Suggest router for Cable broadband

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Which router to buy for Cable broadband for my desktop?
currently using device on rent from bsnl.

TP-Link TL-WR740N - does this support cable bb?
are laptops and android phones supported?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Cable Broadband and Device from BSNL? can you be a little more descriptive. Also please state your budget.

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Cable Broadband and Device from BSNL? can you be a little more descriptive. Also please state your budget.

Currently using bsnl bb and device on rent ... don't know model/specs of device though.
Planning to go for Cable bb provided by local cable operator.
Just wanted to check options before calling them.

Budget : as low as possible. the router i inquired about - TP-Link TL-WR740N - is selling for 888 on flipkart so I would expect to spend ~1k.
Also TP-Link TL-WR720N is selling for 700 so i consider that on my list as well - TP-Link TL-WR720N Wireless Router - Buy TP-Link TL-WR720N Wireless Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Currently using bsnl bb and device on rent ... don't know model/specs of device though.
Planning to go for Cable bb provided by local cable operator.
Just wanted to check options before calling them.

Budget : as low as possible. the router i inquired about - TP-Link TL-WR740N - is selling for 888 on flipkart so I would expect to spend ~1k.
Also TP-Link TL-WR720N is selling for 700 so i consider that on my list as well - TP-Link TL-WR720N Wireless Router - Buy TP-Link TL-WR720N Wireless Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

740N looks good as it has 4 LAN ports and external antenna also it has a WAN port, so you can connect the modem to that port.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I used to use a TPLink WR740N with a Hathway cable broadband long time back. Worked without any problems.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
do i need a modem even after buying a router? Please clarify.

Also, what about TP-Link TL-WR720N?

There are two types of routers available, one is Broadband Router ( works with Any kind of external modem like cable, adsl, direct etc) and ADSL router( works only with ADSL phone lines BSNL, airtel etc).

low budget ADSL routers usually don't have WAN Port, so configuration it to work with cable modems is difficult or confusing if you cant get proper details from your ISP. where as broadband you can use any modem. cable modems will be given by the cable company only.

I feel that broadband router is suited for you.

720N has only two LAN ports and internal antenna. 740N has 4 LAN ports and External antenna. for about Rs. 200 difference, I think its better to go for 740.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Most router firmware have a wizard to configure itself for any type of connection. Therefore, I don't think you'd have to configure then manually.

beingGamer

In the zone
The routers telephone companies provide have only 1input that is the telephone plug. You need a router which has LAN socket as input

Hrishi

It also depends on the authentication mechanism your ISP uses.
Generally in my case my ISP has provided me with a lan cable, which goes into my router's WAN port.
I just need to configure my router accordingly to clone the computer's mac ID.

Top Bottom