This has to be the future of gaming laptops

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

This has to be the future of gaming laptops​

Framework shows what notebooks should be like, and now I desperately want it to make a gaming laptop

Check this Linus Tech Tips video once:

Source: This has to be the future of gaming laptops

I doubt it will be the future of laptops. At best, laptops will stay like current gaming laptops with expandable RAM & storage. At worst, it can become like Macbook.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I doubt it will be the future of laptops.
Not with that attitude it won't!
I am totally invested in the idea. I hope they start shipping to India, in a couple of years, when I would want to buy it!
The only laptop I ever bought was Lenovo G50, second hand only since my friend was selling it cheap. But if I ever want to purchase myself a laptop, this would be it!

Not with that attitude it won't!
I am totally invested in the idea. I hope they start shipping to India, in a couple of years, when I would want to buy it!
The only laptop I ever bought was Lenovo G50, second hand only since my friend was selling it cheap. But if I ever want to purchase myself a laptop, this would be it!
Just being realistic.

Most consumers didn't want end of 3.5mm jack or SD card on phones, yet those were killed by Apple, others followed suit.

MXM Port for Laptop GPUs were a thing since a long time. The problem is lack of GPU vendors.
Yes, were relatively common on 17" desktop replacements at least. Desktop replacements still exist like MSI GT77, surely a minority, but even they lack that.

Many gaming laptops are trying to push for soldered RAM & inverted mobo as well. If Apple wins in removing the right to repair, that will mark the beginning of the end of anything like upgrading or even 3rd party repairs.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Last I heard, Apple was following something in the direction to right to repair.
Granted it was a half a** attempt, but it was in the positive direction.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Most consumers didn't want end of 3.5mm jack or SD card on phones, yet those were killed by Apple, others followed suit.
There's a reason there are Apple haters. As long as there will be some people enthusiastic about headphone jack, there will be some manufacturer that would cater to that market. Albeit it might prove be more costly than former counterparts. And I am ready to pay for such basic features.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yes, were relatively common on 17" desktop replacements at least. Desktop replacements still exist like MSI GT77, surely a minority, but even they lack that.

Many gaming laptops are trying to push for soldered RAM & inverted mobo as well. If Apple wins in removing the right to repair, that will mark the beginning of the end of anything like upgrading or even 3rd party repairs.
Because the soldered RAM is cheaper for them to manufacture compared to dedicated RAM and mobo.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
How is soldered RAM is cheaper to manufacture?
They buy in bulk

E.g.: Lenovo will sign a contract with Gigabyte on manufacturing mobo with soldered RAM. This way the inventory of Gigabyte is always utilized and will make it cheaper for Lenovo. WIN-WIN situation for both.
other way round Gigabyte also makes dedicated laptop motherboard but their inventory is not sold completely.

Because the soldered RAM & inverted mobo is cheaper for them to manufacture compared to dedicated RAM and mobo.
I can agree that soldered RAM might be cheaper, but how is inverting the mobo cheaper. Mobo inversion seems like an anti-consumer practice to me to hinder consumer repairs/upgrades, MSI's thin gaming laptops started it, if I remember correctly. Alienware has it now, some thin Acer Triton laptops as well.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I can agree that soldered RAM might be cheaper, but how is inverting the mobo cheaper. Mobo inversion seems like an anti-consumer practice to me to hinder consumer repairs/upgrades, MSI's thin gaming laptops started it, if I remember correctly. Alienware has it now, some thin Acer Triton laptops as well.
What is mobo inversion ?

Top Bottom