Troubleshooting query - Dell Inspiron 3558

nac

Aspiring Novelist
My cousin has this laptop Dell Inspiron 3558 (i3 4005u with no optical drive).
His system is too slow right from booting into windows loading icons in the desktop, working in browser/documents to shutdown. Everything is slow. Amount of slowness may vary, but in general it's painfully slow.
Scanned for virus, malware. It's clean.
Disabled most of the start up app, still slow.
HDD stays @ 100% all the time. So checked with HD Tune, about 6.5% of the blocks are bad sectors. And a quick check shows warning.
Used Live Ubuntu, it's fine and good.
Tried to install Ubuntu in one of the partition, but failed. Tried 3-4 times, throwing error and stops. Thought if I can install Ubuntu and things works fine, he can use this HDD for now.

Though I am kinda sure new HDD/SSD should fix this, he would like to know if he can still use this somehow.
Move the bad sector and clean/fresh installation of OS should do?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you.

Is there anyway I can find how many SATA slots are in this laptop without opening it (I checked the video of this laptop, it's too much for 1st timer. Too many screws, ribbons/connectors) or do we have to get it to service center to install new disk.
And also would like to know if there is m.2 slot.

Seems like prices have gone up lately, thanks to corona. :(
What's his option? Currently his HDD capacity is 500GB, I see lot of free space and also he has external HDD. So I guess ~250GB should do.
I have these two in mind 860 Evo or MX500. Is there any good cheaper option?

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Thank you.

Is there anyway I can find how many SATA slots are in this laptop without opening it (I checked the video of this laptop, it's too much for 1st timer. Too many screws, ribbons/connectors) or do we have to get it to service center to install new disk.
And also would like to know if there is m.2 slot.

Seems like prices have gone up lately, thanks to corona. :(
What's his option? Currently his HDD capacity is 500GB, I see lot of free space and also he has external HDD. So I guess ~250GB should do.
I have these two in mind 860 Evo or MX500. Is there any good cheaper option?
Get a cheaper DRAM less SSD. Would be enough IMO. What's the budget ?

Reactions: nac

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
*www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+Inspiron+15-3558+Hard+Drive+Replacement/99108
I don't think m.2 slots were present in budget laptops back when this launched.

For a laptop that old, consider cheaper of Kingston A400 or Crucial BX500 240GB ssd. I got the latter for my father's N5110.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since it is a 4th gen intel processor laptop so no chance of m2 slot. It should have 2 sata slots(one for hdd & one for dvd drive).

Ssd prices were set to go up from the beginning of this year itself long before corona situation, I even posted a thread about it in news section:
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/ti...lash-prices-set-to-rise-by-40-in-2020.207669/

Get A400 or BX500 240gb ssd as suggested above, wait for prices to come down next year to buy a bigger/better ssd.

Top Bottom