To Ultrawide Or Not. And to i5 or not.

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
I am planning to build myself a gaming rig in sometime.
Most of my parts are quite finalised.

I am researching best to my internet nomadic skills.

However I need help with some points, though.
The reason I didnt fill the From coz i think that wasnt needed as this thread is more about clearing doubts rather than knowing the entire build.

So here come the questions:-
1) GtX 1080 will be my pixel spitter of choice. Any custom variant of it. No FE thing.
Now to cut corners I selected my CPU as the i5 6600K.
Now the rig is all about gaming.
7+ hours a day, and about 5 hours rendereing+editing.
But will a 6600K(nonOC) bottleneck a 1080?

2)Also I got a chance to experiance what Ultrawide gaming tastes like, and its delicious.
Now I have The Acer predator X34 in my sights.
But then I could not find any warranty related information on Acer's website.
Now the retailer guy(MdComputers) says that the montor comes with a 3 yr manufacturer warranty. And it does.
But then the Acer's website pretty much talks of that in America and Canada. India is nowhere to be found.
Do you guys have any experiance wrt to RMA of Acer monitor.
MdComputer claims that its warranted. Is it safe to buy the X34?

3) Also how much difference a gaming keyboard acutally makes. I use a gaming mouse. G502. And it makes sense to have more buttons at fingertips. But what about gaming keyboards.
Does antighosting or multikey rollover actually make any difference what so ever?

With the X34 monitor my budget has been pushed to about 2 lakhs. So i am trying to keep some corners cut to further extend my budget. Hence the keyboard question.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you people provide.

samyaks15

Broken In
3) But what about gaming keyboards.
Does antighosting or multikey rollover actually make any difference what so ever?

Keyboard will make zero difference . Better buy a cheap keyboard like k200 . If you intend to play first person shooters make sure to get a large mousepad (they usually range between rs 900-1500 ,also go for qck or speed editions) because you will need to lower your sense/dpi a lot to aim better and quicker . Most pros play at 400dpi/in game sens b/w (1.5-3)(for bf4/cs:go).
Also better gear will be of no help if your are not skilled. Only thing you need you is a mouse with good sensor that can read quick swipes(atleast g400s) and atleast a medium sized mousepad. And a lot of practice of course.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
why get cheap keyboard, get a great one, adds to the whole setup.
if you are going to spend 2lakhs might as well get a good one for 10k

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
why get cheap keyboard, get a great one, adds to the whole setup.
if you are going to spend 2lakhs might as well get a good one for 10k

I just saw the razer deathstalker.
Not the one with the stupid screen.
The one that costs 3k.
Is it any good?
It's actually called "deathstalker essential'..

Last edited:

imlokesh

Broken In
I just saw the razer deathstalker.
Not the one with the stupid screen.
The one that costs 3k.
Is it any good?
It's actually called "deathstalker essential'..

I would suggest that you get any entry level mechanical keyboard. Once you start using mechanical keyboards, their superiority is pretty evident.

Deathstalker is a good choice if you actually need 10 key rollover.

Also, looks like you've already decided to go ultrawide but just looking for rma assurance. I wouldn't worry about that too much because I've had bad experience with companies that have good reviews online in terms of rma.

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
I would suggest that you get any entry level mechanical keyboard. Once you start using mechanical keyboards, their superiority is pretty evident.

Deathstalker is a good choice if you actually need 10 key rollover.

Also, looks like you've already decided to go ultrawide but just looking for rma assurance. I wouldn't worry about that too much because I've had bad experience with companies that have good reviews online in terms of rma.

1) Actually I specifically dont need a mechanical keyboard. Coz ill be doing voiceovers when I play, and the mechanical keyboard's click will disrupt a clean audio.

2) I have pretty much hit a roadblock on my Ultrawide selection.I dont think ill be able to use an ultrwide even though I buy one.
I guess I'll have to stick with a 1080p panel.
Ill have been scoping BenQ XL2420G

OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
May I ask why? Space constraints?
Space constrains can be dealt with.
Buy hard drives I guess.
That would solve it.
But then I have to start a gaimg channel over at Youtube.
I have been pushing it now for about an year.
The thing is Youtube only lets you go 1080p, (M ignoring its 2k options)
And frankly there arent any good capture cards or software that would help me capture 3440*1440p res and then convert them to FHD.
Also in many games cutsceens are still in 16:9 rather than 21:9.
That would form black bars, but then the lack of capture device is the primary reason..

PS:- after posting m realising maybe that you were taking about space constrains in physical terms...
Not in digital terms..
Physical space isn't an issue for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also better gear will be of no help if your are not skilled.
Yeah.True.
But I think having a better gear might help in honing the skills quick.
BTW I have a G502.
Never used a gaming keyboard though..

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
ultrawide seems only for productivity and movies.
not sure about gaming, coz many games don't support it

Last edited:
OP
S

shekharSHASHANK

Journeyman
ultrawide seems only for productivity and movies.
not sure about gaming, coz many games don't support it

Most new games support it..
Old ones rarely do unless they patch it or something.
Also you can get UW resolutions by adding a few lines of codes in .ini files like in Witcher3.
The olny thing that stops me from getting an ultrwide is the lack of a suitable capture software or device

Tanmay

Journeyman
Also Can anyone tell me if i6 6600K(non OC) would bottleneck a Gtx1080 at 1080p resolutions.

It won't be a bottleneck, in fact if you OC it to about 4.4Ghz it will be on par with the i7 6700k (OC'd to 4.4Ghz). An i7 makes sense if you're doing other processor intensive tasks such as transcoding, for gaming the 6600k is a great fit.

Top Bottom