Suggest a MESH router

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi friends, planning to buy a MESH router in the upcoming sale!

2 tours is enough for me.

However let me know what all points I must consider before buying this.
Also any other thing I must know before making the switch from normal router to MESH router.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
What's the coverage area and physical topology like?

More often than not I'd suggest using a "normal" router due to the performance and latency implications. Also, Mesh routers are very expensive compared to normal routers.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
What's the coverage area and physical topology like?

More often than not I'd suggest using a "normal" router due to the performance and latency implications. Also, Mesh routers are very expensive compared to normal routers.

two storied home.
3 rooms, hall. Main connection would be set up in first floor as internet cable is in that room.

Plan to use one tower in first floor and another in ground floor.

Cost....ummm....plan to invest around 10k for this.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Probably cheaper and more convenient to setup a simple wifi and repeater setup for both the floors.

Running a quick search on amazon for mesh routers, found this *www.amazon.in/dp/B07TV5WQ78/

Personally don't have experience with this one but reviews look rather good. So you might want to give this a go.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
What's the particular issue you're having?
I've this setup now i.e. a normal router and repeater but having issues with speed and SSID connection.
Did you change the channel for the repeater or are they on same channel? Changing channel should help performance considerably.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
What's the particular issue you're having? Did you change the channel for the repeater or are they on same channel? Changing channel should help performance considerably.

Do the repeater and modem connect if they are on different channel?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Mostly was taking about the "repeated" ssid that the repeater should broadcast for users to use from.

I don't have enough knowledge to understand your reply :ashamed: . I was trying to connect my W8968 as a repeater last weekend and found out that to connect to the main modem in bridge mode, channel has to be same. Now I gave up on that setup since I have no clue how to set up the entire thing after fighting with the settings for nearly 5hrs and losing.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I don't have enough knowledge to understand your reply :ashamed: . I was trying to connect my W8968 as a repeater last weekend and found out that to connect to the main modem in bridge mode, channel has to be same. Now I gave up on that setup since I have no clue how to set up the entire thing after fighting with the settings for nearly 5hrs and losing.

Personally I'm yet to setup extender. Have some experience with Mesh (using Rpi). I guess Extender shouldn't be too hard?

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
I used to use a router in extender mode to connect to my primary router in another floor for my home. Speeds were low and sometimes connections would drop and I had to restart the secondary router to make it work again. Now I got a ethernet cable installed from the primary router to connect to the secondary router. Now it works flawlessly. My advice, get ethernet cable installed across the floors and use normal routers. MESH routers even though costly will probably be easier to setup compared to Router + wireless extenders combo.

Last edited:
OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
No plan to use cable.

Mesh router it is I've decided.
Already using Normal router+extender for 3+ years and not happy with this solution.

If anyone here is using MESH router, do suggest one.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If not planning on using ethernet cable to connect primary & secondary router then nothing beats mesh router. However I have doubts about cheaper mesh routers working effectively on wireless link, go through comments here:
*www.flipkart.com/tp-link-deco-e4-2...jfs37k0000001602750174958&qH=f3395cd54cf857dd

ishan_kkr

Journeyman
Hello Everyone!

I have a large area to cover up with Wifi (approx 4k square feet on a single floor) (4 rooms and hall) Been using TPLINK WR-840N Router with Tpink Wifi Extender from some time but always had speed and connectivity issues.

Going for a FTTH Now (Local operator here in my area) with 100 mbps plan.

Should I opt for MESH Routers?

Or Dual Band TP Link Router would suffice with my wifi extender?

Pls. guide!

Thanks!

Top Bottom