Times Network acquires Digit from 9.9 media.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Source: *www.adgully.com/times-network-acquires-digit-to-boost-presence-in-tech-gaming-communities-146193.html

This includes the print and website.

We don't know what this entails at this point. Stay tuned for more updates.

Techenclave is a much bigger forum at this point, even r/IndianGaming is very active but isn't a forum in true sense like TDF or TE.

I assume most people here have accounts in TE & reddit as well.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure what to feel about this acquisition. But if they meddle too much in forum, then yes end of a 15 year era for me too.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
in case forum shuts down, which will be best among reddit and discord to continue discussions and queries related to purchase?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
in case forum shuts down, which will be best among reddit and discord to continue discussions and queries related to purchase?

Same...Find the solution of Alternative

@Desmond
I'm discussing with other mods. We will probably have some contingency in case things go south.

Will share more details once we do so.

Running a forum costs money, so budgeting needs to be done.

Also growing a new forum is also difficult.

quicky008

Technomancer
it would be a pity to see this forum go-it's one of the few sites i visit regularly and i daresay i have a degree of sentimental attachment to digit that stems from my habit of reading chip/digit magazines from back when i was still at school(circa 2001 or earlier i think).Also most of the senior members of this forum are very knowledgeable and share a lot of insightful info when it comes to troubleshooting hardware/software related issues (even programming problems).

It would be a priviledge to remain connected to the other members in some way in case this forum is closed-maybe we could add each other on FB.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
TE is just market place. People are only active because of market place and happen to post elsewhere. But yeah, it does keep forums alive.

r/IndianGaming does not have much idea about how computers work.

In general, internet has evolved (for the worse) and forum culture is now dead.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Discord doesn't seem like best way to have forum like discussion. Reddit seems best but creating another tech related subreddit, that too on Indian based market is only redundant now. TE seems best option as of yet. What about other international forums like LTT?

Whatever is the solution, I also want to echo what quicky008 said, I would like to keep in touch with the group wherever it may be <3.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
TE is just market place. People are only active because of market place and happen to post elsewhere. But yeah, it does keep forums alive.

r/IndianGaming does not have much idea about how computers work.

In general, internet has evolved (for the worse) and forum culture is now dead.
Damn an end of an era

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think lowering attention spans is to blame, exacerbated by short form social media platforms like Twitter, reddit, instagram, etc.

I wonder if a Discourse based forum is a better format in the long term, though IMO Xenforo does a good job of creating a great and modern forum experience.

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes, categorized topics are better and easy to search and follow. Isn't Xenforo paid? How do we continue it?
Reddit forum is also acceptable since we can have own post for queries and discussions.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Isn't Xenforo paid? How do we continue it?
We'll have to host another instance if things go south. We haven't decided on the specifics yet. Just waiting and watching for now.

A Xenforo license for self-hosting costs a one time fee of $195. While this has lifetime validity, security updates after one year of use require $60 renewal every year. Features such as file manager, media gallery and faster searching cost extra. Plus a whopping $350 to remove the Xenforo copyright branding from the public pages of the site.

Infrastructure costs are separate and depend on the type of hosting solution you want to go with.

Top Bottom