Sub 20k Windows vs Android confusion..help me decide!

vishnov

Journeyman
Lumia 1320 vs Lumia 820 vs Grand 2 vs Lenovo P780 vs Xperia C vs BB Z10

Help me decide a phone ONLY amongst these. No OS preferences.

I need Good Quality Camera, Above Average Gaming Performance, No Lags and Good Media Capablities.

(i don't think filling questionnaire is necessary here) :cool:

Thanks in advance...plz help!

My personal views : (Really it's my views)

Lumia 1320: Big size, so no

Lumia 820: Heavy @ 180g+ , so no

Grand 2 is good for its price. But still a bit big for me. I want to operate phone single handedly

P780 has great battery life which is a must thing for smartphones. But as its 5" big & weighs 175g, so a no for me

Z10 seems good but has questionable performance & camera, when compared to others + BB OS. So no for me

For 20k, I would personally opt for S4 Mini as I need dual SIM phone. That aside Xperia SP is undoubtedly a great phone.

OP
vishnov

vishnov

Journeyman

Grand 2 is good for its price. But still a bit big for me. I want to operate phone single handedly

P780 has great battery life which is a must thing for smartphones. But as its 5" big & weighs 175g, so a no for me

Z10 seems good but has questionable performance & camera, when compared to others + BB OS. So no for me

For 20k, I would personally opt for S4 Mini as I need dual SIM phone. That aside Xperia SP is undoubtedly a great phone.

thnx anupam_pb for reply, i still have a few doubts though!

i really had a soft spot for lumia 1320 for its good battery life, lag free UI and decent camera capablities. Does it fit easily in pockets and is it that troublesome to own a 6" phablet? Just asking :lol:

other than its weight does Lenovo P780 have other issues?

S4 mini is OK..but 4.3" screen a bit to small for my taste. 4.7" would have worked for me though. How is gaming, camera performance and overall smoothness of S4 mini when compared to Grand 2?

and finally is Xperia SP a worthy mobile in terms of overall performance (incl. battery backup)?

achyutaghosh

Journeyman

I need Good Quality Camera, Above Average Gaming Performance, No Lags and Good Media Capablities.

OP, you really need to decide on the platform first- Android, WP or Blackberry....then we can help with the product. FYI none of the above products can do all that you are asking for very well. Around 20k the best phone would be the Xperia SP

Shah

Cyborg Agent

If you want a Windows Phone in that range, Wait for a month or so. So that new WP8.1 devices might come with 1GB of RAM. ;)

i really had a soft spot for lumia 1320 for its good battery life, lag free UI and decent camera capablities. Does it fit easily in pockets and is it that troublesome to own a 6" phablet? Just asking :lol:

S4 mini is OK..but 4.3" screen a bit to small for my taste. 4.7" would have worked for me though. How is gaming, camera performance and overall smoothness of S4 mini when compared to Grand 2?

and finally is Xperia SP a worthy mobile in terms of overall performance (incl. battery backup)?

Size preference varies person to person..... Initially i too thought 4.7" is good enough for me, but after using N4 for 7 months +, i now think S2 @ 4.3" was appropriate size for mobile, 4.5" is fine too(used my friend's Moto G). As far as my next phone is concerned, I will opt for 4.5" or less screen size, lesser weight(if possible, 140g feels bit heavy, not much of a problem though) & won't buy Nexus device, will try to get Samsung/LG/Sony

SP is a great device. Moto X will launch soon................. Expected price 25k.....same specs as SP but with 2GB RAM, better cameras(front n rear) & an AMOLED display

Motorola Moto X vs. Sony Xperia SP - GSMArena.com

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Size preference varies person to person..... Initially i too thought 4.7" is good enough for me, but after using N4 for 7 months +, i now think S2 @ 4.3" was appropriate size for mobile, 4.5" is fine too(used my friend's Moto G). As far as my next phone is concerned, I will opt for 4.5" or less screen size, lesser weight(if possible, 140g feels bit heavy, not much of a problem though) & won't buy Nexus device, will try to get Samsung/LG/Sony

SP is a great device. Moto X will launch soon................. Expected price 25k.....same specs as SP but with 2GB RAM, better cameras(front n rear) & an AMOLED display

Motorola Moto X vs. Sony Xperia SP - GSMArena.com

Why no nexus?? Is it the size alone? BTW, I am using a Nexus5 and I am very very happy with the size.

PS:: I was using a note 2 before :p

Minion

Conversation Architect
Why no nexus?? Is it the size alone? BTW, I am using a Nexus5 and I am very very happy with the size.

