TRAI to bring Caller-ID App

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has recently announced that it is working on a new “Truecaller-like” caller ID feature. A top official has mentioned that this new mechanism will show the KYC-based names on users' phone displays, whenever they receive a call. Moreover, TRAI has also received a reference to develop this new caller ID system from the Department of Telecom

Source: truecaller: Explained: Know all about TRAI's “Truecaller-like” caller ID feature

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I wonder if you have a choice to opt-out of it. As in if you don't want your details to be shown to everyone.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I wonder if you have a choice to opt-out of it. As in if you don't want your details to be shown to everyone.
Trai has said that it will not enforce the caller ID feature on users without their permission. The telecom regulator has mentioned that this feature will be a consent-based, voluntary programme. Users will have the authority to decide whether or not to have their names displayed which will help keep spam calls at bay. Trai’s caller ID feature will rely on the KYC data that users share with their network providers to avail of their services. These data include ID proofs such as the Aadhaar card and the chances of inaccuracy are close to none

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I was only asking because in Truecaller you have to jump through a lot of hoops to disassociate your name from your number and was wonder whether it would be easier here.

But then again you cannot even opt out of Aadhaar.

PranayMokida

Broken In
I don't think anyone would sub Truecaller for TRAI's app. There's a lot of features on truecaller that a lot of people use and Caller ID is just one feature of Truecaller . Until TRAI rolls out the application, truecaller would only become larger.

Also TRAI's apps have always been shit IMO.

Top Bottom