Suggest new modem for BSNL broadband

ispote

Broken In
Hello Friends,

I have applied for BSNL wireline broadband and landline connection which will be up within few days. Not having much knowledge about such devices like modems, I request you to please suggest me a good broadband modem which is suitable for my requirements -

1) LAN: I will be connecting THREE devices to modem using LAN wires.
2) Wi Fi: I will connect two laptops, one printer, four mobiles and one swipe card machine using Wi-Fi to this modem. These all may connect simultaneously.
3) Wi Fi is required in about 30 sq. ft. of area (30 x 30 ft.)
4) I have currently installed a POS printer (NON-USB) to my desktop using LAN port. So please guide me if I can attach this printer to modem and then I can use Internet to my desktop and this POS printer through this router.
5) Performance and speed is important. Budget is up to 5000 or below.
6) I want to but the modem as early as possible.

Thanks in advance.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
First ask your service provider whether they are using ADSL technology or VDSL, then the members will be able to suggest modems.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
In Flipkart, most modems have 4 LAN ports. That means, you can use 4 LAN cable connections to it.

As for printer, if it is available in network, you can print on it as well. Depends mainly about whether your OS can detect it, no matter how you connect it to the network

Almost all ADSL modems available on Flipkart and Amazon will work with BSNL. Check description, most models talk about support for BSNL, whether available or not

The main thing you should look for is a phone cable input should be present. They call it RJ11 port. It is smaller than LAN cable and where you plugin the BSNL wire.

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
Dear Members,

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. As I asked to BSNL, the person there told me that I should buy ADSL modem.

Thank you for your link and for sharing the information about RJ-11

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
Hello Members,
I have gone through the models you have suggested me. I have one doubt. Is the WAN port mentioned on the modem configuration means the RJ-11 port that you mentioned?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most likely No.WAN port is labeled as such usually in routers(aka not modems). @bssunilreddy posted a wrong model,DIR-816 is just a router not adsl modem/router.

This is what you require(only see those that have adsl mentioned in their title):
*www.amazon.in/s/ref=lp_1375439031_...439031&ie=UTF8&qid=1513600037&rnid=7004989031

If your budget is 2k then I recommend tplink w8968,it can support lan(aka wan) internet connections too(like those provided by cable broadband providers like hathway,spectranet,alliance broadband etc) & also supports many 3g usb modems for backup/alternate wifi internet connection.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Is the WAN port mentioned on the modem configuration means the RJ-11 port that you mentioned?

Is it blue in colour ? If yes, most probably, that is a LAN (RJ 45 )cable input. It is good to have WAN port support as well, as long as there is an RJ 11 input is available. There are some models with USB ports as well. That might help your ambition of using a network printer ( I am not sure though ).

Top Bottom