Suggest a phone between 30-40K

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
1. Budget?
About 30-40k
2. Display type and size?
Would prefer AMOLED screen. Would have preferred a more compact size but if the phone is good, don't mind a big screen
3. Dual sim?
Nope. However if the brand provides an sd slot there instead, that would be a bonus
4. Preferred choice of brand?
Google/Samsung (Preferably brands with no bloatware) Was a fan of Oneplus but not anymore
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Main/Ultrawide camera. Camera which is capable of excellent night shots. I do take a lot of photos. Don't use front camera much other than office vid calls
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc).
Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi).
5 GHZ, WIFI6
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Multimedia, Camera, Internet will be primary. Not much of a mobile gaming, maybe casual at best. Do install a lot of apps though
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Samsung S20 FE 5G( Not for 5G function but because of SD865), Google Pixel 4A, Nord 2(Last option) Oneplus(Not too happy with their buggy software updates)
10. Any other info that you want to share
One big priority is a good battery life (Bigger battery, the better) Don't care for 65W fast charging or anything..Even 25-30W is decent for me

I have been using Oneplus 5T since Dec 2017. Was an excellent package overall. Even in 2021, the phone had no lags whatsoever and had intentions on using it until the end of the year but since yesterday, there is a blue patch on the screen which is increasing everyday. One thing putting me off of Oneplus are the updates. When they arrive, they used to be so buggy that it would be unusable until the next fix. Besides, their updates at the end of the cycle were highly irregular. i am hearing similar complains from other OP users. However if they are worth it, i am not averse to buying them too

Thanks

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Oh man you just missed a decent deal in Amazon Freedom Sale on S20FE. It was 42K with a coupon.

S20 FE 5G is easily the best option. Look out for sales, it goes for under 45k from time to time.

For something cheaper, iQoo 7 might be worth looking into. But if you can spend close to 45k, better wait for S20 FE 5G to go on sale.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Unfortunately my phone display had to start dying minutes before the sale ended. I had noticed the S20FE 5G was coming to 40k or so with card discount but it was too late..I can wait for few weeks until my display is entirely turned to blue.

@omega44-xt my only concern with the IQoo7 are the numbers of ads and permissions. Saw my friend's IQoo and the phone insist on using the default browser and the regular annoying ads.

I have few concerns about Samsung S20 FE 5g though. Now, i heard that even SD865 tends to heat up a bit under moderate usage. Is there any truth to it? Secondly, some people are complaining about the battery life. For a phone with 4500 Mah battery, the SOT seems low between 4-6 hours? Any feedback on the battery life? How good is the camera and the video performance of this phone especially when you compare phones in similar price point?

Lastly this is a general question. I listen to a lot of music especially with my 3.5mm jack on my Oneplus 5T. I realise that these days the phones don't have 3.5m audio jack at this price range. So, what are my alternatives? I still love listening to music using wires earphones as the audio quality isn't the same with bluetooth headphones. Do i then get a type c to 3.5mm jack adapter?

I prefer using the phone for a minimum of 3 years. How well will this phone age?

Thanks again everyone for all your help

Last edited:
Unfortunately my phone display had to start dying minutes before the sale ended. I had noticed the S20FE 5G was coming to 40k or so with card discount but it was too late..I can wait for few weeks until my display is entirely turned to blue.

@omega44-xt my only concern with the IQoo7 are the numbers of ads and permissions. Saw my friend's IQoo and the phone insist on using the default browser and the regular annoying ads.

I have few concerns about Samsung S20 FE 5g though. Now, i heard that even SD865 tends to heat up a bit under moderate usage. Is there any truth to it? Secondly, some people are complaining about the battery life. For a phone with 4500 Mah battery, the SOT seems low between 4-6 hours? Any feedback on the battery life? How good is the camera and the video performance of this phone especially when you compare phones with similar price point?

Lastly this is a general question. I listen to a lot of music especially with my 3.5mm jack on my Oneplus 5T. I realise that these days the phones don't have 3.5m audio jack at this price range. So, what are my alternatives? I still love listening to music using wires earphones as the audio quality isn't the same with bluetooth headphones. Do i then get a type c to 3.5mm jack adapter?

I prefer using the phone for a minimum of 3 years. How well will this phone age?

I think only cheap Redmi phones have full screen ads. Rest have ads pushed via notification using some system app which can be disabled. I have almost completely disabled ads on RN8 & RN10 using guides available online, so iQoo isn't that bad from what I heard. BTW even Samsung M & A series have those notification ads & disabling it is actually tougher as the option is available only on the first setup of phone, so have to reset the device if you didn't do it the first time.

