The Moto X 1st and 2nd Gen Discussion

$hadow

Geek in making
Even though i don't own a moto x, i helped my friend root it. I think it was 4.4.4. Followed this guide from xda. There will be data loss while unlocking bootloader though, plus no OTA updates.

This is the basic thing with rooting if the bootloader is locked so it will erase data on unlocking bootloader and no OTA is you are having a custom recovery.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even though i don't own a moto x, i helped my friend root it. I think it was 4.4.4. Followed this guide from xda. There will be data loss while unlocking bootloader though, plus no OTA updates.

You must have rooted an Android 4.4 device. There is no way to downgrade an 4.4.4 device back to lower version for rooting without serious risk. So looks like we are stuck for the moment.

Alien

Journeyman
You must have rooted an Android 4.4 device. There is no way to downgrade an 4.4.4 device back to lower version for rooting without serious risk. So looks like we are stuck for the moment.
There is no need to downgrade to root AFAIK.
Because you already have 4.4.4 on the phone, the only way to root it is to unlock the bootloader, install custom recovery, and root that way.
Quoting from a comment there on xda.

polupoka

In the zone
A bit more clarification.. He must have rooted the moto x 4.4.2 kitkat! 4.4.4 is still unrootable :( the first day i got my phone I updated it without knowing this helplessness! N about lollipop, no more hope now... Ayega... Laga lengey.. No craze left -_-

polupoka

In the zone
TOO frustrated to share source..last night I saw somewhere that MOTO E indonesia has started seeding lollipop..so all MOTO E may get lollipop under a week!
Also read that due to S4 pro motorola is facing problems to put in lollipop to MOTO X 1st gen..so it might take 3 weeks minimum to get lollipop for MOTO X 1st gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIME to DIE on SHAME! :( this 19th I should die on my 21st birthday :(

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
TOO frustrated to share source..last night I saw somewhere that MOTO E indonesia has started seeding lollipop..so all MOTO E may get lollipop under a week!
Also read that due to S4 pro motorola is facing problems to put in lollipop to MOTO X 1st gen..so it might take 3 weeks minimum to get lollipop for MOTO X 1st gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIME to DIE on SHAME! :( this 19th I should die on my 21st birthday :(

Well, that's really bad man. As for me, I am not really looking forward for lollipop anyway.
Grapes are sour. And so it should be it seems.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Motorola tweeted, "Moto X (1st Gen) will get L, but chipset requires more effort. We're working to deliver satisfactory experience, performance."

Moto E and Moto Maxx Android Lollipop update incoming: Moto X (2013) update not ready yet - AndroidPIT

$hadow

Geek in making
Lollipop looks good on the picture but there are a lot of corks if you are coming form kitkat. On nexus it is still poorly optimized.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
On Friday night I posted this out of frustration...

At this point, I say FU google/motorola.

To Motorola since delaying release of Lollipop for Moto X 1st gen, while providing lollipop to Moto E and Moto G.

To Google to bring out a sh!ty update in terms of Lollipop. It lags on Nexus 7 1st gen and is all white. Whoever have experienced lollipop says bad things about it. Since it looks so cartoonish. Including me. It's like XP's cartoonish looks. Probably it looks bad now, but probably people will get use to it.

But bring the god damn update to Moto X, and gimme a chance to root my device. :(

Little did I know what would follow for the rest of weekend for me. From Friday till now, I lost all my data of Moto X, tried hours to recover data and fail so many times. Became frustrated, shocked myself, felt sad and finally overcame all of it and now trying to turning it into valuable lesson learned for future.

So what actually happened... here is the little story that I think I need to get out.

We all know, how Motorola failed to provide update to 5.0 since many months now. And how 4.4.4 is the version where you can't root using usual method. So out of frustration I finally decided to get the unlock code from Motorola's website and use it to unlock the bootloader. Which I did. Just as I pressed enter after giving the command to unlock the bootloader, my jaw dropped in the next half of second. A feeling of helplessness came over me when I realized I didn't take backup, and unlocking bootloader is a destructible method that would reset the device. But I couldn't do anything. Had I tried to cancel the command (using Ctrl + C) I probably would have end with a bricked Moto X. So I had no choice to wait for few seconds and see the command destroying the data right in front of my eyes. Seconds pass (which felt like eternity). Device rebooted. Bootloader was unlocked. Data was gone.

The following saturday I remained in shock. Cursed myself the whole day. I have written articles on how to take backup of your Android. I very well knew that unlocking the bootloader formats the device. I have done it before with my previous phone (LG P500) and with Nexus 7. Then what came over me last night? How can I forget to take the backup? I felt so sad that I couldn't do anything on saturday. I tried to go out with my friend, to wander some places. But I didn't feel good.

But what's done was done. Now I could only try to recover the data. With hope in my mind and faith in technology, I decided to give recovery a try.

