To Shift from S7 Edge... need advice

Gauravchi

Journeyman
Hi,

I am planning to change my mobile, but not sure which one to opt for. Filling in the questionnaire first.

1. Budget?
Upto 50k.. but any saving is welcome :)

2. Display type and size?
Not sure about type... would expect something from best. As of size... I guess anything larger than S7 Edge would not be much comfortable to use, but again that's depend on form factor, aspect ratio, etc. And now all phones have much lesser bezel, so I would say, comfortable size would be fine.

3. Dual sim?
Yes.. microSD/SIM swap would work.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Well, my journey has been like this: Nokia 6030> Nokia N70 > Xperia > S7 E. So I guess I would like to stick with these brands (Samsung, Apple, Sony, Google, etc.). I have not used OP/Mi/Oppo, so I cannot comment. Peaceful life is what I want ;)
BTW... I have noticed that my S7 really giving problems (hang, system UI issue, etc.) these days. I got this feedback from my friends as well that Samsung devices start getting laggy after a couple of years. Is it really the case? May be Samsung does with with updates? Just throwing out my thoughts.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Best ones in the market.. front as well as rear.

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc).
No rigidity.

7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC or 5Ghz wifi).
5G ready is most welcome.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Ordered by use/expectation: Camera>Multimedia>Internet>Practical

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
I was thinking of a Note (which one I don't know, depends on different discount/sale options) to have a taste of stylus and cool look. But not decided, so open for suggestions.

10. Any other info that you want to share
Yes. After-sales service should be good. I remember Apple service center asking for ~17k for extra warranty for Mac Air. Lol. Samsung is good in this, they had provided pick and drop facility. Also, overall look of mobile phone with practical form factor is highly desirable.

In case I should wait for some new launch, I would be able to do so for a couple of months. Thank you for reading this patiently.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Samsung Galaxy S10 will exceed your budget but keep an eye on coming amazon sale around 15th Aug & with all discount/exchange offers you should be able to get it within/near 50k.

S10 & Note 9 are good contenders. With the launch of Note 10 on Aug 7, expect Note 9's prices to drop. Sales around Aug 15 is the time for you to buy. My preference would be S10 over Note 9 because its a newer device.

If you want to save money, get OP7. Will satisfy all your needs. No 5G phones in India, don't worry about it for another 2 years.

Samsung had the reputation of getting laggy after a year or two, but I observed nothing major in my S8, its 2 years old now. I have a friend with S7E & even he was complaining of lag, but his views might be skewed as his second phone is OP5, which is surely fast. Another friend with S7 says his phone has slowed down a bit but he didn't mention anything major. I think lags in Samsung phones might be due to Exynos SoC or OS. My S8 is Snapdragon variant, so maybe that's why it didn't slow down or Samsung Experience introduced with S8 took care of the problem & One UI improved it further. Or maybe my phone is still good because I use Nova launcher & have some Samsung apps disabled (sadly no more disabling Bixby). I don't have any friends in India who is using S8 or later, so can't exactly compare.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
S7 series is 3 years old now, which is the expected life span of smartphones these days. Seeing some lags now should be considered normal. @anupam_pb one of my friends have s8 exynos variant and it is working fine for him till now atleast. lol
@Gauravchi Did you try resetting your phone, etc.? Mobile market is over saturated these days and none of the models can be considered "latest". You buy something today and tomorrow its the old news. It is better to use up your existing phone as much as possible because the market is always swamped anyways. ;) If you decide to buy a phone after 4-5 months from now, maybe it would be a different story about what you should buy.
If its absolute necessary for you to buy a phone right now, OP 7 Pro is a nice option especially for its 90Hz display. None of the phones feel as quick as this one because of its better refresh rate screen. However, you may find it bigger than what you need though.

Reactions: Neo
OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
S7 series is 3 years old now, which is the expected life span of smartphones these days. Seeing some lags now should be considered normal. @anupam_pb one of my friends have s8 exynos variant and it is working fine for him till now atleast. lol
@Gauravchi Did you try resetting your phone, etc.? Mobile market is over saturated these days and none of the models can be considered "latest". You buy something today and tomorrow its the old news. It is better to use up your existing phone as much as possible because the market is always swamped anyways. ;) If you decide to buy a phone after 4-5 months from now, maybe it would be a different story about what you should buy.
If its absolute necessary for you to buy a phone right now, OP 7 Pro is a nice option especially for its 90Hz display. None of the phones feel as quick as this one because of its better refresh rate screen. However, you may find it bigger than what you need though.

Yes, OP7 would be a little bigger for me. Agree with your point of maximising the usage... but camera quality also feel obsolete now, especially selfie one.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
S10 & Note 9 are good contenders. With the launch of Note 10 on Aug 7, expect Note 9's prices to drop. Sales around Aug 15 is the time for you to buy. My preference would be S10 over Note 9 because its a newer device.

