TP link sent crappier products in the name of refurbished

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

I got TP-Link W8968 and W8961 modems few months back. The second one stopped working after few weeks. I called their CC, they created a RMA and I was given a refurbished W8961 which was full of scratches and fingerprints btw and the power button was like it will come out any minute. But they said that it is working so I kept it. Few weeks back it stopped working, I again followed the same procedure. They sent me a WR841N modem which had less scratches and fingerprints. When I said that it is a lower model, they said that 8961's production has been stopped, when I said I don't care then eventually they sent a 100 page terms and conditions pdf. Anyways out of options I kept it. Now it has stopped working too. I again followed the same procedure and now I have been told that they are not going to do anything as the modem has been already been replaced twice and that is the maximum limit of replacing modem's. I kept on calling, so finally some nice guy picked up. He said that we have entered your s.n. and as per company policy we have replaced it twice so they can't help me but he said that I can get the s.n. of any modem from anyone, even if it's out of warranty, they will enter it in the system and will replace my modem. So, 2 things-

1. Will anyone of you be kind enough to share their TP-Link's s.n. with me? Out of warranty will do.

2. No one repairs modem's atleast in my city. So, can you please share some troubleshooting videos/guides which I can follow to try to repair the modem?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are right about having some maximum no. of replacements allowed under warranty.I don't think any company gives unlimited replacements under warranty though limit may differ from company to company.Also because you have so many issues with modem/router,try finding some common factor other than company(e.g.power socket,ups,inverter,adapter,electricity fluctuations etc,oddly enough your W8968 has no issues). Repairing a modem/router is not worth it when a new one can be had for less than Rs.1000.

I currently don't have any tp-link product outside of warranty.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
did you check the power adapter? mostly it would have been damaged by voltage issues...
usually things under the power adapter will not go bad..
I'm running a TP link router 24x7 since 5 August 2014...on conditioned power(i.e. inverter so no voltage issues)

or it might be your phone line surges / LAN cable from ISP hitting some high voltage line / lightning strikes.
Many times lan ports are fried when lightning strikes on the ISP switches.

Top Bottom