System not installing any OS

One of my friends have a Toshiba laptop Satellite Pro C650, and it was installed with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. A few days back, there was a problem with the system, where, the system hanged when the Starting Windows screen appeared. After a few days the system, just crashed, and I my friend did a Windows recovery. After that the computer was running smoothly. After a few days again, the system again began giving the same problem, and then the system crashed. So I recommended that he format his computer and do a clean installation of Windows.

So, when he began the installation process of Windows 7 32-bit, the system again, freezed at “Setup is Starting” screen. Again, he tried it after restating the system, and again the system freezed, at “Setup is Starting”. I tried, to install from various media, but the screen froze, at there. I tried a mem test, and no hardware errors were found. Even I tried installing Ubuntu 10.04, and the system froze while it was loading the files, and a boot prompt came, and nothing happened. I tried with Ubuntu 10.10, and Kubuntu 10.04, and the same result.

Please advice what should I do.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Looks like a hardware error.
Are you sure RAM is ok? Have you tried another stick of RAM?
Also make sure, there is proper cooling. i.e, heat sink is working properly.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the Windows 7 pre-installed or you have installed it separately?

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
First of all, if I try to open the RAM sticks, I will void warranty.

Secondly, the temperatures are perfectly fine, and the heat sink is working properly.

Windows 7 was pre-installed.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
If possible do a startup repair. Otherwise OEMs generally have a hidden partition for OS recovery, go through the manual, and launch the recovery/reinstall process through it.

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
I have already wiped my HDD, clean, and when I try to boot from my HDD, it display a message that BOOTMGR not found, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, to restart. It is because I have no OS on my HDD.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all, if I try to open the RAM sticks, I will void warranty.
Secondly, the temperatures are perfectly fine, and the heat sink is working properly.
Windows 7 was pre-installed.

I failed to realize it was a laptop. :oops:
I recommend you take the laptop to service, since it's under warranty, and most probably this is a hardware issue (confirmed by the fact, that no OS including Linux is able to install).

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
Yeah, that is what I feel too, I have also advised my friend to take it to service center. Tried, different OS, and all failed to install! Have any of you faced any such problem earlier?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recently faced such problem when while installing LibreOffice the system hangs and a cold boot just keep on showing the OS (Vista) failed to start screen. I tried startup repair from the boot menu a couple of times, it just hanged. Tried Ubuntu Live CD - it started up after 3-4 tries but failed to recognize the HDD. Then tried a separate Vista disk (not the one that comes with the Lappy). It hangs a couple of times, then finally allow me to select Startup Repair, but couldn't do a system restore as the HDD was not recognized. Just out of desperation tried the auto startup repair option and it worked.

Only problem is that during booting sometimes chkdisk start checking the hidden recovery partition and reports some corrupt MFT, but otherwise the system is working flawlessly.

I have Sony VAIO btw.

In your case as you have already wiped the HDD, so its better to take it to the service center and get the OS installed. They might find some other problems also.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Take it to the Sevice Center for RMA
Allied Digital Services Ltd. (C/O Digicomp Services LtdBack to Available Service Center List Company Name: Allied Digital Services Ltd. (C/O Digicomp Services Ltd Rating:
Address: 1st Floor , 49B C. R . Avenue
Opp. Jogajog Bhaban Main Phone: +91-33-40077906
City: Kolkata Toll-Free:
State/Province: Fax:
Mail Code: 700012 Email: kolkata@digicompindia.com

Company Name: inTarvo Technologies Limited Rating:
Address: 2 Ripon Street ,Mezzanine Floor Main Phone: +91-33-22277891/92/93
City: Kolkata Toll-Free:
State/Province: Fax:
Mail Code: 700016 Email: pc.kolkatta@intarvo.com

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
Guys after some, hard effort, I finally booted into the system, and guess what Linux(Kubuntu 10.04 LTS) could not even recognise the HDD. I suspect that there is a bad sector error, and referred to get an RMA. Lets see what happens, and will let you all posted.

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
Guys, kept my friends laptop running for 12 hours, with the Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) Installation Disc, and finally, it started to install the OS. Now guess, what I went out for 3 hours, and came back to see, that the main power had been shut down by someone, and the laptop naturally ran out of juice.

Got to sit it with again, just so frustrating!

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patience is the key, but I sympathize with you, I have been through this a couple of times. And what happened to taking it to Service Center, RMA etc.?

Top Bottom