Suggest graphics card for old comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
I sold my comp to a friend and he asked if a graphics card can be added so please help me here
config is
asus mobo a8v mx
amd 3000
it has
2 pci slots
1 pcie slot
1 agp 8x
so please suggest a cheap gpu which supports this mobo and price needs to be less than 4k

btw mobo supports only ddr 1
i read some threads here but could understand what ddr2 and ddr3 in the gpu suggests. Does ddr 1 mobo cause any prob with ddr3 gpu.
Will the mobo support the gpu like 8600 gt
plus he has bought an external tv tuner card from frontech magic box yesterday but there is no vga slot in the pc or monitor for the purpose. So can gpu help in this case .
And thanks in advance .

Ps . . The ddr1 means mobo supports ddr1 ram only it has 256+512 mb ram
and can the graphics card be oc-ed

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
1. The PCI-E slot on the mobo is 1x type for another kind of card, not for graphics. You have to look for an AGP card. I suggest the AGP version of 6600GT or 7600GT. It may be difficult to find new cards, especially the 7600GT, and you may have to be satisfied with a used one.

2. You don't have to worry about DDR2 or DDR3 being used on the graphics card. The card has its own memory interface and has nothing to do with the type of RAM supported by the motherboard.

3. Your motherboard does have a VGA port (not slot). It is that 15-pin female socket at the back where you normally connect the monitor cable. To use the external TV tuner, connect the 15-pin male connector from the tuner to the female socket at the rear of the CPU, and connect the monitor cable to the female socket on the tuner itself. I've made a rough drawing showing the connections, but my connection is so bad today that I've been unable to upload the image after trying for more than half an hour.

Added later:
OK, I managed to upload the image to another site. Here it is -
*i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/keimah/Ext_Tuner_Conn.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom