The Mutual Funds Investment Thread

billubakra

Conversation Architect
For a beginner, What mutual funds would you guys suggest?

Secondly, what is the process to invest in Chinese,HongKong and American Stocks?
Dont invest in Chinese stocks, the laws are totally different plus someone can come on tv at 8pm and can call you an anti national.
For us many platforms are there, just avoid vested aka wasted.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I am thinking about starting SIP of Edelweiss Equity Savings Fund Direct Growth. Should I go ahead?

PS- this is my first time investing.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I am thinking about starting SIP of Edelweiss Equity Savings Fund Direct Growth. Should I go ahead?

PS- this is my first time investing.
I would say if you want to start, stick with the well known SIPS for now, just go for Nifty50 Direct Fund from any well known vendor (Nippon, Quant, ICICI Prudential, Kotak etc.). Research what is Exit Load and Expense ratio.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I would say if you want to start, stick with the well known SIPS for now, just go for Nifty50 Direct Fund from any well known vendor (Nippon, Quant, ICICI Prudential, Kotak etc.). Research what is Exit Load and Expense ratio.
Got it. Did some research, Going for ICICI Prudential Nifty 50 index Fund.

It has Expense ratio of 0.19% and exit load is nil.

One question arises, it is marked as Very High Risk, Anything I need to be aware about??

Nerevarine

Incarnate

One question arises, it is marked as Very High Risk, Anything I need to be aware about??
I advise you watch "Mutual Fund Guide" By LaborLawAdvisor in youtube, they seem to be "neutral" youtube channel compared to Akshat Shrivastava/Ankur Warikoo.

Watch the entire playlist, and then you should have some idea what mutual fund you should do. Dont rush anything, start slow and make consistent amount into SIPs.
Do your own research after watching it, then make the decision.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I advise you watch "Mutual Fund Guide" By LaborLawAdvisor in youtube, they seem to be "neutral" youtube channel compared to Akshat Shrivastava/Ankur Warikoo.

Watch the entire playlist, and then you should have some idea what mutual fund you should do. Dont rush anything, start slow and make consistent amount into SIPs.
Do your own research after watching it, then make the decision.
Ok. Any other good channels for beginners you would like to suggest??

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You can watch Ankur Warikoo/Akshat Shrivastava/CA Rachna Ranade but dont get influenced by how much you should invest and where. Just see their videos for their subject knowledge. For example: one important concept - Capital Gains Tax Harvesting.

They have repeatedly been caught promoting stuff that they get paid for.

shreeux

Movie Buff
You can watch Ankur Warikoo/Akshat Shrivastava/CA Rachna Ranade but dont get influenced by how much you should invest and where. Just see their videos for their subject knowledge. For example: one important concept - Capital Gains Tax Harvesting.

Like....

During the Gold Rush, most would-be miners lost money, but people who sold them picks, shovels, tents, and blue jeans made a nice profit. :smile:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

One question arises, it is marked as Very High Risk, Anything I need to be aware about
It's okay to start with a small amount. 1000 or so.

I am investing in three high risk funds but they appear stable. The stability is affected by market conditions though, so how stable a fund is depends on how good the fund manager is.

A good metric is to see how a fund performs in bad market conditions. Good funds will continue to grow even when the market is bad, or at least not affected as badly.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

5rs. ka makhan,
warikoo/srivastav etc. sab dhakkan

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I was thinking about INDmoney/
+ @Cyberghost
Wasted keeps on increasing charges, charges which you have never ever heard of, like every 3 months. Their app has too too many bugs. Customer support just sucks. Now they want you take a premium subscription to get their so called "priority" support. Two of its main founders have left the company. They eat up all the monthly interest that you get on the unused cash, it is very less but why would you want to have them? Between this option and indmoney, atleast indmoney is transparent. Otherwise just stick with schwab, ibkr etc. There is no minimums requirement with them also.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Expense ratio of uti, navi etc. is less than icici.
If you want safety then stick with fds and all.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
A good metric is to see how a fund performs in bad market conditions. Good funds will continue to grow even when the market is bad, or at least not affected as badly.
But usually an index fund will go down heavily, and all other funds, in an instance like covid. So, isn't that like not a good criteria to judge a fund?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, that risk is always there. Though technically you are investing for the long haul and the market will usually correct itself in that time. At least that's the hope.

Top Bottom