Suggestion for processor

zxc3

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys! First post here at digit
Okay, so I need to urgently buy a new laptop and was looking at the Dell 7537 i5 version. Digits own review has it at #2 in the top 10 laptops.

This laptop has the 4200U processor with a base speed of only 1.6ghz.... Ive always been used to working on computers with faster processor clocks. Right now I have a second Gen i5 running at 2.4 to 2.7GHz. Will I really see a major difference or slow down with the 4200U?

Since a lot of the code now is 64 bit and everyone suggests Windows 8.1 actually needs lesser processor power, will it even matter or be noticable?

I definitely dont want to spend nearly 70K on a laptop and pull my hair in frustration later. What do you guys think?

OP
Z

zxc3

Y50 battery is not nearly as good.
Plus I'd have to spend to change the screen . That would put the price around 82k to 85K with the warranty.. Really out of budget.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey guys! First post here at digit
Okay, so I need to urgently buy a new laptop and was looking at the Dell 7537 i5 version. Digits own review has it at #2 in the top 10 laptops.

This laptop has the 4200U processor with a base speed of only 1.6ghz.... Ive always been used to working on computers with faster processor clocks. Right now I have a second Gen i5 running at 2.4 to 2.7GHz. Will I really see a major difference or slow down with the 4200U?

Since a lot of the code now is 64 bit and everyone suggests Windows 8.1 actually needs lesser processor power, will it even matter or be noticable?

I definitely dont want to spend nearly 70K on a laptop and pull my hair in frustration later. What do you guys think?

Don't buy a laptop with a undervolted proccy if you want to use it for performance purposes. Go for a mainstream core i7 QM proccy. You'll repent otherwise.
Digit reviews are crappy at best. They seem like a bunch of trolls running a magazine. IDK about the other parts but in the laptop section, they are hardcore trolling.
Recently, they said that a HP laptop with core i7 4702MQ(2.2-3.2Ghz) beat every other laptop in its category in benchmarks without actually revealing the benchmarks. Meanwhile the Y510p was a cheaper alternative with core i7 4700MQ(2.4-3.4Ghz) but according to them, the HP laptop was the "best".
They are noobs at best.

OP
Z

zxc3

Only brands I am willing to go with are Dell and Lenovo. (HP quality and after sales almost a horror story).

Only laptops whose build quality I liked are the Dell 7537 and Lenovo Y50 (This one is freakin beautiful) . Only Lenovo y50 price is the difficult point.

With the Dell maybe the processor would be the only source of problem. Are undervoltaged CPUs really that bad?

OP
Z

zxc3

^ they aren't bad for normal use, laptops with ULV ones are just overpriced.
Thanks!
But the question still remains: Should I expect any noticible difference when going from a second Gen 2.4Ghz to the new 1.6Ghz?

OP
Z

zxc3

The i5 version of the y50 has the 4200H, but Lenovo has already informed that they have no plans of launching that in India... :(

OP
Z

zxc3

I DO mind the screen and the price is much higher. I know yhe specs and build are great for the price, but the price does fall outside budget.

Any chance these companies would be launching new models any time soon?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I DO mind the screen and the price is much higher. I know yhe specs and build are great for the price, but the price does fall outside budget.

Any chance these companies would be launching new models any time soon?

Y50 is a "new" product. Laptops don't get much more "newer" than that.

Top Bottom