TIFU by buying a Motorola E13 that was actually softlocked by Jio.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This actually happened last Saturday, so it's technically not a TIFU but it's still recent enough to be called that I think :p

I was looking for a cheap second phone with stock android for some work related tasks. So, after some research, I settled for the Motorola E13 which seemed good enough for my use case, so I ordered it from Amazon.

When I booted up the phone, everything looked fine, except that it had some bloat apps like Jio, which was a red flag but I thought it didn't really mean anything, so I continued setting it up.

However, when I pulled down the notification drawer, I noticed a message on the bottom saying "SecureLock is enabled". I wasn't sure what SecureLock is, so I tapped it to check it out. This is what came up:

photo1705164212.jpeg

Tapping on "View policies" brings this up:

photo1705163734.jpeg

Nowhere does it say on the box or on the Amazon product page that the phone was actually a part of some subsidy program (JioExclusive). Looking up the scheme, I came across this policy page: *www.jio.com/en-in/jioexlusive-motorola-terms-conditions-e13 (archive dot org link in case this link rots: *web.archive.org/web/20240113165358/*www.jio.com/en-in/jioexlusive-motorola-terms-conditions-e13).

As part of this scheme, you cannot the SIM of any other carrier other than Jio for 30 days after purchasing the device. So the phone is practically useless if you want to use any other SIM. If you want to prematurely unlock the device to use with any other carrier, you have to pay them a fee:

1705303538828.png

What in the actual **** is this? First they bait customers and then lock them out of their own phones without even informing beforehand. This should not be legal.

Plus the terms and conditions have some more red flags:

Code:
- You shall not tamper with or in any manner misuse the Eligible Device, including but not limited to rooting attempts, reverse engineering, unlocking or jail-breaking of the Eligible Device or original firmware(s) or software(s) of the Eligible Device.
- You allow and shall continue to allow all the applications of the Company and its affiliates, to access your Eligible Device’s mobile data including but not limited to its contacts, gallery, camera, location.

I spoke with Amazon customer care and even they were puzzled as to what the issue is. I asked them to either give me a model that is completely carrier unlocked or refund me completely. They redirected me to multiple teams until one technical team member said that replacement might not help here and finally agreed to take back the phone and refund me.

This is completely unacceptable, they must be upfront about things like this on the product page. I saw in the comment section of the phone that one guy asked to replace the phone and the replacement phone was also locked like this. I could not even uninstall the Jio app, it could only be disabled.

Be warned people and check out for such practices for any phone model you are looking to buy.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This is some egregious bait and switch. Since it does not say on the product page that the phone is carrier locked, customers will always assume it's unlocked and buy accordingly.

kaz

right here
Isn't it Flipkart EXCLUSIVE? What seller did you get if from on Amazon?

I got the same phone last year for my father from Flipkart and he is using it with an Airtel SIM from day 1.

1705321494264.png

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I bought this same one. This is the product link as displayed on my orders page: *www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C1CF8XPD/

Note sure which seller.

I don't know whether this model comes in a non-Jio variant or not. If it does, it's possible that someone may have accidentally sent me the Jio subsidy one. Whatever is the case, I don't want Jio's bullshit on my phone right now. Perhaps I'll try my luck with the upcoming Motorola G34 if they don't pull a stunt like this.

Nothing to say, I'm returning the phone.
Best option, buy it from FK if you want this phone specifically. I thought exclusive phones selling in other platforms were just resellers selling it for a markup, I have seen online only phones being sold locally for 1-2k markup (even at 2k extra it is many times a better deal than what options are available offline from Samsung, vivo or oppo).

This case is just the seller scamming people with a locked phone.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Sad stuff how phone is locked. I'd say don't try to buy this again from Flipkart. Wait for the next one to be out of just get a redmi or something. That should do it.

Top Bottom