Strange DDR3 (1333Mhz) RAM Problem on Msi x58 mobo

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

I have Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3 (3x1GB) RAM Kit running on MSi X58 Pro -E motherboard, with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit OS

Now, as all x58 mobos support tri channel memory, my 3GB Ram kit only shows 2GB :confused:

It started to happen cpl of weeks ago,

scenario-1: All 3 Sticks inserted in the 3 BLUE Slots
The System fails to start up (Constant Restarts) and does NOT even gets to the BIOS/POST screen
===============================================
===============================================

scenario-2: All 3 Sticks inserted in the 3 BLACK Slots

1.) Wen i insert 1 RAM Stick, it gets properly Detected as 1GB (1024MB @ BIOS)

2.) Wen i insert 2 RAM Sticks, it gets properly Detected as 2GB (2048MB @ BIOS)

...but...

3.) Wen i insert the 3rd and final RAM Stick, boom..it gets Detected ONLY as 2GB instead of the normal 3GB (3072MB @ BIOS) :confused:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALso, i Tried exchanging th RAM Sticks thinking that the 3rd Stick out of the 3 Sticks might be faulty, but its NOT the case...

Stick 1+Stick 2=2GB Detected.......... (Good case)
Stick 1+Stick 3=2GB Detected.......... (Good case)
Stick 2+Stick 3=2GB Detected.......... (Good case)
...but...
As soon as the 3rd Stick is inserted, its still stuck @ 2GB :(
---------------------

So cant figure out wats the problem... is the RAM slots at fault../??? :confused:

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
thanx for the suggestion, but i will NOT go in for a BIOS upgrade dude, its always a risky situation.. :)

Aslo, as i said that previously (2-3 weeks ago) it was being detected fine (Complete 3GB) so i guess sum other inputs will be helpful.. but thanx.. :) appreciate it..

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

Is that s/ware MemTest or MemTest86.>?? :confused: (Sorry, hv no idea, so kind of feeling lost) .. :(

Also, shud each (single) Stick be tested on all 6 slots (3Blue+3Black) using memtest.. one by one..??

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
thanx for the suggestion, but i will NOT go in for a BIOS upgrade dude, its always a risky situation.. :)

Aslo, as i said that previously (2-3 weeks ago) it was being detected fine (Complete 3GB) so i guess sum other inputs will be helpful.. but thanx.. :) appreciate it..

bro bios updates nowadays r not risky at all just make sure ur ups is working perfectly install msi liveupdate & the sofware will do it automatically for u

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
ok, will check at the MSi website for any upgrade options, lets see.. will keep u ppl updated here with any sort of progress.. :)

Krow

Crowman
Memtest86 is the software. Run it with each stick to see if any stick is giving any errors.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
ok, will check at the MSi website for any upgrade options, lets see.. will keep u ppl updated here with any sort of progress.. :)

Go to the MSI forums, they have a BIOS flash utility. There is a moderator there, Jake the Noob, or John the Noob. The BIOS flash utility link is in his signature.

Test each stick once, on the slot closest to the CPU. Use the DOS version.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Problem might be with:
1. motherboard, like, you should update your bios, or in worst case ram slot(s) have gone bad.
2. ram module(s) is/are creating problem, use memtest to confirm it.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thnx to both of u guys for ur replies..

well this is wat i did,

1.) went to MSi.com, in their support section downloaded their utility tool knon as "LIVE UPDATE-5"

2.) My current BIOS version (as shown by the MSi utility tool) was 8.E0 and hence i d/loaded the latest version 8.F0 and then flashed my BIOS (as per the install instructions given by the BIOS update installer.

3.) Updated the INTEL INF drivers (also using the MSi tool)
----------------

so, after doin all that, Im still stuck with 2GB detected RAM wen I hv 3GB installed. :confused:

edit: can it be a OS issue..?? :confused:

also, I inserted jus a single RAM stick in the very 1st slot (closest to the CPU) (i.e 1st BLUE slot) and the system did NOT go till the Boot screen (system was jus running with my monitor LED blinking and then system restarts and again LCD blinks)

secondly, I inserted a second RAM stick in the 3rd slot (i.e 2nd BLUE slot)....same thing as above... :(

finally, inserted the 3rd and final stick in the 5th slot (i.e 3rd BLUE slot) and alas..! the same boring thing.. :(
------------------------

edit: I really do not know how the RAM sticks can be termed as faulty using MemTest, i mean wen i hv installed 3GB but system detects it as 2GB and wen i ran the Memtest86 tool for an hour for the option "run test for all UNUSED RAM", it showed me no errors... :confused: shud i hv manually entered the total amt of RAM (in MB) as 3072.. instead of choosing the default option of "run test for all UNUSED RAM" ???

bcoz (wat im guessing) for the simple reason that any one of the 3 RAM Sticks itself is NOT getting detected by the PC at the 1st point, so the test is running for jus 2GB of detected RAM..
------------

doin test again (this time) by manually entering 3072MB ... lets see... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom