The Laptop for creators

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't remember any gaming laptop with amd card in 60-70k+ price range launched in India in last 1-2 years. As far as I remember RX560X was the limit for amd card gaming laptops in India.
That's because AMD didn't make "mobile" variants of higher polaris GPUs and the highest end was RX 580 (in few Asus laptops) which came with desktop CPUs, not exactly good for laptop form factor.

So I came across the new Dell G5 15/ 15 SE laptops. Any suggestions on this?
The laptop houses Ryzen R7 CPU and a Radeon GPU.
Doesn't matter much if it isn't launched here. Also considering how Dell overprices their laptops in India, I'm sure it will be expensive compared to the competition. The GPU can compete with 1660Ti, not 2060. Say R5 4600H + 5600M at even 85k will be a great deal for India. I feel Asus & Acer will give us the VFM options as usual. Asus already has A15 lineup. Acer is yet to update Nitro 5.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
Doesn't matter much if it isn't launched here. Also considering how Dell overprices their laptops in India, I'm sure it will be expensive compared to the competition. The GPU can compete with 1660Ti, not 2060. Say R5 4600H + 5600M at even 85k will be a great deal for India. I feel Asus & Acer will give us the VFM options as usual. Asus already has A15 lineup. Acer is yet to update Nitro 5.
So I checked and apparently Dell launched the R5 variant for around 70k. And for the R7 variant it was around 87k. These prices are as per current US launch price.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I checked and apparently Dell launched the R5 variant for around 70k. And for the R7 variant it was around 87k. These prices are as per current US launch price.
Indian prices for similar laptop models are almost always at least 20-30% more than US prices.

Don't dream. No way they will be launched at converted price. General calculation is $1 = ₹100 for electronics because of duties (maybe 30%) & tax (18%).

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
It seems expensive for higher end models. It has a bad display for price.
That is true. Apparently waiting few more months might bring something good in the market.On the other hand I am thinking about going full AMD, let's wait till the G5 is launched.

That is true. Apparently waiting few more months might bring something good in the market.On the other hand I am thinking about going full AMD, let's wait till the G5 is launched.
Right now, Asus enjoys no competition as no one else launched Ryzen 4000 powered laptops in India. Hence the higher price. I'm expecting price cuts when competition arrives. Nvidia has cut prices for their GPUs as well, so I'm really expecting 1660Ti at a cheaper price, maybe R5 4600H + 1660Ti at 80k with A15 seems good.

For entry-level model, A15 with R5 4600H + 1650Ti + 144Hz is priced at 71k, its price cut to even 65k would be a good deal. Surely lower the better.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
Right now, Asus enjoys no competition as no one else launched Ryzen 4000 powered laptops in India. Hence the higher price. I'm expecting price cuts when competition arrives. Nvidia has cut prices for their GPUs as well, so I'm really expecting 1660Ti at a cheaper price, maybe R5 4600H + 1660Ti at 80k with A15 seems good.

For entry-level model, A15 with R5 4600H + 1650Ti + 144Hz is priced at 71k, its price cut to even 65k would be a good deal. Surely lower the better.
What I was planning is to get an R7 with 1660, 8 GB ram (will upgrade on my own), and 512 gb ssd build (adding an hdd later on). I do not have extensive gaming usages but again the color accuracy is not that great for the A15 which I definitely do need. Also the TUF series has always been costlier than other series from Asus due to the acclaimed added durability. Let's see what Lenovo has to offer, heard they will be releasing the Legion 5 in September. Don't see great options with HP and I am praying for Dell to not go super with the G5's price, like they always do.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also the TUF series has always been costlier than other series from Asus due to the acclaimed added durability.
@omega44-xt may better comment on this in laptop segment but as far as mobos & graphics cards are concerned I can tell you that asus tuf series got some of the worst models(both in performance & build quality) in past 2-3 years.

@omega44-xt may better comment on this in laptop segment but as far as mobos & graphics cards are concerned I can tell you that asus tuf series got some of the worst models(both in performance & build quality) in past 2-3 years.
It is a cheap entry-level laptop, so surely quality isn't as good as mid-range ones like Lenovo Y540. Its comparable to Acer Nitro 5 & HP Pavilion gaming, definitely a better choice than Lenovo L340.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a cheap entry-level laptop, so surely quality isn't as good as mid-range ones like Lenovo Y540. Its comparable to Acer Nitro 5 & HP Pavilion gaming, definitely a better choice than Lenovo L340.
So basically nothing that justifies the fancy "TUF" branding unlike "STRIX" which at least has lots of rgb. :lol:

What I was planning is to get an R7 with 1660, 8 GB ram (will upgrade on my own), and 512 gb ssd build (adding an hdd later on). I do not have extensive gaming usages but again the color accuracy is not that great for the A15 which I definitely do need. Also the TUF series has always been costlier than other series from Asus due to the acclaimed added durability. Let's see what Lenovo has to offer, heard they will be releasing the Legion 5 in September. Don't see great options with HP and I am praying for Dell to not go super with the G5's price, like they always do.
ROG is higher priced in Asus lineup of gaming laptops. As I said earlier, TUF is entry-level. I think the "durability" claims are marketing BS.

If you go for TUF or even Dell G5 SE (which will have an average display, similar quality likely), you can hook up an external monitor, if possible.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "durability" claims are marketing BS IMO
Yes but at least even there they could have make some efforts like Strix which may or may not have the best build quality in its price range but it always has lots of rgb to at least make it look different. This is of course assuming asus doesn't make TUF series exclusively in certain military camouflage like colour design(I think some earlier asus B350 tuf mobos were like this) which can somewhat explain the "TUF" branding. :lol:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Asus disappointed me. TUF series is supposed to be cheaper option to ROG series. :(
They tweeted starting price to be ~60k but launched at ~72k. :facepalm:
17.3" variant doesn't have 144Hz or RTX 2060 option.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
Asus disappointed me. TUF series is supposed to be cheaper option to ROG series. :(
They tweeted starting price to be ~60k but launched at ~72k. :facepalm:
17.3" variant doesn't have 144Hz or RTX 2060 option.
The 17" variant does not even have the option to opt for the R9, unlike the 15" variant. Also the prices were not as expected.
It's very critical time for us laptop buyers, we saw many entries from many manufacturers, now we wait for Lenovo to releas the Legion 5 and I hope it's better.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
Also Lenovo only provides the 1650 TI as graphics processor option for the Legion 5. So practically worse than Asus on price point.

Top Bottom