Sun VirtualBox help

prttal

Broken In
I want to try out OpenSolaris and so I downloaded Virtualbox but I have only 512 MB of RAM on my PC which runs on an AMD Athlon XP. So can anybody suggest me a lighter version of it which uses either GNOME or KDE not any other desktop manager.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Better to burn a CD/DVD and boor from that instead of VirtualBox, as your RAM is too low. ;)

512 mb is very less for running virtual machine like opensolaris. Instead, use it live or install it on HDD

Last edited:
OP
prttal

prttal

Broken In
But I found an Ubuntu light distribution called XUbuntu. It works on RAM less than 192 Mb.

yup, Lubuntu is rahter more light :) but to run Host you need 200 mb atleast (XP or Ubuntu is considered). then Vbox needs 80mb atleast to run all its services and its network manager and other things. Then your Guest OS will need 200mb (approx) Total comes upto 480mb and you have 512mb. Seems to me a risky thing prone to crash as in Xp you will have Av program with Realtime shield taking immediate cpu cycles when Vbox will be running. If a firewall is there, its hell impossible. Rest upto you.

Top Bottom