Suggestions for Mobo, HDD and Graphics Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen44

Right off the assembly line
Hi.

I currently own a VIA PM800 based Mercury Mobo with P4 3 Ghz LGA775. And I have a ATA HDD and a SATA HDD. Now the queries are:

1. This mobo has decent onboard graphics. I predominantly play games like GTA series, NFS series and Cricket. As of now, onboard graphics gives me decent playability at medium settings (1024x768 at 32 bit 75 Hz No AF No AA) . Now the question is really about whether I should upgrade. I am eyeing on a 6600 GT card and want to know whether its worth the upgrade for my use. (I hate playing system-hungry games like quake, doom, farcry and any FPS except serious sam). SHOULD I UPGRADE?

2. The ATA HDD is a Samsung 80 GB one 2yrs old. Recently, I hear strange noises like huge whirs and constant sirening. But as of now, there is no problem with using it. Does the sounds mean the end of the road for the HDD.

3. And the Mobo, I mentioned is one of the lowest performing ones for P4. But with regards to my use, I find it stable enough. It supports only single channel DDR. and does not have any of the fancy features of the latest boards. People who have switched from single channel DDR to dual channel DDR2, have you found any significant difference???

PS: I really dont know in which section of the forum I had to put this question...

delhibhai1000

Journeyman
if u r gettin a good deal on d 6600GT, then get it! it shud b worth d upgrade & shud complement ur rig well.Current Mkt price is ~9k. abt ur HDD,if its gonna die;its gonna die.U cant do much abt it! DDR2 is BAD.&COSTLY.stay away from it.try2get a Dual channel DDR mobo tho..

jay4u

In the zone
go for dual channel dude.. it give a slight notable (not much) difference.... and also if possible change the mobo first and then go for buying the card....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom