System not booting through DVD drive

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
First of all here are my system's specifications-:
i5 2500K (running at stock speed right now)
ASUS p8z77-m
Gskill ripjawsx 1600 Mhz DDR3 (4Gb x 2 = 8 GB)
Seasonic s12II 620w
running on onboard GPU
2 Seagate HDDs
Sony DVD writer

now since i had to ship my gtx 560 to a buyer so i disconnected it. Did a bit of cleaning inside the cabinet with blower(please note that I did not disconnect any component except the RAM while cleaning). Connected RAM and everything and connected monitor to the onboard GPU. At first it did not boot and restarted 2-3 times by itself so i opened my cabinet again and restarted it again and saw that DRAM_LED was lit continously. I took out ASUS's manual and it said that continuously lit DRAM_LED meant that either the ram was not in its slot properly or it was not compatible with the motherboard. Since i have been using this same RAM modules for last 3-4 months on this very same motherboard so I knew it was not compatibility issue but in any case I pressed the memok button. It still did not boot so i reseated one RAM module at a time. With 1 RAM module it booted so I inserted the second module and it booted without any problem with both modules at their proper slot. Because of all this restarting so many times or for whatever reason windows 7 got corrupted and wont start. I tried to run its recovery software but it could not solve the problem. then i thought there was no other way but to reinstall windows but to my amazement it won't boot through DVD drive at all. Just yesterday my DVD drive was fine. I restarted and went into bios to see if it was detecting every hardware or not. Everything looks ok on bios. As the last resort i updated bios though i doubted it would solve anything. Well it didn't. Now as soon as windows startup screen of windows come there is BSOD and it just restarts.

In nutshell my problem is this-
1) Bios is detecting every hardware correctly and everything seems to be working fine.
2) Booting with DVD drive is just not working. I doubt that DVD drive might be the culprit but i wanted to be sure if i could have messed up something. I doubt it coz bios shows everything to be under control. I did not touch any component except for the RAM while cleaning. I have tried connecting DVD drive to different SATA port but it still won't work. Can there be any other problem or is it just the faulty DVD writer which miraculously went kaput overnight. I would like to mention that BIOS is still detecting the DVD drive with its proper ID.
3) I would also like to mention that whenever there is a DVD inside the drive even entering into BIOS takes about 20 seconds. As soon as i take out the DVD from the drive it instantly enters the BIOS.

I know it's a lenghty post but i wanted to explain my every action properly. Please advise what needs to be done.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Try some of the following:
Check drives data and power cables.
Check if boot from drive is enabled.
Reset bios and boot from drive using F8.
If you can arrange it, check with another optical drive.

Send drive for repairing and boot with usb drive.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
1) Checked all the cables and everything seems to be properly connected.
2)Boot drive priority is set correctly with DVD drive at No. 1 . I also tried disabling the other bootable drive to keep DVD drive as the only bootable drive and i got the message that either the device is not properly working or the Media inside the drive is not bootable.
3) Everything has been set to default and when even that didnt work i flashed a new bios. bios got successfully updated but still no response from the DVD drive. When I do f8 I get 2 options
i) Start windows startup recovery process(done this and it did not help at all)
ii) Start windows normally(If i do this all i get is a BSOD and then it just restarts)
4) Unfortunately I don't have any spare DVD drive to do that.

How do you boot with USB drive? Never done that so don't know anything about it.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Did you try switching the drive's cables ? Try another set.

How do you boot with USB drive? Never done that so don't know anything about it.
Read about it here.

Microsoft Store Online
Enable 'boot from usb device' in bios.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Will give it a try and report back here. But what i dont understand is if the data cable was faulty then how come is it being recognized in the BIOS correctly? From your suggestions should i assume that you also suspect the culprit to be DVD drive only?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I dont know if u have missed this or am I too lame to think about it but, can you check if you have created a bootable Windows disk or not (or is it just a dump of Windows installer). Hope you are not trying to boot the OS using a recovery disk (generally laptops get recovery disks of the OS that they are installed with)

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for replying.

It is a bootable disk as I have installed Win 7 from it before.

EDIT: Issue resolved! Can't believe it was such a trivial issue. Apparently I had installed windows 7 in IDE mode and since after setting everything to default the mode was changed to AHCI so it wasn't booting. I just didn't think of it because I did not think of myself to be stupid enough to install windows in IDE mode. Well as it turns out, I was that stupid. Btw it looks like the DVD drive has gone kaput afterall. It is showing in my list of drives but it is not being able to read any disc at all. I have tried atleast 20 discs by now.

Mods please close the thread.

Last edited:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
lol.
Atleast we know what the problem was :p

This thread would serve well for those in the similar situation.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I really hope it does. Mext time atleast I would take extra care to first look at IDE and SATA settings before i try anything else.

Top Bottom