suggest a good config for heavy photoshop user

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2K

In the Zone
guys ..........i plan to buy new system which will be used mainly for working on photoshop and some video editing stuff........
for these kinda usage should i go for a quad core or is it enough to settle with a core2 duo
i also want to know how much ram can i use with win xp 32 bit sp3.....
the photoshop version which i work with is cs2..i don't intent to buy a gfx card as this system will be not be used for gaming

my budget is around 30K

Krow

Crowman
For a 30k budget, go for an AMD based quad core solution.

AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k
ASUS M4A785G-TD-V-EVO @ 6.7k
2x2GB DDR3 RAM @ 4.5k
Samsung 2033SW @ 7k
Gigabyte 460W @ 2.5k or Corsair CX400W @ 3.2k
Rest for DVD RW/Speakers/kbd/mouse ~ 3k

You don't need a gfx card with this system as the onboard gfx is more than enough to play most games @ low-med res. Intel config at this budget will be outdated soon as Intel is releasing new architecture in a couple of months. Also, AMD is better at this budget.

You can use about 3.25GB RAM with XP 32bit SP3. It is going to be limited to 2.75GB as you will use onboard gfx, but you can go to the bios and change settings to make it 256 MB ram shared with gfx ram. I suggest you use Win7 x64 as it runs most 32bit XP apps too. :)

allmighty

Broken In
well, he'ill need a dedicated graphic card(mid to econmy range but preferably with 512 ram ) and all the system ram he can afford (8gb is a norm in pro pc but 4gb will also do)..also two hard disk setup is highly recommended ...second hard can be (and should be) used as a scratch disk ...

Krow

Crowman
^Dedicated GFX is not a must. I myself use photoshop on the IGP and I have faced no problems whatsoever as the IGP shares memory with RAM. So by default you have 640MB VRAM (128MB Dedicated + 512MB Shared RAM).

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. in that case, a 785G chipset should be more than enough. Give it a 64 bit windows and loads and loads of ram and your photoshop (64-bit edition) will be flying ;)

allmighty

Broken In
^^^ yup ! its not a must..but it will certainly be better...i am just saying that so u guys can push in a low to mid range card in his budget if possible...as he also want to do so some video editing stuff , try that with IGP , not much fun unless he is talking about window movie maker....

and he said "heavy" photoshop user....the keyword is "heavy"...urs or mine usage of photoshop may not be equal to him...

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
^Yes, I read heavy and you do not know my usage of photoshop. I don't use it all the time, but when I need to it is for 8+ hours a day continuously for a period a a week or so. I used to run that well on my old Pentium 4 machine with 1.5GB of RAM on WinXP. The version was CS3. Although Premiere did not run well on my old rig for any movie of more than 8 minutes.

OP has said that he is a heavy Photoshop CS2 user. This config is great for CS2 as it is very less resource hogging than CS3. I have seen people work on CS2 all day texturing for Maya on a computer with C2D and 2GB RAM. You don't need a super beast to run Photoshop CS2. The config we have suggested is more than enough for his needs and budget. With my IGP, I have made a film of about 10 minutes with ease, it got loaded only when I put in 22GB of footage, but then again, OP has not said that he is a heavy video editor.

allmighty

Broken In
@ Krow
no, sadly i dont know ur usage of photoshop ..that's why i said that it "may" not be equal to him ..."may" was the word there..but i am glad now that told me cause i am really amazed..

and i am sure if u have manged to do all those amazing thing with ur pc ,hell then anybody can do it.. :)
yes. in that case, a 785G chipset should be more than enough. Give it a 64 bit windows and loads and loads of ram and your photoshop (64-bit edition) will be flying ;)
i agree, also i googled for 785 G chipset it seems pretty good to me with its onboard solution ...rest is also good as per krow said .... but i highly recommend a two hard disk system though..

OP
R2K

R2K

In the Zone
thank u guys for ur suggestions.............actually this machine will be replacing our old pentium 4 prescott with 512 mb ram.........the system really chokes if u use more than 2 programs at same time...........
this system is gonna be used as main designing rig at our photolab..........i mentioned heavy photoshop usage because we run that software all day........editing images which contains more than 20 + layers....
why do u guys suggest gfx card for this machine.........IMO photoshop's performance depends more on ram and proccy rather than on gfx card......

for video editing we use ulead video studio and adobe premiere
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
For a 30k budget, go for an AMD based quad core solution.

AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k
ASUS M4A785G-TD-V-EVO @ 6.7k
2x2GB DDR3 RAM @ 4.5k
Samsung 2033SW @ 7k
Gigabyte 460W @ 2.5k or Corsair CX400W @ 3.2k
Rest for DVD RW/Speakers/kbd/mouse ~ 3k

You don't need a gfx card with this system as the onboard gfx is more than enough to play most games @ low-med res. Intel config at this budget will be outdated soon as Intel is releasing new architecture in a couple of months. Also, AMD is better at this budget.

You can use about 3.25GB RAM with XP 32bit SP3. It is going to be limited to 2.75GB as you will use onboard gfx, but you can go to the bios and change settings to make it 256 MB ram shared with gfx ram. I suggest you use Win7 x64 as it runs most 32bit XP apps too. :)

can we really compare the performance of
AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k with intel core 2 quad......i mean the price differance of both proccy seems unbelievable:-D

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
@ Krow
no, sadly i dont know ur usage of photoshop ..that's why i said that it "may" not be equal to him ..."may" was the word there..but i am glad now that told me cause i am really amazed..
and i am sure if u have manged to do all those amazing thing with ur pc ,hell then anybody can do it.. :)
No worries buddy. Yes my old rig was good until I tried Premiere CS3 on it, when its lags became evident. :(

i agree, also i googled for 785 G chipset it seems pretty good to me with its onboard solution ...rest is also good as per krow said .... but i highly recommend a two hard disk system though..
Two HDD system is a must for all these days. One for usage and one for backup. For PS users too 2 HDD systems are beneficial. :) Yes, the onboard is really nice with the 785G chipset, becoming a Unique Selling Proposition (USP).

thank u guys for ur suggestions.............actually this machine will be replacing our old pentium 4 prescott with 512 mb ram.........the system really chokes if u use more than 2 programs at same time...........
this system is gonna be used as main designing rig at our photolab..........i mentioned heavy photoshop usage because we run that software all day........editing images which contains more than 20 + layers....
why do u guys suggest gfx card for this machine.........IMO photoshop's performance depends more on ram and proccy rather than on gfx card......
Yes, PS won't need a good graphic card. The onboard is pretty powerful anyway.

for video editing we use ulead video studio and adobe premiere

can we really compare the performance of
AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k with intel core 2 quad......i mean the price differance of both proccy seems unbelievable:-D
AMD Athlon II X4 620 = 5.5k. It beats Intel Q8200 @ ~7.5-8k. Its on par with Intel Q8300 @ ~8-8.5k. It loses out by small margins to Intel Q8400 @ ~8.5-9k.

Yes, AMD has a trump card for photoshop/premiere users like you, who don't have unlimited budget. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom