Suggest a Laptop for general use <35k

nikufellow

In the zone
Hey folks I've purchased a hp pavilion G6 with recommendation from here years back during my college days it's finally given up on me and Iam looking to replace it so here Iam. Thanks in advance

What is your budget?
(INR or USD)
Below 35000 ( lesser the better coz I plan on building my first pc after moving from rented place to a more permanent one soon)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • 14" - 15.6" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
-I have few light weight apps in play store so will be using Android studio for maintaining them nothing heavy though
-seo and some digital marketing stuff - basically 7-8 chrome tabs open
-occasional light gaming - running on low/mid 768p res fine for me

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
8gb ram must. Ssd would be nice. Intel or amd

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Open to all

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution 1080p (Full HD) )(720 OK)
  • extended (5-7hrs) )
  • Purchase place = online
So far iam torn between these two I would like your opinion on which is better or if there are any better ones out there :

*www.amazon.in/dp/B082PB9GDN/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_WH.yEbK289FAT

And

*www.amazon.in/dp/B082D5KPJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_HI.yEbRHB4035

Any R5 3500U laptop at 35k is a great deal, better if it has SSD & 8GB RAM.

Lenovo Ideapad S145 with R3 3200U, 4GB, 1080p display & 512GB SSD costs 28-29k in Lenovo's website, great cheap option. Just add another 4/8GB RAM stick after purchase.

Sorry for the late reply, but hope my answer will help someone else if not OP.

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
and the link given by op?

Lenovo Ideapad S145 AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 15.6 inch FHD Thin and Light Laptop (8GB/1TB/Windows 10/Black/1.85Kg), 81UT0079IN

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
If you mean Ryzen 3200u+512gb ssd then yes it used to be available for ~29k after discount on lenovo India site.

just seen Lenovo India site... some models are having only SSD and and some having HDD...my qn is with only SSD with 256 GB or 500 GB where to keep my data? any provisionto add HDD of 1 TB to those models ? or any provision to add SSD with only HDD?

Attachments

• LENOVO.JPG
    LENOVO.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 97

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
just seen Lenovo India site... some models are having only SSD and and some having HDD...my qn is with only SSD with 256 GB or 500 GB where to keep my data? any provisionto add HDD of 1 TB to those models ? or any provision to add SSD with only HDD?
Get one with SSD, 3500U and it most probably would have an empty 2.5" sata slot.
Edit: The one with HDD theoretically should have empty m.2 slot for ssd but it'll be a hassle to do a fresh install of OS. If you are okay with that, a 512 GB SSD would cost you at least 5.6K.
Also, don't waste money on a dual core laptop.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Usually laptops with m2/nvme ssd also have empty hdd slot, I know that asus ryzen laptop ssd models have empty hdd slot as mentioned in reviews on amazon. Adding ssd to a laptop under warranty is always full of hassle as you need to get it done at laptop brand authorized service centre(& pay service charge of 500-900) or else your laptop warranty may be void.

Get 512GB SSD model. SSDs are much faster than HDD& you can easily see the difference in daily usage, the whole laptop is just more responsive & faster.

As said earlier, that laptop has free space for 2.5" slot. Some manufacturers go through the trouble of not including the required cable & caddy, but others do give it in the box. I'm not sure if necessary cables & all are provided. Other way is also true, omission of M.2 slot, but again, mostly it will be there. I have seen both of the cases on HP laptops though & lack of HDD cable for Dell.

Check the manual & look for words like if its present or supported models or just ask Lenovo support.

Using an SSD on laptop + ext HDD is always an option & better one than using an in-built 1TB HDD.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
How is this model ?

*www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobook-14-...n=homepage&ssid=8bjdnh7r1vmaiv401587566307445

According to the buyer's review, one 4GB Ram slot soldered to the motherboard another one user-replaceable comes with 4GB module though, Fixed Ram module out 2 out of 4 used by the VEGA Graphics...This laptop comes with 2.5 inch SATA port as empty as well as a backlit keyboard and weighs around 1.5 Kg according to the page.

My question similar config available for 13 inches from other reputed companies with the similar prices?

First review worth reading @ below

Reviewing after using for 10 days...

