the TB HDD. When we think like that, an Android box is much easier for his requirements.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
I think Chromecast is better for mirroring. But OP will have to put required files to his phone or browse through LAN on file manager ( in phone ) to play movies from the TB HDD. When we think like that, an Android box is much easier for his requirements.
I agree. But please suggest one. Online. Indian sites.

Thank you.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
FYI chinese site like gearbest ship to india.
I think its possible to attach a hdd to firestick with some usb hub.
Cubetek might be ok . No idea about quality, just seeing it on flipkart for quite some time.
Flipkart has a video player category. I didn't find anything from known brands, the last time I checked. Someone else may know more..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the recent changes in import rules for personal products there are more chances of having to pay a hefty customs duty of ~35% & more delay in getting the delivery too.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I agree. But please suggest one. Online. Indian sites.

Thank you.

I did not find anything good on Flipkart or Amazon. But there were many suggestions and I was keen on top brands. That is why I suggested reading the reviews. Reviews are the only source if you are sticking to Indian eCommerce sites. There are no big names selling Android boxes here.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
After the recent changes in import rules for personal products there are more chances of having to pay a hefty customs duty of ~35% & more delay in getting the delivery too.

35% on the price paid? On all items? Source link please.

@OP
I was in your shoes some time back. For a seamless experience upgrade your TV or get something like a Firestick or so.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
35% on the price paid? On all items? Source link please.

@OP
I was in your shoes some time back. For a seamless experience upgrade your TV or get something like a Firestick or so.
~35% rule was always there but enforced only on costly items depending on your luck but now rules have become stricter so expect more chances of paying customs duty even on low priced products.
Ecomm gifts prohibited to curb Chinese imports

billubakra

Conversation Architect
~35% rule was always there but enforced only on costly items depending on your luck but now rules have become stricter so expect more chances of paying customs duty even on low priced products.
Ecomm gifts prohibited to curb Chinese imports
So, a $10 product from Alibaba will also attract this 35% tax?

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
So, a $10 product from Alibaba will also attract this 35% tax?
In my experience if a product looks expensive then only it will attract customs. Amount of tax depends on the 'assessed value' . Assessed by the custom dept.
Ordered a Rs 2800 cpu - no tax. Small thing didn't looked expensive.
Ordered a Rs 2000 badmintion set. 800 tax. It was big.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience if a product looks expensive then only it will attract customs. Amount of tax depends on the 'assessed value' . Assessed by the custom dept.
Ordered a Rs 2800 cpu - no tax. Small thing didn't looked expensive.
Ordered a Rs 2000 badmintion set. 800 tax. It was big.
That used to be the case earlier but now you may have to pay customs duty even on items that don't look expensive.Will have to wait for 1-2 months to see if it is indeed true as 11/11 sale happened before the latest rule change & most people ordered around that time only.

gcbeldar

In the zone
Does Chromecast requires Internet for Setup and Use ?
One of my Friend said, He is unable to Screen Mirror his Laptop.

Top Bottom