Suggestion for a balanced PC.

mzs_47

Broken In
Hello,
I already have purchased some of the build items. I will list the situation at the bottom of this QnA.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Virtulization, DBs, on Linux and Freebsd, This is basically to learn more about these, not hardcore work

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 25-30k (Including monitor)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: FreeBSD and Linux dualboot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 128GB SSD only for OSs. Spare HDDs for storage which I have.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I need LED, IPS, 1080p in as optimal size as possible. So 22". I have AOC I2269vwm and LG 22ea53v in mind.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: GPU, Mechanical HDD. See below for recently bought items.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a weeks time

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: First time!

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Bangalore/Mysore, I prefer online shopping. Can go locally if I can get a better bargain.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I like to know whether I can send back products purchased from sanpdeal within 7 days. I got them like 2 days back.

I have got the following from Snapdeal(when there was 7% discount) have not opened the boxes/seal, just the packaging removed.
If you feel I can replace something with a better one let me know and I will send it back.

CPU: Pentium G2030 for 3069 (IMO, best value for money, has VT-x with EPT, can I get i3 for 5k?)
MB: GA-B75-D3h for 3830 (For the HDMI, USB 3 support)
SSD: Transcend370 SATA III 128GB for 4092 (Recent one)

Planned to buy,
RAM: 1600 MTs 4GB either Transcend/Kingston. approx 2.5K (Waiting for a good deal online ;)
Cabinet: As compact as possible Budget: 2-3k, thinking of CM Elite 344, or Iball President (exact 4 expansion slots and space for 2.5" HDD)
PSU: Crosair CX500 International is 30$, hoping Indian price to be around 2-2.5k locally. Have seen good reviews. [1]
UPS: APC Back-UPS BX600CI-IN available on ebay for INR 2166

[1] CX500 review
Corsair CX500: Measurements - Part 2: Four Cheap 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supplies, Reviewed

Let me know what do you think.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
you can return products AFAIK but you'll have to buy something else. contact the CC for more info. I'd say you return the products and get this-

i3 4130 ~7k
Gigabyte GA-H 81M -S 2PV H81 ~4k
HyperXFury 4GB ~3k
Antec BP300P ~2k
Dell S2240L ~8k [get AOC i2369VM if it's available for 9k]
get any local cabinet which suits you need or you can get CM N200 ~ 2.5k
Samsung EVO 128GB ~5.5k

OP
M

mzs_47

Broken In
Thanks Aditya,

I did not know about Antec PSU, smart choice for my requirments! :)
Can I further add PCI cards with this PSU. Like wifi, two more 2.5 HDDs and low/middle end Nvidia GPU?

Ok, I wanted to go with a i3(3rd or 4th gen) first, but some things made me change my mind.
I tried my best to get benchmarks of virtulization, but most of the sites are game oriented. So its not a true representation of which processor is best for my case.

A Pentium processor is basically a stripped down version of i3, which removes HT, 300 to 400 MHz, HD2500/HD4000 graphics, AES circuit and some new instructions.

The Integrated Graphics are not much of use to me or don't offer much. I can get an Nvidia GPU, they are supported on both BSD and Linux.
Intel HT is only better in some scenarios and adds just a little to performance than the clock speed, its not a true quad core, I preferred i5 or AMD. But former is expensive and latter is not supported well on BSD yet.
The only loss is the clock speed. Which does have some significant impact on preformance (20-30 %).

So the prefromance to price ratio is better in Pentiums.

##Drawbacks and security issues of HT
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading#Drawbacks

Other than this, I really liked the features offered by this Gigabyte MB. The CPU+MB combo of Ivy Bridge is better than Haswell combo for the price, atleast in India.
I colud be wrong as I have not gone locally to SP road to check this.

Dell has glossy screen. I will go with AOC as they have matte screen/anti glare coating. I am willing to spend more beacuse I will be looking at the screen full of terminals. And I need 1080p just for a accomodating tiling windows. Else I would have gone with 720p.

Please take future addition of PCI cards to suggest a PSU.

Thanks!

OP
M

mzs_47

Broken In
Thanks, I was wondering the same. I tried contacting the SD customer care and they have not replied yet. And looking at the policy it seems I cannot return electronic products because of "satisfaction" or "size".

I have complained of computer generated bills which are not sealed/signed by the retailer. But if these bills/invoices are legally enforceable for warranty I will not return these items and will base my build on these.

I hope this Antec VP450p has the 1x8 pin 12v connector for the CPU, as revision 1.2 of MB GA-B75-d3h does not have a 4 pin connector.

OP
M

mzs_47

Broken In
Ok, I purchased CoolerMaster Thunder 450w psu for INR 2750(including vat) from SP road. It was 2.5k just around a week back on Snapdeal.

The dealers were pushing me to purchase Crosair vs450(which had single rail) and other brands. There was no sign of seasonic. Antec was in low supply and they were not ready to negotiate.

I could not find the cabinets, all of them were saying that they are out of stock. (wat? )
CM Elite 344 USB3.0 or
CM N200 advanced.

So just got an APC ups(2k + vat) and iball President cabinet (1.2k +vat), which was the closest to what I was looking for.

Waiting for snapdeal's reply so that I can either return back the components and get new ones or start building with the current.

One of them was pissed off when I mentioned that rates online were cheaper than what I am finding here. (Which is true)
And they were contradicting as to Transcend's service center. Some were saying its there and others denying. Confused.

In my experience online shopping is better than strolling around on sp road with the heavy traffic and haggling with the retailers.
Will order the monitor and ram online as soon as snapdeal replies.

OP
M

mzs_47

Broken In
not a good choice for the psu there!
seasonic ss400bt/antec vp450p should have been fine.

Curiosity: Is there a particular reason why Coolermaster /Crosair are not good enough?
of course the rating is not stellar, but it should be above average I guess. Please advise.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Curiosity: Is there a particular reason why Coolermaster /Crosair are not good enough?
of course the rating is not stellar, but it should be above average I guess. Please advise.

i am not talking about brand, bu the model. cooler master has some great psus and is the same case with corsair. their entry level psus are not good.

Ok, I purchased CoolerMaster Thunder 450w psu for INR 2750(including vat) from SP road. It was 2.5k just around a week back on Snapdeal.

The dealers were pushing me to purchase Crosair vs450(which had single rail) and other brands. There was no sign of seasonic. Antec was in low supply and they were not ready to negotiate.

I could not find the cabinets, all of them were saying that they are out of stock. (wat? )
CM Elite 344 USB3.0 or
CM N200 advanced.

So just got an APC ups(2k + vat) and iball President cabinet (1.2k +vat), which was the closest to what I was looking for.

Waiting for snapdeal's reply so that I can either return back the components and get new ones or start building with the current.

One of them was pissed off when I mentioned that rates online were cheaper than what I am finding here. (Which is true)
And they were contradicting as to Transcend's service center. Some were saying its there and others denying. Confused.

In my experience online shopping is better than strolling around on sp road with the heavy traffic and haggling with the retailers.
Will order the monitor and ram online as soon as snapdeal replies.

Bad choice of PSU buddy. You should listen to suggestions and not deviate from them. Corsair VS is also not a good choice. And it's CM Thunder PSU that are bad, not the whole brand.

OP
M

mzs_47

Broken In
Bad choice of PSU buddy. You should listen to suggestions and not deviate from them. Corsair VS is also not a good choice. And it's CM Thunder PSU that are bad, not the whole brand.

Yep, I relented as I was pushed by them. They were even pushing for a case and UPS change but I did not heed.
The other thing is confusion because of the various model varities.

Top Bottom