Suggest a SSD and WiFi dongle for a old PC

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Finally I added the new SSD in my PC and installed Windows 10 afresh! Windows is running so much smoothly now! Haven't connected the old HDD yet. Also could not create the local accounts; had to use Microsoft email ids, and now they ask for too much information.

Still need help in few areas:

1. Couldn't figure it out how to fix the SSD in that 2.5" bay; not even two holes are matching with SSD holes. Also the screws I've got with cabinet, don't fit in the SSD; currently it's just placed inside the cabinet. Looks like something needs to be purchased to fix it securely, or just leave it like that?
2. My current MS Office version is too old (2007), any easy way to get a newer version w/o spending money? :)

Thanks!

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
It is possible to create local accounts.
1. If holes in both don't match, then look for ssd bracket in local market or order from onlyssd.
2. Try local market though 2007 is also ok.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally I added the new SSD in my PC and installed Windows 10 afresh! Windows is running so much smoothly now! Haven't connected the old HDD yet. Also could not create the local accounts; had to use Microsoft email ids, and now they ask for too much information.

Still need help in few areas:

1. Couldn't figure it out how to fix the SSD in that 2.5" bay; not even two holes are matching with SSD holes. Also the screws I've got with cabinet, don't fit in the SSD; currently it's just placed inside the cabinet. Looks like something needs to be purchased to fix it securely, or just leave it like that?
2. My current MS Office version is too old (2007), any easy way to get a newer version w/o spending money? :)

Thanks!
Disconnect lan/wifi during win 10 installation process to skip ms account screen & after that use control panel--user acc settings to switch to local acc for future login.

1. check this video,may be you need to change the ssd orientation.
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7BT5y4Hh0

2. check pm.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Disconnect lan/wifi during win 10 installation process to skip ms account screen & after that use control panel--user acc settings to switch to local acc for future login.

1. check this video,may be you need to change the ssd orientation.
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7BT5y4Hh0
2. check pm.

Thanks a lot!
I checked that video and it looks like they have used some tray/plate to fix the SSD. Anyway, I'll get the screws first to fix it.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Hello friends, being unable to fit the SSD properly in the cabinet, finally bought the SSD mount suggested by @whitestar_999 ! Now it's fitting perfectly inside the 2.5" bay in the cabinet, all screwed up well! (In a good sense :))

The PC is moved to it's new place and running well, but unfortunately it's not connecting to wifi even on 2.4 GHz band due to poor signals. The arrangement is such that if we move the PC around, it will mess up the whole room layout. Now I need to do some cable arrangement for internet.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions friends!!

Top Bottom