1.Display- The most important thing in a laptop is display. I am not disappointed by the quality of the display but it is good, not the best but considering the price point it is above average. Viewing angles are OK, picture quality too. It is an TN panel not an IPS one so don't expect so much. It is 14inch 1080p display.

2.Design- Here, I am not only impressed but surprised too. The quality of the plastic used in it is good. And the design is just awesome. The edge of the display are really thin and gives it a modern look. Weight distribution is good too. What makes it unique in this price point is the "Argo Lift Hinge" it lifts up the laptop base by 2° which helps in both cooling and typing. I am really happy with the design.

3.Performance- In this price bracket most of the laptop comes with either 8th gen intel i5 or i3 10th gen but in this laptop Asus made a perfect decision by going with Ryzen 5 2nd gen(3500u) Processor. Which is not only good in performance but also better in gpu than intel. The Radeon Vega 8 Graphics helps you to play most of the modern games at low to medium settings and able to do video editing, not the professional one but normal one. Now, the technical specs are it is Ryzen 5 3500u 2nd gen. AMD's processor built on 12nm process and comes with zen+ architecture, it has 4 cores/8 threads and the most importantly Radeon Vega 8 Graphics clocked at 1200mhz or 1.2Ghz with 8 cores and 2gb of memory. It is really best in performance in this price point.

3.Memory and Storage-It comes with 8GB of DDR4 RAM with a frequency of 2400mhz. Now, memory is upgradable but one thing to note that their are one pairs of ram in this laptop so 4gb+4g but one in soldered to the board so only one stick is upgradable and its max support is 12GB so you will be only able to replace one 4GB stick with 8GB with same frequency.

Another thing is that though their is a graphics in this laptop but it is not dedicated, so it uses laptop's ram for processing. We actually get 6gb out of 8gb (2gb for graphics card). If you go max out at 12gb you will be going to get 10gb max. It is OK for most of the normal users.

The storage in this system is fabulous. It comes with a 512GB nvme m.2 ssd out of which 477 gb is usable and 450gb after installing windows what we get. It is really fast and apps opens just with a click. Everything runs really smooth. Their is an option for installation another 2.5inch drive.

4.trackpad and Keyboard- Actually I am not very happy with the trackpad because of its small size but don't get me wrong it works just fine and comes with gesture support too.

I like the keyboard but it is not full size. The key board is really good with 1.3mm key travel. This is a chicklet style keyboard. Typing in dark isn't a problem due to backlight option with 3 mode brightness.

5. Cooling-Many laptop comes with a fan which sounds horrible and sounds like jet engine but it comes with a very silent fan and it also ramps up in heavy load and keeps the laptop pretty cool all the time.

6.Additional Features- It has a pretty good finger print scanner placed above the trackpad. It has pretty silent fan. Good quality speaker. Good design. Support fast charging 60%in 49mins.

7.Battery Backup- Really Really disappointed with battery backup, with normal usage it lasts only for 3 to 4 hours and with gaming only for 2 hours which is not great. So if you plan to use it for office keep your adapter with in the bag. The adapter is really small and light weight so it shouldn't be a problem.

8. Gaming- I ran GTA 5, PUBG Mobile, PUBG PC Lite which it handles smoothly with fps of 50 to 60 approx. With low to medium settings. It is not for hardcore gamers, for casual gamings it is OK.

9.Conclusion- So for whom this laptop is? It is for student, office, home users because with 1080p display watching content or productivity or browsing web or playing causal games it is good. It handels day to day task really easily. In this price point it is good.

Hit a like if you liked my review.
Raja Biswas
Certified Buyer, Bansberia

23 days ago

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Red flag there. If you can live with 6 GB (effective) / 4 GB (after deducting windows usage) ram, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply, Max it can go 12 GB by installing 8 GB module there but actual RAM will be 10 GB (as minus 2 GB) for the future.

Any laptop with AMD Ryzen 3500U don't have this, 13/14 inch preferable and must be lightweight in this budget...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That asus model is very good if 14" screen is not too small for you, as for 13" screen those come only in expensive ultrabooks. Also 12gb ram is more than enough for any typical usage/moderate game usage with ryzen 3500u.

Top Bottom