Suggestions for a 50" Tv

Minion

Conversation Architect
I was doing some reading, and from what I understand, the Active HDR on the affordable LG UHD tvs is not real HDR. They dont have the brightness or the wide color gamut to show HDR content. It basically means the TV will accept HDR10/HLG input and play it in SDR with some processing which LG claims makes it better than SDR (not as good as HDR)..

Not sure how that is different to Sony hyping Triluminous.

Please correct me if I am wrong there.

Agree about the HEVC support and playing back 4k content in the future.

4k isnt a selling point for me (49" viewing from 8-10ft). HDR would have been (even though I might not use it all the time, it is going to be more noticeable when I do use it).. but If I cant get real HDR, I'll just go for a better panel..

Will definitely look at the LG you suggested and see how the display looks compared to the Sony.

Also, is Sammy totally out of the picture.. I noticed no one has recommended a Samsung TV. Of the newer models, The M5570/MU6100 look good (glancing at the spec sheet)

See what Active HDR means through this official LG video

Sony triluminous is junk it just uses some kind to filter to saturate colors.As per LG it can convert non HDR to to HDR.

Dude get a 4k now its well within your budget to make your buy future proof.

Samsung is very expensive not really value for money if you get a Samsung within your budget you will have to sacrifice lot on feature.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Thanks @Minion

We would need HDR content to make use of HDR feature in TV, right ?
Yes,but some TVs can convert non HDR to HDR through processing

In Simple Terms HDR=More details but obviously it needs HDR content.
HDR certified=Better colours,contrast and brightness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom