Suggestion for programmer's build - ~1L

bonkers_pc

Right off the assembly line
Hello peeps,

I used to be active here long time ago with another account (now lost). Anyway, I am on lookout for building next home/work machine for me.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: I am a programmer who primarily writes C and some python. I would prefer a beefy spec that can speed up compilation and multitask well. Typical workload: multiple monitors, lots of browser tabs, code editors, compilers.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: ~80k + 20K (can go higher if genuinely helpful)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu 22.04 (or some other linux distribution)

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: New fast 120/250 SSD is required. I got HDD for slow storage.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Not required. I'll have 2x 1080p displays... will use dual monitor setup.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
- Monitor not required.
- GPU not required. integrated gpu is fine, unless the CPU doesn't have it then some cheap GPU for mild ocassional gaming (imagine CS GO)
- Keyboard / mouse not required.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within next 1 month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I can build it or get it assembled, either way shouldn't affect config.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai

Preference:
  • CPU - prefer AMD, something super beefy that can survive 3-5 years without needing replacement.
  • Motherboard - prefer gigabyte/asus, something durable for 3-5 years like mentioned before.
  • Memory - 16GB minimum with possibility of expanding to 32GB. I do hit 16 GB memory occasionally so having possibility of expansion is a must. Considering future proofing, DDR5?
  • Power supply - not preference but something durable ??
  • additional cooling - hopefully nothing special required but can add some extra case fans.
  • SSD - 120 nvme - brand / model?
  • Case - something decent looking and durable (I keep repeating this word lol)

Last edited:
CPU - Intel i5 12400 - 17k
Mobo - Gigabyte B660M DS3H WiFi - 12k
RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz C18 - 11k
GPU - None
M.2 SSD - Samsung 980 1TB - 8k
HDD - None
PSU - Deepcool PM650D 80+ Gold - 5k
Cabinet - Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh 4F - 5.2k
Monitor - None
Total - 58.2k

I feel this should suffice, but if you want something more powerful, search about how P+E cores play out in linux OSes. If it works fine, get these instead:
CPU - i7 12700 - 33k
Mobo - MSI B660M A Pro WiFi - 15k

Otherwise for AMD:
CPU - R7 5800X - 28k
Mobo - Asus TUF B550M Plus WiFi - 16k
GPU - GT 1030 2GB DDR5 - 7.5k ?? (You need something)

CPU mid range (3).png

CPU mid range (4).png

Top Bottom