System not booting up!

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Apologies if I am not posting in the correct section.

So, I gave off my old motherboard and processor to my cousin and guess what, he screwed up big time :banghead: While installing processor heat sink, he applied too much thermal paste which slowly overflowed beyond the processor metal cap and onto these connectors:

INTEL-I-5-6600-1-800x800.jpg

He eventually came to know about this when the system stopped booting all of a sudden. So he did try turning it on multiple times before checking up the hardware. Then he cleaned all this paste but now system doesn't boot. Motherboard, fan etc. everything turns on but doesn't boot and there is no life in the HDD activity led at all.
Is the processor gone? He swears that the paste didn't overflow anywhere on the motherboard socket but I don't trust him on this :|
Can something be done?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Does the thermal paste used is electrically conductive? The ones from the local market are not.

Troubleshoot one by one. If you have any other compatible cpu/motherboard, try with them.
If you think it's the processor, remove heatsink from the cpu and place your finger on top of cpu and turn on. If it heats up, then it's not CPU. Don't run it long, just for 2-5 seconds. As soon as you feel the heat, turn off the power. Even if you don't feel heat, turn off power after 5 seconds.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Thanks @nac
so, a lot happened over this weekend.
Took motherboard and processor to Nehru place for a checkup, as we didn't have extra components to check the system. Found out that both are absolutely working fine! I was surprised that both components were able to endure this much stress. Then we finally found that his PSU (VS550) went kaput. The processor shorted due to additional thermal paste which somehow killed the PSU via motherboard. But processor and motherboard survived the short. As all other components were still powering up just fine (fans, LED's etc), we couldn't make it out earlier that the PSU is problematic. There is a fancy LED on the motherboard which wasn't powering on, which I noticed later, and made me think that probably its the PSU.

To save my cousin from beating by his father, I've given my VS450 to him now. I've bought a CX550 (costed 4.6k) for myself to decided to take my motherboard and processor back from him as a punishment and all this trouble.
I've dropped the idea of buying a new mobo + proc for now (Need new motherboard and Processor), and will rock this old baby up for some more time!

Reactions: nac

TheSloth

The Slowest One
i5 6600 is good enough to last you a year or two so no issue.

@Nerevarine that is pretty common in Delhi-NCR/North India where motto is "spare the rod, spoil the child" .
Beating child for any kind of mistake is common in whole India. That's quick and easy solution which is supposed to be most effective to all the Indian parents.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
it was an accident and he'd get beating ? This is ridiculous..

lol yes. He is just a college student and was planning to change the components without telling his father. It's a family pc which his father also uses for some business work so he surely would have whoop his a** after seeing a dead PSU.
Its definitely big enough reason to get beaten lol.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol yes. He is just a college student and was planning to change the components without telling his father. It's a family pc which his father also uses for some business work so he surely would have whoop his a** after seeing a dead PSU.
Its definitely big enough reason to get beaten lol.

Pardon my intrusion but the PSU went bad because the internals of it just gave up - your cousin applying too muck TiM on processor has nothing to do with killing the PSU. It was just a coincidence and if the PSU is under warranty just RMA it. I hope your cousin can be spared from a beating.

Top Bottom