The perfect & sweet HTPC configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
While helping Blackbird with his HTPC needs, I found that we can make a very good HTPC in today’s market. It’s very simple, small & effective.

Although, HTPC needs differ from people to people but here is something I think should be good as a starting point for HTPC. Remember, this PC is made for everything but not for gaming. If you want to play games too then this configuration will need some modification in GPU & cabinet segment.

Windows Vista Home Premium

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ AM2. Good enough for all HD & HTPC needs

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard. Best in HTPC class. Comes with onboard HDMI port, eSATA, Firewire, DirectX 10 based Radeon HD 3200 class graphics support, everything a small HTPC will need.

2X1 GB DDR2 RAM. This is enough.

Zebronics Dhoom Cabinet or Cooler Master CM - Media Series cabinets if they are available.

Western digital WD2500AAKS Hard disk. 250 GB, 16 MB Cache. Although go for more space if u need it.

Cooler Master Hyper L3 CPU cooler for near silent operation of the CPU.
Samsung SH-S203D DVD Writer

Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Global Media Center Edition TV Tuner card for all your Analog TV needs.

Sound Blaster Xtreme Audio PCIe sound card, made for Vista & HTPC.

19" LG L194WT LCD Monitor, supports HDCP over DVI port. Full HD Ready.

Philips HiFi SHP8900 headphones if u need headphones.

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 keyboard & mouse.

Speakers as you need

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^ I don't think there is a need for CM Hyper L3 for a HTPC.......AMD stock coolers r much silent compared to Intel, and I hav never seen any new AMD AM2 proc going beyond 45+deg.C

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Hmmmmm................ my HTPC with more or less the above configuration may come alive tom, though it will take some more time to add to its finality.( will it ever ?)As far DDR2 RAM, as recommended by Gigabyte, I have gone in for 2 GB 800 MHz, dual channel.

Cabinet - I have used Zebronics CUBE, a recent introduction.The cabinet has three fans already and the VIP 400W SMPS with a 120 mm fan blowing in /out on the motherboard directly below will further enhance the cooling and I presume no further cooling will be necessary.

And yep, I have two Western Digital WD 2500AAKS that will spin in the raid mode.

As for audio I feel the Realtek chip with more than 106db S/N ratio and with all the bells and whistles is more than sufficient.

Since I do not have an HDTV with HDMI or a 24" monitor with full HD capability, I am going slow on the TV tuner card.Compro Videomate has come out with some Vista TV tuner cards and my eyes are set on it.Temporarily however, I may plug-out the Yuan PG-600 tuner card from my existing Mediacenter PC, should I decide to move this PC to the hall, and when I do, it will pump the sound through my Philips AV receiver driven by the optical out of the PC. I may also add the mediacenter specific Microsoft Wireless keyboard. Right now my wallet has become thin:)

I will also order Power DVD ultra and get ready for the blu-ray.

The list is long but hopes never die :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom