Suggestion for PSU

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hi,

I am planning to upgrade to an R7 3600 processor soon with an Asus TUF X570 mobo. Will reuse my 1050Ti, 1 SATA SSD, 2HDDs and would buy an M.2 SSD. I might overclock in the future but I've found that (in my last two builds) by the time I really need to overclock, my Mobo is in shambles and I dare not push it further.

My current PSU, a Corsair VX450 is working fine but it's more than 11 years old. As per wattage computations available online (379W as per seasonic), this seems to be sufficient . However, I'd like to get your opinion on the current crop of PSUs. Depending on the cost, I'll either go for it now or later.

My needs are VR gaming and video editing.

Thanks!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is your budget? If you have the budget then go with this Buy CORSAIR TX650M 80 PLUS GOLD SEMI MODULAR Best Price in India mdcomputers.in It is the best psu at this price.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
What is your budget? If you have the budget then go with this Buy CORSAIR TX650M 80 PLUS GOLD SEMI MODULAR Best Price in India mdcomputers.in It is the best psu at this price.
Considering my current PSU is working, I don't want to spend more than 4-5k. This one is 7.4.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
B550 boards may be launched in 3-4 months, maybe even soon. Good B450 boards can handle R5 3600 easily.
Have the issues with B450s been sorted yet? I remember a few months back there were quite a few problems.

While B550 is tempting, I don't want to wait forever. I'll do some research anyway for rumours of its release.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Considering my current PSU is working, I don't want to spend more than 4-5k. This one is 7.4.
It is not much considering TX series should also be able to last 7-8 years easily. Only good option in 4-5k are Corsair CX550/650 which come with 5 years warranty compared to 7 years warranty of TX650M.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
It is not much considering TX series should also be able to last 7-8 years easily. Only good option in 4-5k are Corsair CX550/650 which come with 5 years warranty compared to 7 years warranty of TX650M.
That's a good point. So it could very well last for my next build which would be 5 years later. Similar to my current one.

Will search if I can get a lower wattage one in the TX series. Else this is a good buy

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Mostly yes but if you can afford it then X570 mobos are better overall with better future upgrade path.
Yeah, that's my thinking too. Plus, x570 prices have fallen quite a lot. The aforementioned TUF x570 without wifi is for 14k at a local retailer. Cheapest board I found is for 11k.

450s would be around 7 to 8k?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Yeah, that's my thinking too. Plus, x570 prices have fallen quite a lot. The aforementioned TUF x570 without wifi is for 14k at a local retailer. Cheapest board I found is for 11k.

450s would be around 7 to 8k?

Wait for B550 motherboards as they will be even cheaper than X570s and will come with PCIE 4.0

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Wait for B550 motherboards as they will be even cheaper than X570s and will come with PCIE 4.0

The latest rumours say that 550 production will start in Q1 20 and should be available in Q2. My current setup is on its last legs esp my CPU(fx6300).

In an ideal scenario, I would have bought an 8320 for a throwaway price, used it till the 550s prices fall down and then upgraded. But 8320 is so expensive even today! Makes no sense.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The latest rumours say that 550 production will start in Q1 20 and should be available in Q2. My current setup is on its last legs esp my CPU(fx6300).

In an ideal scenario, I would have bought an 8320 for a throwaway price, used it till the 550s prices fall down and then upgraded. But 8320 is so expensive even today! Makes no sense.

Then go with MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC as X570s are still costlier and offers no performance difference other than PCIE 4.0
Or
If you don't want wifi module in built then go with the cheapest X570 which are Asus TUF series or Asus CS Series.

Either thisBuy Online ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS AMD X570 ATX Gaming Motherboard - in India
OR
this Buy Online ASUS PRIME X570-P/CSM AMD X570 ATX Gaming Motherboard - in India

Last edited:
Corsair CX550 at 4.5k is a good budget option. Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold for 7k+ is a better one if you plan to add relatively high-end GPUs, like those costing 30k or so.

Look at this tier list maybe:
PSU Tier List 4.0

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Corsair CX550 at 4.5k is a good budget option. Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold for 7k+ is a better one if you plan to add relatively high-end GPUs, like those costing 30k or so.

Look at this tier list maybe:
PSU Tier List 4.0
Thanks! That list is very useful.
While I doubt I'll ever spend 30k on a graphics card, I will check also check the warranty on both and take a decision.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hi,

I checked at a local store and he's quoting 9k for the FX 8370. Do you think it makes sense to buy it for now and wait for the B550s to release in a few months?

Top Bottom