The Laptop for creators

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I think I will go with Legion Y540-15IRH-PG0, made some modifications to the specs like 16 GBs of RAM, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, 512 GBs SSD M.2 2280.
I hope this will be a good selection. Also please suggest something better if you have any in mind.
Almost every Ryzen 4000 series laptop is supposed to be cheaper and better than Intel counterparts as evident by global prices.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost every Ryzen 4000 series laptop is supposed to be cheaper and better than Intel counterparts as evident by global prices.
But how long you think it will take for them to come to India as i think even ryzen 3500u laptop took quite a time to launch here & even then their availability was & still not so good.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
But how long you think it will take for them to come to India as i think even ryzen 3500u laptop took quite a time to launch here & even then their availability was & still not so good.
That is true. And I am not even sure if we are going to get any Ryzen 4000 Series this year.

Also I am not sure if getting the Y540 2060 model will do me any good as I am not going to use the laptop for any extensive gaming and I can use the extra money to upgrade my current graphic tablet (BTW I am currently using a WACOM Intuos).

But again, I will welcome any suggestion over this.

I think I will go with Legion Y540-15IRH-PG0, made some modifications to the specs like 16 GBs of RAM, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, 512 GBs SSD M.2 2280.
I hope this will be a good selection. Also please suggest something better if you have any in mind.
Modifying in manufacturer website is usually pretty expensive, but if you can't do it on your own, that is the way.

*www.flipkart.com/acer-predator-hel...h317-53-77ux-gaming-laptop/p/itmfb69f6eae0fc2

@omega44-xt Above comes with 1660Ti while lenovo Y540 with RTX2060 model I suggested earlier cost ~8k more.
2060 80W is not even 10% better than 1660Ti 80W. Even at full performance of my laptop, my friend's Helios 300 runs similar to my laptop with GPU OC. If Helios 300 goes on sale, it will surely be much cheaper for the 1660Ti variant. If not, Y540 is definitely good.

But i7 Helios 300 is surely expensive right now considering the i5 variant is at 90k.

That is true. And I am not even sure if we are going to get any Ryzen 4000 Series this year.

Also I am not sure if getting the Y540 2060 model will do me any good as I am not going to use the laptop for any extensive gaming and I can use the extra money to upgrade my current graphic tablet (BTW I am currently using a WACOM Intuos).

But again, I will welcome any suggestion over this.
My estimate is a month or two for new laptops, even Intel's 10th gen is out. So older laptops will go on sale. But right not only Asus launched a lot of Ryzen laptops in US, other companies are yet to give AMD as a proper option rather than budget one. There were rumours of Intel bribing companies to not pair AMD CPUs with higher end GPU like 1660Ti or better. There are very few laptops with Ryzen 4000 + 1660Ti or 2060, right now, maybe no laptop with 2070 & 2080.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
2060 80W is not even 10% better than 1660Ti 80W. Even at full performance of my laptop, my friend's Helios 300 runs similar to my laptop with GPU OC. If Helios 300 goes on sale, it will surely be much cheaper for the 1660Ti variant. If not, Y540 is definitely good.

But i7 Helios 300 is surely expensive right now considering the i5 variant is at 90k.
You mean Y540 1660Ti version which is much cheaper than current Helios 300 1660Ti version?

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
You mean Y540 1660Ti version which is much cheaper than current Helios 300 1660Ti version?
I think he did. I had my chance to run both the machines before lockdown started and I think Y540 was more stable than Helios 300. I mean you can literally hear Helios's fans when they start to throttle. Though it stays cool but the noise is bit weird when you are paying that much. BTW I ran 3D mark on both the devices. Also running games on both the machine clearly showed that the load on the CPU was higher on Helios 300 than what was on Y540.

Last edited:
I think he did. I had my chance to run both the machines before lockdown started and I think Y540 was more stable than Helios 300. I mean you can literally hear Helios's fans when they start to throttle. Though it stays cool but the noise is bit weird when you are paying that much. BTW I ran 3D mark on both the devices. Also running games on both the machine clearly showed that the load on the CPU was higher on Helios 300 than what was on Y540.
Sadly Intel is to be blamed for hot CPUs for which you need a good thermal system, which usually means louder fans. Use a headphone, thank me later.

Helios 300 has one of the best thermals in a 15.6" laptop right now. Moreover, it pushes 55W to CPU in turbo mode vs Intel's 45W TDP or 35W set by some manufacturers. Maybe that's why higher load on Helios, or case of a better-binned CPU in Y540 resulting in similar performance for lower voltage. Need much more data to give a conclusion.

Check Jarrod Tech's reviews & comparison.

Last edited:
OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
Sadly Intel is to be blamed for hot CPUs for which you need a good thermal system, which usually means louder fans. Use a headphone, thank me later.

Helios 300 has one of the best thermals in a 15.6" laptop right now. Moreover, it pushes 55W to CPU in turbo mode vs Intel's 45W TDP or 35W set by some manufacturers. Maybe that's why higher load on Helios, or case of a better-binned CPU in Y540 resulting in similar performance for lower voltage. Need much more data to give a conclusion.

Check Jarrod Tech's reviews & comparison.
I think it would be better if I wait till September, I might get to see the new Legion Machines with 4800s.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it would be better if I wait till September, I might get to see the new Legion Machines with 4800s.
Then wait till Oct because you won't get cheaper price than biggest sale of the year aka oct sale of flipkart(big billion) & amazon(great Indian shopping).

That's a powerful suggestion, but I need more power (number of threads actually) so I will probably go with a machine housing an R7 4800H processor
Would be great to get R7 4800H + 1660Ti for under 1 lakh. Remember that R5 4600H is like 10-20% better than i7 9750H/10750H, so not a slow CPU, performs similar to desktop R5 2600X.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
So I came across the new Dell G5 15/ 15 SE laptops. Any suggestions on this?
The laptop houses Ryzen R7 CPU and a Radeon GPU.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
4th gen Ryzen mobile is a defining moment for AMD, would suggest waiting for that.
Its like the jump between 1st gen intel i series to 2nd gen.

OP
P

Prashant97

Broken In
4th gen Ryzen mobile is a defining moment for AMD, would suggest waiting for that.
Its like the jump between 1st gen intel i series to 2nd gen.
Yep, definitely looking forward for the G5 15 SE. It is way cheaper than any 2060 gaming laptop in the market and surpassed nearly all of them.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Yep, definitely looking forward for the G5 15 SE. It is way cheaper than any 2060 gaming laptop in the market and surpassed nearly all of them.
*www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-...Radeon-RX-5600M_9611_9581_10054.247598.0.html
Nah, 2060 90W and refreshed 115W 2060 are still better. But, if that 5600M laptop is considerably cheaper, say at around 70k, then it would make no sense to go for anything priced higher just for raw performance.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But, if that 5600M laptop is considerably cheaper, say at around 70k, then it would make no sense to go for anything priced higher just for raw performance.
I don't remember any gaming laptop with amd card in 60-70k+ price range launched in India in last 1-2 years. As far as I remember RX560X was the limit for amd card gaming laptops in India.

Top Bottom