Time to give up or can this be saved ?

$hadow

Geek in making
Hey Guys,
Back after a really long time, haven't be on at all lately so completely out of touch with Forum as well as new tech .

Now coming to the dreaded question my 510p is seeming like it's coming to its age

Ram utilization is constantly above 75%, in the initial 10 mins of booting up it is absolutely non usable since hdd is running at 100% capacity utilization.
Now my question is is there any way I can improve this machine, planning to upgrade but it'll take some time and I'm planning to get back to PC gaming.
Other components are working just fine but it is the performance which has made me worried lately.
Hoping you al can help this old lad.

Happy to be back!!
1595767739162.png

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Replace the boot drive with MX500 250GB if you plan to keep the laptop yourself for extra 3-5 years or with cheaper of Kingston A400, Crucial BX500 240GB if you would be giving/selling it to someone else.

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
Replace the boot drive with MX500 250GB if you plan to keep the laptop yourself for extra 3-5 years or with cheaper of Kingston A400, Crucial BX500 240GB if you would be giving/selling it to someone else.
Can I set this up with my existing HDD or I've to install it in place of my HDD?
I'm planning to keep this laptop for sometime, this is still running fine for me as of now.
It's just these performance hiccups which sometimes makes me wonder what should I do to keep this thing a float.

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
I think you'll have to check if m.2 slot is present in it and then you can just get a sata m.2 ssd without removing the HDD.
It does have a m.2 slot, suggest me some good alternatives in both 500 and 250 gb categories. 7k approx budget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/crucial-mx500-m-2-2280-250gb-sata-iii-3d-nand-ssd-ct250mx500ssd4-2/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/crucial-mx500-m-2-2280-500gb-sata-iii-3d-nand-ssd-ct500mx500ssd4/

Also buy soon because stock of pc components is getting finished quickly & limited supply is unable to keep up.

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/crucial-mx500-m-2-2280-250gb-sata-iii-3d-nand-ssd-ct250mx500ssd4-2/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/crucial-mx500-m-2-2280-500gb-sata-iii-3d-nand-ssd-ct500mx500ssd4/

Also buy soon because stock of pc components is getting finished quickly & limited supply is unable to keep up.
Should I wait for Prime day or buy it right away??
Amazon prices seems to be in sync with other places rn.

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
Wait for Prime Day sale then, chances of this getting out of stock or price increase is small by that time but still your choice.
So should I clone only windows partition or entire c drive to the SSD?
And software to be used for the same?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Do this:

Shut down your PC, disconnect the HDD, boot it up, check if SSD is getting detected in BIOS and only then proceed to install windows 10 on it. This way, you won't have any issues with partitioning scheme. Once windows 10 is up and running, connect the hdd, copy/backup important data and format the HDD to get rid of existing partitions.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
C drive=windows partition.

It is better to fresh install OS on ssd unless you have too many softwares/settings you want to preserve on hdd. In case you really want to then you can use this software giveaway(check post#9)
*malwaretips.com/threads/aomei-backupper-professional-5-7-free-license.100186/

Another option:
*malwaretips.com/threads/aomei-partition-assistant-pro-8-5-free-license.100370/

*www.diskpart.com/help/migrate-system-wizard.html

Last edited:

virajdhuru

New to this forum
I had recently faced a similar issue, and what I did was try to remove every non-essential program from C drive, and copied the multimedia files over to an external drive. Cloned the C drive over to the new SSD and replaced the hard drive on the laptop with the new SSD. Did not want to fresh install Windows as I had a few corporate applications on it and did not want to risk them not working again. Has given my laptop a new lease of life for a few years atleast. BTW, I own a Lenovo Z50-70 which did not have a secondary drive bay and my attempt at replacing the DVD drive with a harddrive caddy was a failure :cry:.

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making

On a side note how's WD blue series? I think they'll differ for like 300 or so, plus I think WD provides Better RMA.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a side note how's WD blue series? I think they'll differ for like 300 or so, plus I think WD provides Better RMA.
Only WD Black series is worth buying along with latest WD Blue SN550 NVMe series. Crucial RMA is handled by kaizen(same one who handles corsair rma) so after sales support should not be an issue.

virajdhuru

New to this forum
In what way it failed.
It would not let me select to boot from SSD even after cloning the C drive and keeping the formatted harddrive in the caddy as the SSD wasn't even showing up in the BIOS. The other way worked, but then it would still boot from the harddrive but would still crash after the Lenovo logo. I wasted about half a day trying to get it to work but then gave up after trying every possible combination, even tried flicking the switch on the caddy but was not able to boot from SSD. Finally kept only the SSD in the laptop, and connected the harddrive to my desktop.

Top Bottom