PS:: I was using a note 2 before :p

battery backup is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry forget to tell i am not a nexus user but heard about bad battery backup.

- - - Updated - - -

@OP get Xperia ZL

Yellow Spark

Right off the assembly line
WP is great.... Great camera..... Great gaming performance.... I would suggest Lumia 820.... But u must wait for Windows phone 8.1..... Hundreds new features..... I cant wait....
The only disadv is lack of some official apps

Yellow Spark

Why does any one buys a smart phone it it doesnot have all the smart apps.

As a great man somwhere said

A Smart phone without all the apps for free is not a Smart phone.

TechDudePrakash

why should one buy......?
Because its much much much faster than that damn android.... And soon the app shortage will be fulfilled as each day I see new apps....
Most of my frnds have android and I have never seen any one of them opening google play.... Whats its use....if noone uses it.... And when I download a good game in my WP then they ask me to send it using appsharer..... Hahaha..... Apk vs xap? Too much choices are there on android and good games are started coming in WP and whats great is XBOX LIVE! wohooooo.... XBOX LIVE is awesome........

nmenon

Broken In
An interesting list of phones. The Lumia 820 is a very good phone with a decent camera and good specs. Multimedia wise also it gives good output with a decent pair of headphones or speakers. The Moto X has just come in and makes a lot of sense with some innovative features but it may lose out on ultimate performance due to its Dual Core processor. Xperia C is decent with a 5" screen but the MTK SoC is not the best in terms of performance. If you don't mind an Indian Brand the Micromax Canvas Knight is worth a look.
But since you say among your listed phones Lumia 820 and Grand2 should have the best performance, Lenovo P780 for Battery Life.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
U just think its fast and full of all the greatest apps in the world.

i would like to highlight some more cons

there is no proper mail attachment available

there are no games like NFS most wanted, GTA San Andreas, and more high level games that cant even start cos none of WP's are capable to run the high end graphics.

the games u call as cool are just noob games that even little kids dont play as they are sooo boring

and most of all the software is not as customize-able as there is no customization at all except changing color of the tiles. who wants a sad phone with sad options.

i just dont know like u r arguing on a baseless fact that android rocks and it beats windows any time.!!

P.S: Apologies [MENTION=260550]vishnov[/MENTION] to take the topic away from the discussions. hope u don't get offended.

lolwut my 720 with dev unlock also plays gta san andreas perfectly
the only issue with wp8 is the music player but an aftermarket one is usually better in every platform/os
infact a dual core lumia can play games better than a quad core android in most cases
im not saying its better than the really higher end androids but it is certainly not underpowered and the only androids which give them a run for gaming are the nexus 7s(2012 model is for 10k and 2013 is for 20k)
mail attachments work perfectly in my phone and it is actually very smooth despite 512mb ram
just like android launchers there are apps which act like launchers in wp8

as for calling an OS superior , android isnt superior to wp8 there are tonnes of things wp8 does better than android
each to their own preference
keep in mind i have devices of every OS and my choice of an everyday phone is my lumia 720 and 820 and choice of tablet is an ipad + a nexus 7 so im neutral here but i also have android phones and iphones but each os is good for a certain category of devices imo

windows phone 8 for best phones
ios for best large screen tablet
android for best 7 inch portable tablets
blackberry for best keyboard and productivity phone

keep in mind these are my views after using all OS's and i certainly hate the way most people on these forums are soo pro android i mean there is a world beyond android
android is a great os but it has its limitations just like ios,wp8,bbos,bb10 etc
it all matters on what a person wants froma phone
every os has its own set of pros and cons
we arent selling phones to the op we are supposed to help op select a phone according to his needs based on our experiences
I love every OS but each for a specific purpose not one OS to rule them all

@ op the 820 is the best windows phone overall imo
i personally have 2 720s , an 820 and an 1020 in my household and i can vouch for the 820 to be a solid performer and a very solid well built phone
if u want android - the nexus series or the xperias are the best droids ive had so far

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting list of phones. The Lumia 820 is a very good phone with a decent camera and good specs. Multimedia wise also it gives good output with a decent pair of headphones or speakers. The Moto X has just come in and makes a lot of sense with some innovative features but it may lose out on ultimate performance due to its Dual Core processor. Xperia C is decent with a 5" screen but the MTK SoC is not the best in terms of performance. If you don't mind an Indian Brand the Micromax Canvas Knight is worth a look.
But since you say among your listed phones Lumia 820 and Grand2 should have the best performance, Lenovo P780 for Battery Life.

id avoid indian brands atleast in my city, mumbai my friend had a micromax canvas turbo whose micro usb port was broken and they took it in for repair for over a month and he was given a wiped phone without data at the end of it
it could be a stray incident but id be a bit cautious or keep regular backups just to be safe
as for devices with MTK socs they are nice and efficient but when it comes to gaming they are a bit laggy compared to say a snapdragon dual core
ohh and +1000 for the 820 , P780 and grand 2 all are very VFM

- - - Updated - - -

Why does any one buys a smart phone it it doesnot have all the smart apps.