On the night of Saturday I did my research. Read lots of threads. Found a way to recover data on an XDA thread. The article said it's possible to recover data even from the device which don't support Mass Storage mode, by taking a dump of the internal memory in a RAW file and then using that VHD to recover data on PC. So I tried. I tried to take the backup till 3 am in the morning, until I crashed on bed with tiredness.

Following day, on Sunday I continued my venture. I had the RAW image of the internal memory. I tried various tools to recover any kind of data from the image. I tired Recuva, Stellar Pheonix Data Recovery and testdisk. All of them found bits and pieces of data. Thumbnails of a few images, but nothing substantial. I thought pics are gone for good. How about recovering the whatspp database file which have an unusual extension of "db.crypt". Testfile recovery tool had a provision to create custom signature of any file that I want to recover. Did that, but no result. Looked like luck wasn't on my favour, and finally I gave up.

This have been a great deal of learning experience for me. I learned:
1. How one act of impulse can have unintended repercussions
2. How important is to regularly have backups, possibly cloud backups.
3. How difficult is it to recover data once it's gone
4. How important is it to act fast once you "do" lose your data to create an image file.

Now I would accept my loss, will install the apps again, will try to restore whatever is on cloud, and setup cloud backup using OwnCloud, a technique that I should have thought about before messing with my device.

The last thing I have learned is you can NEVER be too careful.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So sad to hear that. U didn't turn on auto back up in google photos?

No I didn't. I always thought to have manual control over my stuff.

That's why it's always said that the weakest security link are 'humans'. Human like me. :(

singleindian

Journeyman
No I didn't. I always thought to have manual control over my stuff.

That's why it's always said that the weakest security link are 'humans'. Human like me. :(
Rookie mistake. How often u take backup copies of phone? Or u kept everything on phone and didn't take one ever?

polupoka

In the zone
On Friday night I posted this out of frustration...

Little did I know what would follow for the rest of weekend for me. From Friday till now, I lost all my data of Moto X, tried hours to recover data and fail so many times. Became frustrated, shocked myself, felt sad and finally overcame all of it and now trying to turning it into valuable lesson learned for future.

So what actually happened... here is the little story that I think I need to get out.

We all know, how Motorola failed to provide update to 5.0 since many months now. And how 4.4.4 is the version where you can't root using usual method. So out of frustration I finally decided to get the unlock code from Motorola's website and use it to unlock the bootloader. Which I did. Just as I pressed enter after giving the command to unlock the bootloader, my jaw dropped in the next half of second. A feeling of helplessness came over me when I realized I didn't take backup, and unlocking bootloader is a destructible method that would reset the device. But I couldn't do anything. Had I tried to cancel the command (using Ctrl + C) I probably would have end with a bricked Moto X. So I had no choice to wait for few seconds and see the command destroying the data right in front of my eyes. Seconds pass (which felt like eternity). Device rebooted. Bootloader was unlocked. Data was gone.

The following saturday I remained in shock. Cursed myself the whole day. I have written articles on how to take backup of your Android. I very well knew that unlocking the bootloader formats the device. I have done it before with my previous phone (LG P500) and with Nexus 7. Then what came over me last night? How can I forget to take the backup? I felt so sad that I couldn't do anything on saturday. I tried to go out with my friend, to wander some places. But I didn't feel good.

But what's done was done. Now I could only try to recover the data. With hope in my mind and faith in technology, I decided to give recovery a try.

On the night of Saturday I did my research. Read lots of threads. Found a way to recover data on an XDA thread. The article said it's possible to recover data even from the device which don't support Mass Storage mode, by taking a dump of the internal memory in a RAW file and then using that VHD to recover data on PC. So I tried. I tried to take the backup till 3 am in the morning, until I crashed on bed with tiredness.

Following day, on Sunday I continued my venture. I had the RAW image of the internal memory. I tried various tools to recover any kind of data from the image. I tired Recuva, Stellar Pheonix Data Recovery and testdisk. All of them found bits and pieces of data. Thumbnails of a few images, but nothing substantial. I thought pics are gone for good. How about recovering the whatspp database file which have an unusual extension of "db.crypt". Testfile recovery tool had a provision to create custom signature of any file that I want to recover. Did that, but no result. Looked like luck wasn't on my favour, and finally I gave up.

This have been a great deal of learning experience for me. I learned:
1. How one act of impulse can have unintended repercussions
2. How important is to regularly have backups, possibly cloud backups.
3. How difficult is it to recover data once it's gone
4. How important is it to act fast once you "do" loose your data to create an image file.

Now I would accept my loss, will install the apps again, will try to restore whatever is on cloud, and setup cloud backup using OwnCloud, a technique that I should have thought about before messing with my device.

