Study shows why exercise boosts brainpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
Exercise boosts brainpower by building new brain cells in a brain region linked with memory and memory loss, U.S. researchers reported on Monday. Tests on mice showed they grew new brain cells in a brain region called the dentate gyrus, a part of the hippocampus that is known to be affected in the age-related memory decline that begins around age 30 for most humans.The researchers used magnetic resonance imaging scans to help document the process in mice -- and then used MRIs to look at the brains of people before and after exercise. They found the same patterns, which suggests that people also grow new brain cells when they exercise.

Exercise generated blood flow to the dentate gyrus of the people, and the more fit a person got, the more blood flow the MRI detected, the researchers found. "Our next step is to identify the exercise regimen that is most beneficial to improve cognition and reduce normal memory loss, so that physicians may be able to prescribe specific types of exercise to improve memory," Small said.

Read the full report here.

techbliss

Right off the assembly line
which out of the two:

physical exercise or mental exercise increases or boosts memory power more?

techbliss

Right off the assembly line
Right amount of physical exercise coupled with lots of mental exercise can create wonders. But what amount? that needs to be discussed.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
techbliss said:
Right amount of physical exercise coupled with lots of mental exercise can create wonders. But what amount? that needs to be discussed.
Some people from villages say that eating sweets improves brain performance! I don't believe in such things. Whenever i hear this, i start :lol: badly. :lol:

T

thunderbird.117

I started doing exercise mainly because of my tummy. lool.

gofeddy

Broken In
thunderbird.117 said:
I started doing exercise mainly because of my tummy. lool.

Hey,
what excersice do you do to reduce your tummy? i need some advice.
by the way, is it working for u?

T

thunderbird.117

gofeddy said:
Hey,
what excersice do you do to reduce your tummy? i need some advice.
by the way, is it working for u?

I do variety of exercise. I suggest you to google for what type of exercise. That is where i looked. My tummy is reducing little bit. Yes it is working great. Also it takes time to reduce the tummy it does not happen overnight. Just keep doing exercise everyday also do not over do exercise. When i overdid the exercise. Do it slowly and steady. :)

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Exersize helps a lot in improving brain power. When you exersize your lungs take more oxyzen. This extra oxtzen goes to your brain and empower your brain.

piyush gupta said:
Any tips for exercise::D

One If you can exersize in afternoon do thaT. It helped my lots of friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom