The Rubik's Cube Thread

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
[MENTION=129731]Shah[/MENTION], whats your average now?

I haven't had a single solve in couple of months :(

Shah

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=129731]Shah[/MENTION], whats your average now?

I haven't had a single solve in couple of months :(

That's the same case with me too. Have been busy with studies, exam and all. :(
I even forgot most of the algs. Will start practicing once exams are over.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I came to know about this amazing app on cube solving. You can even take snap of the cube's sides and then take help of app in solving actual cube. (cheating :rolleyes:)

Rubik's Cube Fridrich Solver
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BodorGdev.fridrichsolver2

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
I had no idea this thread was still active.. So people still cubing these days?? I carry a cube with me all the time in my bag but havnt got the chance to solve it in the last 2-3 months.. What are your best timings??

sygeek

Technomancer
Need a suggestion for a rubik's cube near 500 bucks. I used to solve them in around 1min 5-6 years back. Decided to pick it up as a hobby again. Which would you guys recommend?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Anyone still cubing?

I have this cube bought more than a decade ago from a local store for about ~100/- just to see if I can solve it. I couldn't so took help from google and learned an 8-step solution from www.chessandpoker.com/rubiks-cube-solution.html and memorised the steps. Ever since it's mostly collecting dusts, if I happened to see it when I am cleaning or searching for something I check if I still remember the steps, obviously I don't remember some of 'em. I would go to the bookmarked page and do it. It never felt fair as I didn't do on my own. Until very recently I thought most are doing it on their own esp professionals, but it looks like most learn some algorithms and do it fast. This was about a week ago when I was looking online to see if there is anyway I can do it quicker than I was doing with the above method.

Since Fridrich is a popular one, I thought I can give it a try. But memorizing that 119 algorithms felt like a lot. I can't even remember the 8-step solution after a long gap. There is no way I can memorize and remember that many algorithms. I can do the first layer without any algorithm, if there is a way to solve the entire cube that way, that would be good. You know like swimming, riding a bicycle kinda way. I thought may be with a better quality cube I may be able to solve it quicker. Currently my solving time is in the range of 2.5 - 6 min. I don't know if it's me or the cube, I am still using the wrist to turn, not like the professionals who does some slick finger moves. Searched online for cubes, and came across Cubelelo. Didn't know cubes could cost 1000s of rupees. They suggest a 200/- unit for a beginner. The one I have is tension adjustable which I came to know just this week. I don't know if that makes it a speedcube, it doesn't corner cut though.

I am still a beginner using that 8-step method to solve. Should I use the cube I have to learn any new method to solve quicker or get a speedcube? What would be your suggestion? I don't think my level of interest would go past beginner level, so I think can I stick with one of these cube or should I go for a magnetic version?

There is price difference. Are they same Cubelelo vs Amazon?

Popsugar QiYi Warrior - 110 (Amazon) vs QiYi Warrior - 170 (Cubelelo)
D ETERNAL MoYu MFJS MeiLong 3C - 229 (Amazon) vs MoYu MeiLong 3C 3x3 - 279 (Cubelelo)

This is the one I have.
rubik.jpg

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Bought Popsugar Qiyi Warrior, it's not good. So bought Moyu Meilong 3C.

Learned the widely used beginner method (a 7-step one, the one I learned before was a 8-step one and a bit complex algorithm) and later learned beginner CFOP (the 2-step OLL and PLL) too. After about a month, my Ao5 is hovering around 1.5 min give or take 15 sec and some screw ups every now and then while trying to beat personal best in which case it may take over 2 or even 3 min. My time was pretty much same with both the beginner and CFOP. I was hoping timing would improve with CFOP, but even with less number of turns than the beginner, I am taking as much time as the beginner. Reason would be I am taking more time to recognize the patterns.

About a handful of times, I got sub 1-min. But each and every time, it's because of either or both OLL/PLL skip.

To get under 1-min consistently, I need to,
Recognize patterns quicker
Learn to insert F2L pairs at back
Instead of thinking and applying the algorithms, my muscle should remember and do it quicker
And most importantly, develop some good finger tricks/positioning

This is my best so far,
rub.png

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Bought N52 magnets and glued to the cubes in DIY fashion. First, I glued 48 magnets on edge and corner cubes. After a week or so, I doubled and it was good. After a week I got back to original 48. Bought silicone oil, it's good for couple of days and I need to lube again. I thought lubing would last for a month or so. May be the quality I bought isn't good.

Improving time is super hard :chucks:
rub.png

I am recognizing F2L cases better, but still using the basic 41 and still need to bring corner cube to front right to recognize the cases. Learning to insert other than front left would take more practice. I can't think of look ahead until I am extremely good at recognizing the cases.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Learned 40+ Intermediate/Advanced F2L algos. Solving times are pretty much the same, just the consistency got better.

I didn't expect I would be spending this much time in cubing. So thought of stopping it for a while. Before that I wanted to do 100 solves and see the stats. Here are my best so far,

rub 2.png

Top Bottom