The last thing I have learned is you can NEVER be too careful.
Thats sad ! learned from ur mistake! btw moto said that moto x,E(both 1st gen) n moto G(4G) would skip 5.0 and directly upgraded to 5.1.. but when?? when 5.2 is available???

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Rookie mistake. How often u take backup copies of phone? Or u kept everything on phone and didn't take one ever?
I kept everything on phone. But use to keep moving big files like videos and pics of trips outside station to PC. So what I lost are some casual pics taken over two months and the whatsapp conversation since I last changed the phone to Moto X. (I have the whatsapp database taken while migrating to Moto X, which means over 6 months of chat history loss.

Thats sad ! learned from ur mistake! btw moto said that moto x,E(both 1st gen) n moto G(4G) would skip 5.0 and directly upgraded to 5.1.. but when?? when 5.2 is available???

I don't care about OTA anymore. Now bootloader of my device is unlocked and device is now rooted. I am trying to flash CM 12 now. Which would mean Android 5.0.2. Update to this official cyanogenmod is also available as 5.1 but that's unofficial. Only con of CM 12 seems to be battery life right now, but feature wise it would be a blast.
Let them OTA come whenever it would. (sources say 'anytime now' to 'few days'). F*** the sources.

Time to unleash the power within Moto X. :D

singleindian

Journeyman
I kept everything on phone. But use to keep moving big files like videos and pics of trips outside station to PC. So what I lost are some casual pics taken over two months and the whatsapp conversation since I last changed the phone to Moto X. (I have the whatsapp database taken while migrating to Moto X, which means over 6 months of chat history loss.

I don't care about OTA anymore. Now bootloader of my device is unlocked and device is now rooted. I am trying to flash CM 12 now. Which would mean Android 5.0.2. Update to this official cyanogenmod is also available as 5.1 but that's unofficial. Only con of CM 12 seems to be battery life right now, but feature wise it would be a blast.
Let them OTA come whenever it would. (sources say 'anytime now' to 'few days'). F*** the sources.

Time to unleash the power within Moto X. :D
What about WhatsApp Web? I never used it. If u didn't delete it, then the chats should be available in the Web client, isn't it!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
What about WhatsApp Web? I never used it. If u didn't delete it, then the chats should be available in the Web client, isn't it!

That's the thing with WhatsApp. Neither they store data on cloud (they must do for NSA, not for us), neither they have a proper PC client in place. The web client that you are talking about doesn't store anything on PC. Rather it works 'via' the phone. So till the time WhatsApp is running on your phone, you can access it via web on PC. Sucks isn't it?

Anyway, I managed to install CM12 by the process given on this thread. The process includes installing CM11 first, since for some reason if you flash CM12 directly it will result in bootloop. So I installed CM11 first, then CM12 and now I have to install GAPPS. Some screenshots:

*i.imgur.com/g7BqYRo.png

imgur album: Moto X Lollipop - Album on Imgur

Finally on Lollipop. The animations are fluid, it isn't half as bad I initially thought. The lag on Nexus 7 made a very bad impression of Lollipop on me. Now only thing to do is to find dark theme.

polupoka

In the zone
That's the thing with WhatsApp. Neither they store data on cloud (they must do for NSA, not for us), neither they have a proper PC client in place. The web client that you are talking about doesn't store anything on PC. Rather it works 'via' the phone. So till the time WhatsApp is running on your phone, you can access it via web on PC. Sucks isn't it?

Anyway, I managed to install CM12 by the process given on this thread. The process includes installing CM11 first, since for some reason if you flash CM12 directly it will result in bootloop. So I installed CM11 first, then CM12 and now I have to install GAPPS. Some screenshots:

*i.imgur.com/g7BqYRo.png

imgur album: Moto X Lollipop - Album on Imgur

Finally on Lollipop. The animations are fluid, it isn't half as bad I initially thought. The lag on Nexus 7 made a very bad impression of Lollipop on me. Now only thing to do is to find dark theme.

TeMpTinG!!!! N ya ***k the sources! I play contest of champions daily ..thats the reason m not complaining to moto about lollipop :p

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
TeMpTinG!!!! N ya ***k the sources! I play contest of champions daily ..thats the reason m not complaining to moto about lollipop :p

What is "contest of champions"?
And you should complain. :/

Nexus 7 2012 is still suffering from a lag in nearly all the major sections.

Yes, Lollipop on N7 feels too laggy. But on Moto X it's buttery smooth.
Liking the new kind of Active Display now. Notifications are shown on lock screen just like actual notifications on "pull down menu", not just icons like it was use to before. Host of new features of Cyanogenmod have arrive too. Small compass is built in the pull down settings menu, so is the torch. And "Toggle data" button shows used MB for quick reference.

Tip of the ice berg though. Lots of features now! :D

Top Bottom