If you want to save money, get OP7. Will satisfy all your needs. No 5G phones in India, don't worry about it for another 2 years.

Samsung had the reputation of getting laggy after a year or two, but I observed nothing major in my S8, its 2 years old now. I have a friend with S7E & even he was complaining of lag, but his views might be skewed as his second phone is OP5, which is surely fast. Another friend with S7 says his phone has slowed down a bit but he didn't mention anything major. I think lags in Samsung phones might be due to Exynos SoC or OS. My S8 is Snapdragon variant, so maybe that's why it didn't slow down or Samsung Experience introduced with S8 took care of the problem & One UI improved it further. Or maybe my phone is still good because I use Nova launcher & have some Samsung apps disabled (sadly no more disabling Bixby). I don't have any friends in India who is using S8 or later, so can't exactly compare.

My Exynos S7 is also lag free, touch wood. Battery life has degraded over the years but nothing to complain except no more updates.

Neo

S7 series is 3 years old now, which is the expected life span of smartphones these days.
My one plus one lasted me almost 4 years. Even then it wasn't that it was lagging that made me switch, but the back cover broke. Pretty sure if still be using it if that hadn't happened. And that's speaking for a phone I bought for 22k

Using Mi A2 now, next phone for sure is gonno be a Pixel

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
Well, saw some reviews of Note 10. With all the good things, one common pointer I am getting is that it's hefty price tag seems not very justified. Another pointer I am getting is that there is expected big leap in camera quality in Samsung line up next year with Qualcomm coming up with new processor variants. Should I consider waiting for a year as I want to go for flagship only? Though it seems difficult for me to wait, meanwhile may be I would go with a mid-budget phone? What's your suggestion Anupam? Also, Goku's comment is also welcome :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say go with some mid range phone for now,may within next year all this notch/popup camera/in screen sensors debate will settle down.

Well, saw some reviews of Note 10. With all the good things, one common pointer I am getting is that it's hefty price tag seems not very justified. Another pointer I am getting is that there is expected big leap in camera quality in Samsung line up next year with Qualcomm coming up with new processor variants. Should I consider waiting for a year as I want to go for flagship only? Though it seems difficult for me to wait, meanwhile may be I would go with a mid-budget phone? What's your suggestion Anupam? Also, Goku's comment is also welcome :)
The wait for newer model is a vicious cycle. There are new flagships every 6 months. I'd say S10 is a safe bet for you if you really want a flagship, otherwise budget flagships like Redmi K20 Pro or OP7 are good choices. Even Redmi K20 is a great device for you considering it just has a weaker SoC compared to K20 Pro & you aren't going to play games to see any difference. Flagships are not a good value for sure compared to these.

For me personally, I buy flagships because I need a small phone. Otherwise, I would have used such flagship killers instead.

Wasn't Asus ROG 2 @ 38k a much better deal than s9+ @ 34k?
Just saying.
No, its not as portable (check its weight & size), not to forget, doesn't look professional at all. OP 7T can be considered a better choice for sure, but S9+ might have a bit better primary cam, no other advantage.

Compare Asus ROG Phone 2 vs Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus: Price, Specs, Review | Gadgets Now
Asus ROG 2 is million times better than S9+
As I said earlier, its bigger & heavier than competitors, not by a small amount. Check its size & weight vs OP 7T which has a similar sized display:
Compare Asus ROG Phone II ZS660KL vs. Samsung Galaxy S9+ vs. OnePlus 7T - GSMArena.com

So ROG 2 isn't a clear winner, 7T can still be considered one. I'll bet on S9+ having better primary & selfie cam than the other 2. My S8 has a better front & rear cam than OP 6T (only noticeable in low/artificial lighting conditions though). I agree ultrawide is better to have than telephoto though & that you are paying a premium for Samsung.

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
I chose s9+ over OP7T mainly because of after sales. Although I have never experienced OP support service, but am happy with samsung. And second reason is camera.

Well.. my brother now demanding one.. s9.. within a month. Any suggestion? Maybe I would get s10 n handover to him s9+ :p but not sure whether he would agree.. :D

Well.. any thoughts?

I chose s9+ over OP7T mainly because of after sales. Although I have never experienced OP support service, but am happy with samsung. And second reason is camera.

Well.. my brother now demanding one.. s9.. within a month. Any suggestion? Maybe I would get s10 n handover to him s9+ :p but not sure whether he would agree.. :D

Well.. any thoughts?
Samsung should still have better after-sales & camera for sure but OP is currently the biggest premium smartphone brand in terms of sales, which happened for a reason. I expect after sales to be ok-ish, Pixel apparently has worse after-sales. 60k for S10 is pretty expensive, not sure why there aren't price cuts in India like the US. S10 is a good device, expensive for sure.

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
Hi,
So, till now Iam happy with my s9+.
Looking to buy one for my brother in upcoming sale. How about A series and M series? Are they comparable with s9+?

Top Bottom