Wait for a few weeks for S20 FE 5G.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
I think only cheap Redmi phones have full screen ads. Rest have ads pushed via notification using some system app which can be disabled. I have almost completely disabled ads on RN8 & RN10 using guides available online, so iQoo isn't that bad from what I heard. BTW even Samsung M & A series have those notification ads & disabling it is actually tougher as the option is available only on the first setup of phone, so have to reset the device if you didn't do it the first time.

Wait for a few weeks for S20 FE 5G.
Ahh ok, i see, Thanks for the info. Duly noted

TheSloth

The Slowest One

I have few concerns about Samsung S20 FE 5g though. Now, i heard that even SD865 tends to heat up a bit under moderate usage. Is there any truth to it? Secondly, some people are complaining about the battery life. For a phone with 4500 Mah battery, the SOT seems low between 4-6 hours? Any feedback on the battery life? How good is the camera and the video performance of this phone especially when you compare phones in similar price point?

I purchased the S20FE on this last sale for 38.7K with help of 2k coupon+old phone exchange.
I will be able to tell about the bold part only. The phone does becomes warm while using. But its nothing which will bother since one can get used to it.
Battery life for such new phone is supposed to be good. After 1st charge, the SOT time was 8hrs+ and total of 22hrs stand by time. Charging from 20% to 100% took almost 2hrs.

I don't have much knowledge about the camera so I don't really know if the pics or good or bad, so I can not help you with this.

I have also ordered a ONCRO Type-C to 3.5mm jack connector worth Rs.392. Yet to receive it. Don't know if it will support the normal headsets features like attending calls or not. Let me know if you need update about this.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
I purchased the S20FE on this last sale for 38.7K with help of 2k coupon+old phone exchange.
I will be able to tell about the bold part only. The phone does becomes warm while using. But its nothing which will bother since one can get used to it.
Battery life for such new phone is supposed to be good. After 1st charge, the SOT time was 8hrs+ and total of 22hrs stand by time. Charging from 20% to 100% took almost 2hrs.

I don't have much knowledge about the camera so I don't really know if the pics or good or bad, so I can not help you with this.

I have also ordered a ONCRO Type-C to 3.5mm jack connector worth Rs.392. Yet to receive it. Don't know if it will support the normal headsets features like attending calls or not. Let me know if you need update about this.
Deeply appreciate the info. Thanks for clearing things up especially with the battery life and heating queries. Would appreciate if you could update on the Oncro connector after using it. Planning to get one myself. Thanks again

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Deeply appreciate the info. Thanks for clearing things up especially with the battery life and heating queries. Would appreciate if you could update on the Oncro connector after using it. Planning to get one myself. Thanks again
Hi! I saw your post yesterday but didn't reply since I had no update on this.
I got this ONCRO connector only by today afternoon. The headset with 3.5mm jack has only 1 button to attend calls and start/pause song/video. Both these features are working with connector as well but product is not as shown on the product page. The wire on product page looks thick but actually it is quite thin which may not last long with rough usage. Feels very cheap product, like Rs.100/150 at max.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hi! I saw your post yesterday but didn't reply since I had no update on this.
I got this ONCRO connector only by today afternoon. The headset with 3.5mm jack has only 1 button to attend calls and start/pause song/video. Both these features are working with connector as well but product is not as shown on the product page. The wire on product page looks thick but actually it is quite thin which may not last long with rough usage. Feels very cheap product, like Rs.100/150 at max.
No worries..Thanks for the review..Atleast the buttons work..Will check the quality of these when i buy online..May opt for a different brand then

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Edge 20 Fusion maybe.
I like Moto's phones but their updates are quite slow. Otherwise the phone looks excellent for the price..I am curious to see how the camera performs when compared with S20 FE. Is it better than the S20FE though?

Was waiting for some reviews to come out so i'll wait before commiting. .Still waiting for the sale of S20FE but if Moto Edge20 is more vfm, then will opt for it

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Price just fell to 50,999/- and amazon is giving 6500 discount on hdfc card. I should be getting it for 44,999/-

Is this a good price to purchase or should i wait?

I also asked around some offline stores and they are quoting about 46k

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
S20 FE 5G is easily the best option. Look out for sales, it goes for under 45k from time to time.

For something cheaper, iQoo 7 might be worth looking into. But if you can spend close to 45k, better wait for S20 FE 5G to go on sale.
Its now available around this price

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
S20 FE 5G is still a great device under 45k, nothing changed in 2 weeks. S21 FE will likely be 50k+, but let's see.
I was wondering if the price is good now since its available at 44,999/-. Hoping that Samsung continues to provide update for the next three years at least for S20 FE 5G

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Went ahead with the purchase..44.499 after HDFC discount plus i had 1500 gift card from the bank..final payment 42,999

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Finished setting up the phone. Overall, quite impressed. It has everything i was looking for. The phone did heat up initially when i was restoring data but since then i haven't faced it again

One issue bothering me now is the battery life. I am getting about 4 hours SOT but i am hoping that it will improve later on

Top Bottom