As a great man somwhere said

A Smart phone without all the apps for free is not a Smart phone.
TechDudePrakash

it has all the major apps and nokia and microsoft are working very hard on porting and writing quality apps

- - - Updated - - -

battery backup is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry forget to tell i am not a nexus user but heard about bad battery backup.

- - - Updated - - -

@OP get Xperia ZL

it has decent battery life , my friend has one and it lasts him a day on moderate usage and a bit of light gaming

- - - Updated - - -

Among all the models u have selected go for "Lenove P780"

though its a Lenovo phone but if u r lookin for a feature packed and a loaded with specs then this is ur best option.

lenovo sadly has only one issue , it doesnt get updates easily
even samsungs and experias get updates but lenovo despite having great hardware doesnt update android
i have a lenovo tablet and its great overall except that its stuck on android 4.0.3 with no plans for updates
that being said it is still a great tablet with a very well built body especially the back finish

- - - Updated - - -

coming from the 720 and 820 i feel the 1320 camera is very so-so compared to the other 720+ lumias
it doesnt have a pureview sensor
the 720,820 and 92X have downsized pureview sensors
the 1320 camera is decent otherwise if op doesnt need a very high quality camera
keep in mind the camera in the 1320 is inferior only to the higher lumias not to the 620,520,525 or some cheaper android offerings

- - - Updated - - -

z10 doesnt have bbos it has BB10 which is essentially a QNX based os rewritten from scratch and has android runtime so it can run both android apps and blackberry apps

bbos is refered to phones upto OS7.1 not the newer and better 10-series
s4 mini is not really a deal breaker i would rather go for say the galaxy grand 2 or something instead
the s4 mini is overpriced and the screen and specs are sub par compared to samsungs own offerings in the same range
xperia Sp is a delicious phone btw so +1000 to that

z10 doesnt have bbos it has BB10 which is essentially a QNX based os rewritten from scratch and has android runtime so it can run both android apps and blackberry apps

bbos is refered to phones upto OS7.1 not the newer and better 10-series
s4 mini is not really a deal breaker i would rather go for say the galaxy grand 2 or something instead
the s4 mini is overpriced and the screen and specs are sub par compared to samsungs own offerings in the same range
xperia Sp is a delicious phone btw so +1000 to that

S4 Mini's screen is AMOLED, might not be a dealbreaker for you, but its better than IPS LCD, for me

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
S4 Mini's screen is AMOLED, might not be a dealbreaker for you, but its better than IPS LCD, for me

its small compared to other phones and is massively overpriced in its offerring even in comparison to the galaxy grand 2
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Review: A Promise That Does Not Deliver - Forbes

smalltiger_s

Your requirements which say "ood Quality Camera, Above Average Gaming Performance, No Lags and Good Media Capablities" are as if someone is describing a Windows Phone.

I use a iPhone 4S - work phone (great one hand usage, lags with latest OS, great camera, great screen for gaming, screen a tad too small for gaming and media consumption) for office work.

I use Nokia 920 as my personal device (the camera is fantastic, better than most cameras, love the speed of the handset, lags v v occasionally, WP has most of the games and apps not all and one Windows phone model 1520 was ranked by gsmarena as the best gaming mobile a month or so back, google, and in battery endurance 1320 rates better than 90% of the phones in the budget)

The other phone is a Note 2. (love the diversity of the OS, but despite everything, it still takes a good 3 seconds to open the contacts). i like it for the big screen that is all.

6 inch 1320 is massive and it doesnot wasily fit into most jeans pockets, that is given. also its camera is ok, not superlative. I would much rather suggest Nokia 720 for the same platform and the fluidity and the camera or a 920 if you can get one.

its small compared to other phones and is massively overpriced in its offerring even in comparison to the galaxy grand 2
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Review: A Promise That Does Not Deliver - Forbes

Grand 2 has 5" display, so it's a bit big for me............ I don't think you have problem with 5" size, so Grand 2 is better for you
Each person has their own personal choice

Top Bottom