Suggest a usb 3.0 2.5" hdd enclosure

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Hi folk's,
I upgraded my R558 with Samsung 750 Evo by swapping the HDD with SSD.

Now I need an enclosure for 1 TB HDD 2.5" to use it as an external HDD.

Any suggestions based or personal experiences will be appreciated.

So I shortlisted the following products -

Orico - Good reviews on Amazon.com
Tool Free Screw-Less ORICO 2588US3 USB 3.0 2.5-inch SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Adapter Case for HDD SSD SATA Drive - Black Tool Free Screw-Less ORICO 2588US3 USB 3.0 2.5-inch SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Adapter Case for HDD SSD SATA Drive - Black - Buy Tool Free Screw-Less ORICO 2588US3 USB 3.0 2.5-inch SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure Adapter Case for HDD SSD S

No warranty in India

QuantumZero (Made in India) - Talked to CC.Quite helpful.1.5 yr replacement warranty -705/- cheapest -official site
Some users complain about connection unsuccessful to TV
QuantumZERO QZ-HD02 USB 3.0 2.5" Hard Drive Disk HDD/SSD External Enclosure Case for 9.5 mm, 7 mm 2.5" SATA I, II, III HDD, SSD [ASMedia ASM1153E Chipset] QuantumZERO QZ-HD02 USB 3.0 2.5" Hard Drive Disk HDD/SSD External Enclosure Case for 9.5 mm, 7 mm 2.5" SATA I, II, III HDD, SSD [ASMedia ASM1153E Chipset]: Amazon.in: Electronics

Transcend -usb 3.0
Primeabgb -cheapest -900
Global brand
Power saver feature which goes on idle mode
Transcend 2.5" Portable HDD Enclosure Casing 25S3 - USB 3.0 Transcend 2.5" Portable HDD Enclosure Casing 25S3 - USB 3.0 - Buy Transcend 2.5" Portable HDD Enclosure Casing 25S3 - USB 3.0 Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
I have the Transcend one. I haven't measured the speed but have installed and played Fifa 15 on it connected via the usb 3.0 port. Buy the USB 3.0 only if your HDD is fast enough to make use of it. My laptop HDD was a 7200 rpm one.

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
I have the Transcend one. I haven't measured the speed but have installed and played Fifa 15 on it connected via the usb 3.0 port. Buy the USB 3.0 only if your HDD is fast enough to make use of it. My laptop HDD was a 7200 rpm one.

1.Does the transcend one connect to TV?
2.How's the cable quality.(Reviews mention that cable quality is below par)
3.How are Read/Write speeds?
4.Transcend has powersaving feature so does it disconnects frequently?

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010
Transcend casings are better in stability and durability. You can also consider replacing the optical drive with HDD caddy, that way you can have two HDD at the same time. And you can use the optical drive as an external one. (there are 9.5mm and 12.7 mm, check your optical drive before buying.)

Storite 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy 9.5MM For Laptop/Macbook/Macbook PRO - 9.5mm Sata To Sata - Expand Your Data Storage by Replacing Sata Optical Drive With this Caddy on Your Laptop: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessorie

3 Year Warranty iConnect World™ SATA 2nd 2.5'' Hard Drive Caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM - Expand your data storage on your Laptop with HDD/SSD - Buy 3 Year Warranty iConnect World™ SATA 2nd 2.5'' Hard Drive Caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM - Expand your data storage on your Laptop with HDD/SSD Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.i

Amazon.in: Buy AlexVyan®-Genuine Accessory with 1 year warranty- 13 Pin SATA to USB 2.0 External Portable Drive Case for Laptop CD-ROM DVD DVD-RW Drive 12.7mm Online at Low Prices in India | Drive Case Reviews & Rating

Special Note: It is better NOT to use the HDD as an OS drive. Secondary HDDs have a weird tendency to fail (if that HDD came pre-installed with laptop).
Keep 15-20% of SSD free (over-provisioning). Laptops make the installed drive as primary, so sometimes it is difficult to use the SSD as a boot drive, reset the BIOS and install the SSD first, and then after OS installation, install the HDD into the bay.

Sometimes the optical drive is on SATA 2, so to use the SSD optimally one must use the default SATA 3 interface.

Last edited:
OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Transcend casings are better in stability and durability. You can also consider replacing the optical drive with HDD caddy, that way you can have two HDD at the same time. And you can use the optical drive as an external one. (there are 9.5mm and 12.7 mm, check your optical drive before buying.)

Storite 2nd Hard Drive Bay Caddy 9.5MM For Laptop/Macbook/Macbook PRO - 9.5mm Sata To Sata - Expand Your Data Storage by Replacing Sata Optical Drive With this Caddy on Your Laptop: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessorie

3 Year Warranty iConnect World™ SATA 2nd 2.5'' Hard Drive Caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM - Expand your data storage on your Laptop with HDD/SSD - Buy 3 Year Warranty iConnect World™ SATA 2nd 2.5'' Hard Drive Caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM - Expand your data storage on your Laptop with HDD/SSD Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.i

Amazon.in: Buy AlexVyan-Genuine Accessory with 1 year warranty- 13 Pin SATA to USB 2.0 External Portable Drive Case for Laptop CD-ROM DVD DVD-RW Drive 12.7mm Online at Low Prices in India | Drive Case Reviews & Rating

You should instead use a HDD Caddy and replace your DVD drive with that 1 TB HDD

Laptop is new plus it's too slim unlike other laptops.
Asus doesn't permit to replace Dvd with Caddy.
So that option was struck off

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010
Re: Suggest a usb 3.0 2.5" hdd enclosure

1. You have to buy a powered USB cable (Y cable) and your TV must have two USB ports.
2. The cable provided is one way USB 3.0, so you have to purchase Y cable separately.
3. Read Write speed is 80/20 MBps (depends on the HDD though).
4. It won't disconnect frequently (just don't touch the cable when performing file transfer -from personal experience)

- - - Updated - - -

9.5 mm is there. If your laptop has an optical drive bay, maybe it can be replaced. Hope it helps.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
1. Haven't used it with a TV. Will try it out when I get home(currently in office).
2. Cable Quality is good. Didn't seem cheap to me. It's a single USB 3.0 cable. Will check if a separate Y-cable needed or not for using with TV.
3. Haven't measured it and as other forum members are saying , speed depends on the hard drive you put into it.
4. As far as i noticed, no frequent disconnection due to power saving feature. I keep mine constantly connected to my laptop.

Note: The Optical drive port on many laptops are usually slower than SATA 2 port since DVD drives max supported bandwidth is lower than a SATA 2 Interface. So chances are that it may bottleneck your HDD.

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Ditched a Indian company and ordered Transcend
:( Banghead

Will be used by sister so appearance matters to her.

Anyways guys.

Top Bottom